Improved L6 Valve Stem Seals

speeder

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest norm[T12SDSUD]

Hey Ric,k did you have any issues getting the seals installed as the guy above you in the post did?

I'm gonna probably be tearing my motor down this winter and I just want to make sure that if I get these seals that I won't have any installation issues.

Thanks,Norm

Guest norm[T12SDSUD]

So ,you think I can just slip them right on without having to modify anything?

Oh btw, I thought my were supposed to keep Ken's ride "Top Secret" lol

Later,Norm

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the discussion on the seal topic. I posted a question on which seals to use on another thread. I noticed the sealing lip of the stock seals is below the bottom of the ford type I purchased. I'm wondering if the ford ones are going to grab the stem groove? Also, I'm installing them in a couple of days, would a deep well socket and a few taps do the job? Thanks.

Also, what's the best valve spring tool for these heads? I don't want to remove the cam this time, I had to take the front of the engine apart last time because the engine somehow turned. I've seen a couple and am not sure which to get. Thanks again folks.

For putting the seals on,

I have these sweet little hard plastic sleves that go over the top of the valve stem and then you slide the seals down over and in place.

They are about 1" long. When the seal is in place, just remove the sleve.

They are very thin, yet pliable.

I don`t know what they are called, I got them years ago when I did machine work.

Ck with your local machine shop, I`m sure they have them.

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up my head and a set of these ford seals - they come with two of those little plastic installation deals. I'm using the socket method (12 mm deep well) but can't seem to get them on exactly square. I tried tapping them in place and just pushing real hard. Either method works to get them on but since there is no groove to set in like the stockers and you cant just push them till they bottom out because they are so short it seems virtually impossible to get them on square. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Cameron

PS - if you have shaved your head (no not your head your engines head) and shimmed the towers and springs accordingly here's a hint - the inner spring shim goes on BEFORE the seal (don't ask me how I realized this .... lets just say $23 down the drain to another set of seals). By the way the only way I could find to remove the seals destroyed them since they are on SOOOO tight.

I still am wondering about that too, since I haven't had a chance to change my seals. I don't want to destroy them trying to put them on. It seems that the only thing that will be holding them on will be the tension of that sleeve, I hope it's better than the stock seals that grab the groove on the stems.

As I mentioned before, I used Valve Seal Pliers (Can't remember where I got them - (common automotive tool) to install them. I never had any problem getting the Felpro seals on straight, and they stay on so well that you destroy them if you try to remove them.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I didn't get pliers as the only ones I could find only said they were for removal and they were expensive so I got a 'Valve Stem Seal Installer Set' (8 different sizes in the set) which consist of basically very hard plastic tubes (NAPA part # 3372). This worked well - much much better than the socket method. Also got a seal removal tool which clamps around the seal and uses a slide hammer action - one pop and the seal comes right off real slick.

If you are going to install / remove these Ford seals I would recommend using either the pliers mentioned above or the tools like I got. I got both the install set and remover tool for total of $23 on ebay.

Cameron

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I did get a valve spring compressor that allows me to change the valve seals without taking the cam out, MUCH easier. Now I just can't figure out how far to press these "ford" seals down. If I push them down to the top of the guides they deform and the top makes a dome shape. It doesn't seem like they will seal too well like this since the holes open up. I pulled them back up just enough to let the seal dome go back to it's original shape. Man, I hope these things don't pop off, the stock ones seemed more secure. It's my brother's car now and he's not too mechanically inclined, and he lives about four hundred miles away so I hope for his sake and mine that these work better than stock.

Guest valvespring

I ran into the same problem with the Ford seals. The way I handled is was to remove the valves and then install the seals on the tops of the guides. Then I oiled the valve stems and inserted them gently with a twist as the valve keeper groove passed through the seal. Obviously I couldn't use the nice little valve stem shields that came with the seals and there is a risk I may have done some damage to the inside of the seal while inserting the valve, but everything seems OK.