HybridZ

T56 Slave Cylinder (Tim's new method)

Danno74Z

Tim,

Since we lost several days of posting, I did not get a chance to copy the information about your new method of attaching the slave cylinder on the T56. I also asked you about your clutch setup and then I was locked out of HybridZ and could not read your response. I believe it was in this forum and not the drivetrain. If you could go through your explanation again I (other members too) would really appreciate it.

Danno74Z

At the rate SuperDan is going I will have to startsaving my posts offline! :wink::twisted::D

Here goes:

1. Remove rollpin from slave fitting

2. pull out fitting (with stainless line attached)

3. With hacksaw in hand, cut line off fitting, flush with fitting

4. Drill out fitting to accept 1/8" NPT fitting

5. Tap fitting with 1/8" pipe tap

6. I used a fitting (male/male) with 1/8" NPT and -4 AN

7. After tapping the OEM slave fitting, I pushed it back into the slave and reinserted the rollpin

8. Bench bleed the slave

9. Attach slave to line going to Master cylinder (I'm using Tilton universal 7/8")

10. Now install slave to bell housing. This will push most of the fluid back to the master (remember to remove the lid to the master and cover with a rag)

That's about it.

Tim

Tim,

Thanks for posting the information again. I have another question for you.

Do you think it is possible to use the stock GM Master Cylinder in our Z's? I know the body of master cylinder has a flange with about a 20-degree slant to it and the end that attaches to the pedal I'm sure is different, but it should be possible to fix these issues. What are your thoughts on this?

Danno74Z

I believe that some company out there make a 'wedge' adapter for the OEM master so that it can be bolted perpendicular to the firewall. Then you need to make an adapter to connect it to the pedal. The rod on the Camaro master is VERY long and has an eyelet, not threaded. Plus the oem flex line won't be long enough. Not worth the hassle IMHO....not for the $60 it costs for the Tilton master.

I have a BRAND NEW camaro master if anyone needs it. I'll probably put it on ebay at some point.

Tim

Guest JAMIE T

Coool, Tghanks Tim for posting that info. I recently was emailing Mike Kelly about how he did his. So, you happy with the clutch feel with the 7/8" master? Would you do anything differant?

Jamie,

I think what I may do (still) is drill/tap the opposite side of the fitting and put a bleeder valve in the fitting. While it's possible to bleed the system on the hardline fitting, it would be easier to do so with a valve.

The clutch feel is good. I just should have done this mod before trying to drill and tap the slave itself, it would have cost me ~$100 less in the long run......Oh well....learning curve.....

Since I have the tap and drill bit, I would be happy to convert more if anyone wants it......

Tim

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
Guest Grenade300

Do they make flexable clutch lines? If so, where do I get them? (Already looked on Jegs.com)

I wanted to run a new line from the clutch master cylinder (going to be using a tilton) to the slave on my T56 when I do the engine swap. I would then tap the origional T56 slave fitting for 1/8" pipe threads like Tim described and connect the new clutch line to it.

Am I headed in the right direction with this?