HybridZ

dynamat alternatives

Guest kentmocr250

Definitely do an internet search on whatever product you choose. Also make sure that it compares equal to or greater than Dynamat or you'll either end up with less deadening or more weight by having to put in multiple layers.

Look not only at sound deadening material but also at sound absorbing material. They are different and you should use both. The jute on the back of most carpet is a sound absorber.

Also - plan on filling voids - like the lowerer rear fender wells and the side panel area below the quarter window - with foam. It helps make the car more rigid and reduces noise infiltration. Be careful not to block any designed in drains.

All the above was done on my car - see pics in my album - and it made a huge difference. No more transmission noise, very little transient exhaust rumble and almost no tire noise. I can actually hear the wind noise at the drivers side door now - when I turn the stereo off!:-D

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also - plan on filling voids - like the lowerer rear fender wells and the side panel area below the quarter window - with foam. It helps make the car more rigid and reduces noise infiltration. Be careful not to block any designed in drains.

Where can one get foam filler? I once worked at a shipping place that had this big machine that would shoot a hot liquid that quickly expanded and hardened. Too bad I don't work there anymore, so I no longer have access to something like that.

• 2 years later...

I am doing the foam-fill method PLUS just ordered a gallon of FatMat liquid sound deadener for the whole interior of the car. If I could afford an interior Line-X job, I would have it sprayed but the FatMat gallon (roll, spray, or brush on) was only $80 shipped.

Dynamat makes a spray-on application too but it was like $200 or $300.

Will let board know about results.

I used the peal n' seal in my car and I really think it helped a lot. I have gotten multiple comments from multiple different people about how quite my car is for a 28 year old car. I put 1 layer through out the whole interior and 2 layers in some spots. It's quite enough for me!

Guy

• 2 weeks later...

280z_fatmat.jpg

$80 for (1) gallon of liquid FatMat.

Mixed results.

Working on my $1,500 280z resto-challenge.

Poor finish on dryed liquid FatMat. Able to scratch with fingernail after 30 hours of curing. Probably would be okay with several layers under carpet. Company says it can be used as a "rock chip" proof finish. Was hoping to leave dryed FatMat as interior floor (sans carpet). Ended up going over FatMat with Por15.

Application Method - Company says brush, roll, or spray. I would absolutely tell you not to brush it. Might work brushed on wood - say for the interior of a speaker box. Not so great looking on metal, didn't really self-level as I'd hoped.

Sound Deadening properties of Liquid FatMat? Not great, more of a "remove tin-canny" feeling from bare metal interior.

Some I'd guess would have better luck with FatMat Sheets.

Have used Dynamat before in other cars, would heavily recommend it.

If I was doing a "proper" resto or wanted a durable interior finish sans carpet, next time I think I'd personally get the interior Line-X

I've used eDead from elemental designs. they have both a peel and stick as well as a liquid version of their deadener. They have 3 different thicknesses in peel and stick as well as a closed foam product which is good for higher frequencies. www.edesignaudio.com for those interested. I have used this on my daily driver civic for its doors and trunk and its a noticable difference with just their V1 product. I have the hatch area of the Z done so far and will do the floors when my seats come out to be redone. My neighbor has it in his 300zx as well. Good stuff. Great price.

Here's what I'm using. I got this info from this post

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/alternative-lizard-skin-103610.html

I'll condense it a bit. The idea is to get the glass micro spheres and add them to your paint of choice. I went with a water based elastomeric roof paint. I bought the micro spheres from here.

http://www.hytechsales.com/insulating_paint_additives.html

I bought the 5 gallon kit and mixed it a little heavier than they recommended. They said I could double the amount but I would get better results by using more coats. I spent $100.00 and ended up with 3 gallons of roof paint and the 5 gallon kit of micro balloons. I'm really satisfied with the adhesion I'm getting and it seems to work well as a sound deadener. I used an undercoating gun for the doors and 1/4 panels and a 3 inch roller for everything else. I tinted half the paint grey so I could control the coverage better. I'm on my third coat.

Derek

refurb2_2008-01-31_6_Large_.JPG

refurb2_2008-01-31_Large_.JPG

I did mine in RAAMmat as mentioned by Cruez. I did both the dynamat like material and the dense 1/4" foam over the top. This stuff flat works. It adds weight, I would say 75 lbs, but for me it is worth it. Goes on easy and stays where you put it, very sticky. I have not had it on the road yet, but just sitting in the car with the stereo on, it is amazing. Doors close like a vault. Rick is easy to work with...highly recommended

showphoto.php?photo=18376&cat=786

I'll second that about rick at RAAMmat. He's a great guy and his product gets great reviews on the boards. I have a roll of RAAMmat that I'm going to put over my home brew spray on and then ensolite foam over that. I did a test piece of RAAMmat on the floor board and it stuck to spray on really well. The thing I liked about the liquid deadener is I was able to flow it into all of the crevices. I really hope to stop the exhaust from entering the car.

I did mine in RAAMmat as mentioned by Cruez. I did both the dynamat like material and the dense 1/4" foam over the top. This stuff flat works. It adds weight, I would say 75 lbs, but for me it is worth it. Goes on easy and stays where you put it, very sticky. I have not had it on the road yet, but just sitting in the car with the stereo on, it is amazing. Doors close like a vault. Rick is easy to work with...highly recommended

How much RAAMmat did you use and how much of the foam material did you use? I've decided to use his product, but don't want too much >.>

Did NOT find "PEEL & SEAL" brand at Home Depot or Lowes this afternoon. They have something similar but without the reflective side. Basically sticky on both but looks like it's much cheaper. Peel and Seal online is about 100 bucks including shipping for a 3' x 36' piece.

The stuff I looked at was 50 bucks, they had some other stuff that I might be able to stick to it, was basically bubble wrap with mylar on both ends. Or maybe I can just buy some mylar camping blankets to stick on the other side... hmm.. Will see.

Must have missed it, lowes online says they have a 6" x 25' roll for $14 and change. I'll ask 'em next time.

I purchased 2 rolls of the Raamat and 5 yards of the ensolite and 3 cans of his spray glue (inexpensive and the best - buy it!). This allowed me to do the Z from the firewall to the rear lights (double thickness on the floors and in the doors), inside rear quarters. I did not do the roof.

what is your before and after 'driving' impression of your install?

I purchased 2 rolls of the Raamat and 5 yards of the ensolite and 3 cans of his spray glue (inexpensive and the best - buy it!). This allowed me to do the Z from the firewall to the rear lights (double thickness on the floors and in the doors), inside rear quarters. I did not do the roof.

Might want to check this out guys... http://sounddeadenershowdown.com/

Also I found this on Ebay... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=014&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=330209390082&rd=1

I am curious to know if it works. I really don't like the .3-.7 lb/sqft of what is out there right now.