HybridZ

dynamat alternatives

Guest kentmocr250

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so you laid out the Rammatt all over and double layered the floor area and rear quarter panels, then used spray glue to lay a single layer of that sound absorber stuff?

I'm waiting to hear from the vendor on Ebay, i'll let you all know when I get a responce.

EDIT, got a responce, that was quick! I'll post pics and stuff when it comes in.

"We recommend 3M General Trim Adhesive #08088. We'll get a sample right out."

so you laid out the RaaMat all over and double layered the floor area and rear quarter panels, then used spray glue to lay a single layer of that sound absorber stuff?

I did double layers on the floor and in the doors. Single layers in the quarters.

I did the floor since it was a large metal area and I had some left over.

I did the doors because Rick at RaaMat suggested it; if I was going to use the doors for speakers. I also did two layers of foam in the doors (again rick's suggestion). Rick also suggests putting a layer of the Dynamat like material over the door next to the door panel. It is too sticky and messy for that (if you have to remove it), but I am going to put a layer of foam between the door and door panel.

The is foam put over the RaaMat material using the spray glue he sells.

The idea with RaaMat is the sticky Dynamat like material kills the high frequency vibrations and the dense (and it is dense, you can not blow through it) foam kills the drumming low frequency noise.

I got my sample from the Ebay guy and I made a little stop at Lowe's yesterday. I picked up the 6" x 25 ft roll ($15) of Seal and Peal, which I am planning to apply to the thin sheet metal 'tinny" type areas. 12 Sq Ft isn't enough to do the whole car but I'll buy more as needed.

As for the Ebay stuff, it's good quality but a little bit more than similar stuff at Lowe's. The main difference between the two is:

Lowe's stuff is basically two sheets of bubble wrap with alum on either side. Well made but the bubbles could get popped if placed on the floor areas where your feet are sitting. It's called Reflectix Double Bubble Foil http://www.reflectixinc.com/technology/products.asp and was like $18 for a 2' x 25' roll or 50 sqft. I stuck my head in the shelf with this stuff around me and it dampened the sound quite a bit, so I though what the heck. It's cheap, and super light and close enough for my needs. I plan on applying this on top of the peel and seal where I can. and as filler behind the panels where I can.

The Ebay stuff is the same materials, but the air bubbles are randomly shaped and probably more sturdy or have more memory, but I don't really know if that's true or not. http://www.lobucrod.com/ and is $38.50 shipped for the 40 sq ft roll. It's probably a superior product but costs more, and I didn't have to wait to get it.

I really don't think the Ebay stuff is just bubble wrap sandwiched. I think the main difference is that the Ebay stuff can take a load. If you look at the cross section it is more like the memory foam stuff (as you noted). What is attractive to me about it really is the weight... at 2 lbs for 40 sqft... that sure as hell beats out Dynamat Extreme (the light one) which is around 14lbs for the same size, Dynamat normal is around 28lbs for 40 sq.ft! At the same time if Dynamat works that much better...

I really don't think the Ebay stuff is just bubble wrap sandwiched.

I think I over simplified the simularities.

The Ebay stuff is the same in principle :) But yes, the thickness of the plastic between air pockets is heavier than the Lowe's stuff, and it probably is better suited for areas that will get some traffic.

The Lowe's stuff is super light too, but it is a bit on the thick side.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about 80% done. This is what I've used and how far it went.

Peel and Seal 6" x 25' rolls ($15 per roll) (Hint: Use a heat gun to get super adhesion to any surface!)

Covered 80-90% of floor pans from firewall to just behind seats

Covered 75% of the trans tunnel sides

Covered 75% of the panels behind the seats

Covered 90% of the floor area beind seats

Covered 80% of the rear wheel tubs and strut towers

Covered as much as I could the rear 1/4 panels

This took 3 full rolls, so I'm at $45 for the peel and seal so far and I need one more roll to finish my doors and anything else left un-covered.

For the double bubble stuff 2' x 25' ($18 per roll)

Basically covered 100% of all above mentioned areas w/ the double bubble. Would like one more roll to double up on any Panel Covered areas and anywhere I can just simply use more. It weighs nothing.

Impressions, the car no longer has my ears ringing after a 20 minute drive! Really, have some holes to button up, but the car is quite a bit more quiet than it was, and I think doing the doors and getting carpet in will really hush it down a bit more. I'll get some pics sometime soon.

Both.

Basically the rubber Peel and Seal is the base layer, applied to the sheet metal to dampen the 'high tones' and the double bubble is spray glued to the peel and seal to cut down on the 'low tones'.

Total Peel and Seal 3 rolls at 12 square feet is 36 square feet total

Double bubble 1 roll at 50 square feet.

Will buy one more roll of each and that should do it w/ some excess which will but the total tab around 95ish plus tax.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got it installed!....on the passenger floor and trans. tunnel.

So far it went on well. Using just a hair dryer in the high 40's (reccomends over 50 degrees) it adhered great and after a day in the cold I cannot remove it. Im hoping to get atleast the left side done tomorrow in time for when my carpet arrives. :)

*Looks alot better in person*

IMG_0807.JPG

IMG_0808.JPG

IMG_0809.JPG

From several small expiriments you can hear the difference. The eDead removes all of the tinny sound and makes the floor feel alot more solid. Im really happy with it.

excellent job. that looks amazing for a deadening job to me..lol

i've got edead in the rear hatch area already and will be pulling seats/carpet this weekend to do what you are doing now.

is that edead v1 or the thicker stuff?