HybridZ

Wankel's in the car now

auxilary

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
actually, fl327 suggested plates of EL WANK. I was thinking more along the lines of FLM TRWR

no- I voted for WANGSTA, cause you are one :D jh/k

im still hopefully going to be ready for your 13btt, got race map?

dude, your Z will be faster than mine. Remember, no torque of hte line, no boost until 4krpm, and my torque curve will look like the peak of K2. It's not going to be TT because turbos won't clear the frame rails.

I'm towing it to mike's shop on saturday to get frame rails sleeved and reinforced, and mount the motor with professional grade motor mounts. Then I need to pick up a turbo (still figuring that one out) and start finishing this.

Driver_side_mount.sized.jpg

Complete driver's side mount. These are 1/4" steel.

Pass_side_mount_4.sized.jpg

Passenger side mount

Driver_mount_weld_closeup2.sized.jpg

Weld_close_up.sized.jpg

Quality of the welds. Astounding!

Enlarging_coolant_plug_hole_2.sized.jpg

Mounts being touched up and modified

Mike_welding.sized.jpg

Mike_welding_2.sized.jpg

Mr. 73botiz himself tig welding in action!

Naked_Z_2.sized.jpg

There really is a long block in there!

Naked_Z_5.sized.jpg

Look at the cute motor!

Big thanks to Mike for taking time to help me out with this, and big thanks to jumbo240ez (Jon) and my friend Rob for killing a full day designing and making original mounts with me.

that is unreal :shock: those welds are fantastic! if the radiator doesn't take up too much space you should be able carry a full set of spare tires! one in the back, two on either side of the engine and one between the engine and rad!! :wink: and talk about low centre of gravity!!!

very cool!!!

Why not just run the header to the front of the engine and mount them (the turbos) there, then run the pipes back under? It's not like you'll have a heat problem as you have plenty of room to make a hood with slots and scoops and room for a monstrous fan :shock: I've seen forward mounted turbo setups done on other cars, with the exhaust wrapped to retain heat I think it would work just fine :D Would also make oil drain easier since you could run straight to the pan without having to make sharp bends. Just my $0.02

I thought about doing that, but exhaust tube would be extremely long and cause lots of turbolag before the turbo would start spooling. Plus, it would interfere with coolant lines and such. I can mount it off the side, here's a general idea:

turbofit.jpg

Rough cheesy photoshop

Hm, interesting, but the exhaust ports are closer to the frame rail than that, I don't think that would fit all too well. What type of header is that, and who makes it?

header.jpg

real rough sketch of a base idea of a header. Main pipe would be 3" in diameter, with a 1.5 or 2" pipe from each exhaust joining into it. It could be easily made from common jcwhitney/summit tubing.