HybridZ

SDS installation guide ??

Joedatsun

Has there been a complete write-up on installing a SDS system on an L28et? I've searched and found some aspects of the installation but nothing very complete. At one point there was a link form the SDS website to a Z installation but now the link is dead. I'm trying to figure out the pros and cons of the SDS vs. the stock ecu and harness. If I go w/ the SDS system what else do I need other than the motor(for install of L28et into '73 240Z)? Are there parts of the stock harness/wiring which i need to retain? Can the stock fuel rail be used ? Has anyone just used the SDS to contol fuel and not ignition? Sorry for so many questions. Thanks in advance.

Joe,

I do not believe there are any instructions specific to the Z. Do a search as this topic has been discussed several times. I will give you some quick answers to your questions and the rest is up to you.

"At one point there was a link form the SDS website to a Z installation but now the link is dead."

That was probably a link to my old L28ET site. I do not maintain it anymore and it does not have the level of instalation detail it sounds like you are looking for. If anyone here finds value in my old site and wants to host it, they are welcome to do so.

"I'm trying to figure out the pros and cons of the SDS vs. the stock ecu and harness."

Lots of info availble here from old posts. IMO, if you are serious about making HP and maximizing it safely, there is no comparison. I cannot overemphasize the importance of tuning on a turbo engine and tuning does not mean new plugs and wires, etc. It means the ability to give the engine fuel when it needs it and controlling ignition (advance and retard) when you must. You cannot do that with a stock ECM/AFM

"If I go w/ the SDS system what else do I need other than the motor(for install of L28et into '73 240Z)?"

The most important thing you need is a method (which will determine materials) to mount the hall sensor.

"Are there parts of the stock harness/wiring which i need to retain?"

None. Rip it (the EFI harness, i.e.,) all out including all those that crap on the intake. MOF, replace the turbo intake with an early one w/o the ugly webbing and EGR, etc. SDS supplies all the sensors you need and plenty of folks here can help with placement. My site might even help there a bit. After installation you will need to build ign and fuel curves specific to the characteristics of the L28ET. Sure folks here can help you out with what they have done.

"Can the stock fuel rail be used ?"

Yes, but it is atrocious. Spend some $$ and replace it. The aesthetics alone is worth it but a custom rail provides the option of choosing from several types of adjustable FPR. If you are planning on running more boost :roll: you want an adjustable FPR.

"Has anyone just used the SDS to contol fuel and not ignition?"

Yes, but not advisable IMO. As previously stated, controlling ignition is critical on a turbo engine running higher than stock boost. Proper timing on a turbo is not just setting the initial timing.

"Sorry for so many questions. Thanks in advance."

HTH, and I am done with this thread :D

The SDS installation manual itself is really straight forwards, plus there are forums and a great technical website out there for SDS info. In my opinion, there isn't anything specific about the L28 install except as Scottie says the Hall sensor. Fabricating a bracket for that is quite simple.

As far as I can see the only con to the SDS over stock is the cost. The pro's are well, everything else! Newer technology, adjustability, control, reliability, better economy, more power, you name it!

I'm personally quite pleased with my sds and wouldn't change much. I'd have spend the extra few hundred to get the coil packs just for aesthethics, and I would have probably purchased the fast idle option as I drive my car into the cold weather a bit and it would be nice. Pretty minor though.

http://www.sdsefi.com has a lot of info and it's worth looking at their projects/tech articles and seeing what the system can do.