HybridZ

Wankel's in the car now

auxilary

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was actually thinking of making an internal baffle for the fuel cell, to prevent all the fuel from sloshing to the "back" of the cell on acceleration. BTW, Your swap is looking pretty good Aux, that manifold looks sweet!

Mike

• 3 weeks later...
Guest exlex
mazda never put the 4 rotor in production. mazda repu (rotary engined pick ups) had a 2 rotor motor. 3 rotor exists only in 98+ mazda cosmo.

I know noone likes an smartass but... (especially from a user thats a newbie on the forum :D )

The Eunos (mazda) Cosmo was sold in Japan between -90 to -96 when it got discontinued. Both the 2rotor (13b twinturbo) and the 3rotor (20b twinturbo) was available for all yearmodels. So it is possible to get a 20b engine from early 90's

Guest hf240z

hi,

i am wondering if you have picture on the transmission mounting and more on the engine mounting on how it looks right now.

secured, at least. big thanks to my friend rob, and especially jon (jumbo240ez) for making the trek out to help out with welding. Motor's in the car, not as far back as most would expect though. These mounts still need some work, but they are the exact layout of where the motor needs to be, so I can start working around everything else now (turbo, piping, exhaust, etc)

Hey Aux:

How did the sequential twin turbo work? Were they hooked up in series or are they parallel? (I’m assuming there were two)

Nice job buy the way.

Not your typical swap.

It's a sequential/series setup. there's one small and one larger turbo. Exhaust port in between them. Until 4k rpm, smaller turbo builds boost (there's actually not a lot of lag, it starts spooling ~1500-2000rpm) to max of 10psi. At 4k, ECU drops the boost to 8psi, turns on the bigger turbo, both run at 8psi for a short time, and then the smaller turbo is turned off and the bigger turbo takes over past 4k rpm.

I couldn't use them because they won't clear the frame rail. So I have a t04s :)

• 2 months later...
or, you could just call up a couple of australian companies that make custom 4 rotor eccentric shafts. rotaries stack together like a sandwich. all housings are the same in the middle

Gee Aux, with the $3K you just picked up, you could be the first on the planet with a 4 rotor Z :D C'mon you know you want to. :) Engine management might be an issue though :?

Pity it would be one heck of a monster if you did it, and nobody would guess what's in it by the exhaust note :D

I tried to lookup the cost but couldn't find a place that makes the custom eccentric shafts. Of course I didn't look too long, until the 30th DSL remains unavailable for my home and I can't stand dialup for more then an hour at a time :(

On a side note, I wonder if anyone's been crazy enough to try a 6 rotor by combining two 20B's :shock: I see plenty of them on ebay and at various import sites, so I'm sure someones tried it......

not sure if it's been posted... but...

1)what rods did you use for the welding? or is it a flux-core mig. if they're rods i'd recomment a 6010 or 6011 followed by a 7018. also you might want to go thicker on the mounts, it kind of looks flimsy.

2)port/polish/knife-edge the throttle body. you'll get noticeably more throttle response. (might want to knife edge the butterflies as well). also removing the secondary set of butterflies/rod and block off the coolant passages will help greatly. forgot to add, remove the "pots" as well, it'll help with deceleration, unless you want the whole warm-up process. search "TB mod" on the rx7 forums and you'll find out what i'm talking about.

nice swap!

steven m.

I'm pretty sure the 26B quad rotor was available in their light trucks (2-3 ton) from Japan. I'm not 100% sure if this is what Bar B has used in his Bimmer.

Mazda light trucks had 26B quad rotor? I kinda doubt that. I think the 26B series were all custom built by the people themselves.. I have see that modded Bar B purple Bimmer, looks like it will have some real traction controls if they are planning for heavy modifications. :)

In fact, I know this sounds crazy and all, but what if having a 26B with all the artificial aspiration modifications done to it and then fitted to a 240Z? :D

• 1 month later...

so, where's the car at aux? havn't seen anything on it in a while.

oh, and why did you decide to mount the motor towards the passanger's side? Tranny location? Just crious, because you really didn't leave yourself much room for the turbo/exhast set up. I only ask because eventually i want to do a 13b convertion in my ZX. I hope to be able to use the stock ECU & twin turbos due to california smog laws.

mazda tranny is offset to passenger side, and so is the stock datsun drivetrain. Double shift, so to speak. I probably screwed up somewhere, but it seems to line up. Maybe much later in the future I'll redo the motor mounts.

progress? Car's at a friend's shop, and exhaust manifold is getting welded this weekend, hopefully. Just working on doing the fuel system, lines, wiring, etc. All the little stuff like AN lines and fittings really add up. To the tune of 500-600 bucks at least!

100_0010_IMG.sized.jpg