HybridZ

Improved L6 Valve Stem Seals

speeder

If you're talking about the Ford Fel-Pro seals, you should be good to go. Stockers would be iffy. It could be that the ISKY retainers provide enough clearance, but you should check it closely if you try to run them.

No, I am referring to the Fel-Pro seals for the Datsun L. The ones included in a typical HG kit.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would you use those? They're prone to leaking, and you may have an interference issue. Go get the ones this thread is about, then you'll be sure not to have any problems.

Ugh, yeah, I was just trying not to fall into the "while I'm in there" syndrome. Hasn't worked so far. :shock::)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I guess I have a few bits of info to add for these seals. When using them with Isky springs and retainers, the retainer bumps the stem seals at .690" valve lift. Likewise, I found that a very light touch of Permatex Assembly Lube (snotty blood red stuff; great for valvetrain assembly) helps them slide right on. I pressed them on with a socked sized right to push on the metal ring. With the lube, you just press them on by hand, so you can feel them bottom pretty easily.

WOW....that's a huge cam there. .690" lift would support some HUUUUGE duration numbers.

Well, that's when it bumped while sitting on a table. I'm sure one of the machine shops on here can tell you what to subtract from that for a margin of safety. Still, it sounds like low .600's lift is reasonable as far as interference between these two parts is concerned. I did NOT test coil bind.

• 2 years later...

Just installed these SS72686 seals. They are short! and finicky.

Just ordered my second set to replace the ones I screwed up.

SHould have read "BRAAP"s post prior to the first install.

The second install is gonna be great!

PS - How do I get the ones on there off!

Edited by duragg

The SS72686 can net over .100" inch additional clearance from top of seal to retainer.

I installed so the top of the steel barrel was about .550" above the height of the naked outer spring perch.

This seems to leave plenty of room inside.

post-1894-078957600 1309570172_thumb.jpg

I just installed a set on my 510 this week too. I found that a small prybar can be used to coax any errant seals back up again. Just make sure to protect the valve cover sealing surface so that it doesn't get marred when prying against it.