HybridZ

Wankel's in the car now

auxilary

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything looks awesome so far ecspecially those welds.. like butter!

I did a rough acad rendering of your header( I need the practice!).

It should give a little bit of an idea of what your working with.. I love 3D!

modules.php?op=modload&name=coppermine&file=displayimagepopup&pid=175&fullsize=1

Good luck with everything, Sam

I hope it brings you better luck than Roy Holmes! My great grandfather was mysteriously killed over the patent of the first rotory motor. As we say in our family "Wankle garbage". No offence to you or your Z. It actually looks really good. I just hope one day to see an Irish Holmes rotory motor. Good luck

Try and center everything.

Ray

• 3 weeks later...

dang that thing is small....

that could probly fit in the back with and audi transaxle.....

or maybe a porche tranny convertion....

:::drool:::

I bet that thing will fly in the corners. And will take boost like a stoner to drugs.

• 4 weeks later...

snail2.jpg

Well, got the snail from James Thagard, but I've had flu for a week, started a new job, and went to MSA :( haven't made much headway in the past month because I got caught up on a bunch of projects, including regular maintenance on the daily driver that had to be done. Still gotta do the timing belt and brakes.

I need to get the machine exhaust gasket template from Mike so I can start building the exhaust manifold, and I'm just collecting parts (gauges, turbo, fpr, etc)

• 2 weeks later...

It's amazing how useful ABS piping is.

manifold1.jpg

manifold2.jpg

manifold3.jpg

Hopefully now that my dryspell of not working on the car's over, I'll get some stuff done. That's the mockup, and the only things that would be changed are the pipe thickness to 3", and length shortened by about 2". I left extra space just in case.

thanks for reminding me. I suppose that would be an excuse for a teardown/rebuild with a street port and 3mm units, right? I could also take out the restrictive RE exhaust sleeves, and get a 1.00 exhaust a/r instead of .84 I chose for midrange power :)

Hrm, not sure about that 1.0 a/r. would be that much sweeter on top side, but think about where you live... now imagine having to drive up SF hills (if you live in sf that is) without the little torque you had down low.... fear! 8) then again you could go for the best of both worlds and find an old turbonetics VATN equipped unit.... that'll do nicely, but good luck findind someone who will part with one :?

• 4 weeks later...

PICT0009.sized.jpg

Final passenger side motormount

PICT0010.sized.jpg

Final driver side motormount

PICT0024.sized.jpg

PICT0022.sized.jpg

You can see the prototype exhaust manifold I'm making on the top. It's a nuissance when I only have about 6" of space to work with, and this thing is 3" OD.

PICT0025.sized.jpg

Engine cleaned, new seals in place, replaced oil chain, hammerred out the dented oilpan, and stripped the engine bay for repaint. THis is the final location, frame rails have been reinforced and sleeved. The only time this motor will come out is when it's time to paint the engine bay.

PICT0062.sized.jpg

PICT0063.sized.jpg

fuel cell complete. Thanks 73botiz for mounts and fuel cell box!

PICT0065.sized.jpg

Shifter position.