HybridZ

5.7 HEMI......

80LS1T

Well I work at a Dodge dealer as a Auto Tech. Since I work on the Dodge trucks all day long, I get to see the 5.7 HEMI every day. I have been thinking about my next swap and I think the 5.7 HEMI is a good possiblity. From what I have seen they are very good engines. We havent had any problems with them at all so far...

I had to go to some chrysler training the past 2 days and they had a 5.7 HEMI on an engine stand. From what I can tell it looks like it would fit. It doesnt look like it is too much wider than a SBC. Its hard to say since I didnt have a tape measure though?

I wont be doing another swap for about 2 years so I guess I will have to see how the prices of those engines are then but I deffintely think its a good possibilty for me. The best part is I can get new parts for it really cheap! :D

Guy

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Your situation would be the only situation that I might consider the use of that engine in, otherwise the HP/$ wouldnt be very good.

If it is any wider at all (and I assume it would be as it has the hemi heads) you might have some trouble making a header for it

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

345HP is plenty for me (assuming that the power curve is the way I like it).

I would imagine with a little bit of valve porting, a good flowing intake and exhaust, and you can probably bump that up to almost 400HP. How much would you be shooting for with a HemiZ ?

I measure a HEMI yesterday at work at its right around 28"-29" wide. How wide is a SBC?

If I was going to swap a HEMI in I probably wouldnt do too much as far as internal work. Just some headers and turn off the torque managment! I personally think that the engine is "detuned" and that with some headers and some PCM tuning you could hit 400rwhp easy but thats just my opinion! :D

The Ram's would be way more of a tire burning machine if they could turn off the torque managment with a button, kinda like the traction control in sports cars! I know with the 03' HEMI rams there is a wire that you can disconnect and it will disable the torque management and not turn on the check engine light.

I checked Ebay for prices on them but there isnt any on there. I can only image what the cost of them will be! Plus Im not sure if there is much support for PCM tuning in the aftermarket. Someone has got to do it....right?

Guy

off topic here, but

what training did you get? i work at fairfield chrysler and was at napa dodge, same ownership, transferred to be closer to home, but i went to HEMI teardown and rebuild training.

just curious if thats what you did.

oh and as far as getting the engine goes, talk to your parts manager, and see if he can hook you up with one for cheap.

we have engine that get pistons blown in them that we warranty for a new engine, and the parts manager says we could buy them if we wanted. i mean, most of them here are kia's, but im sure the same would go for the HEMI.

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

LOL, I cant believe I saw "Kia" and "HEMI" in the same sentence. I know it was a coincidence, but kinda makes your brain fizzle. :lol:

I was at the Chrysler training center in Hartford(sp?) for "Body Electrical" it was a basic overview of all the electrical systems not really specific to a certain body.

Well we havent had a HEMI engine go bad yet but Im sure within the next few years there will be a few here and there! There's always some moron who doesnt change his oil! We had one guy who only changed his oil 2 times in 50,000 miles! Well those are the only records that he has of when he changed it. Not to mention the engine was extremly cruded(sp?) up with dirt and bearing material! :D Yeah he wasnt too happy when we told him it would cost $7000 to fix(it was a 360cid) not the HEMI. Oh and if I wanted to get a used 2.7 Liter I could get one of those! :roll: Those engines are the biggest POS's that Chrysler can make! We have done a lot of heads/engine swaps due to sludge building up and cause the timing chain tensioners to stop working(the timing chain tensioner works off of oil pressure) Anyways....

I wont be doing a swap for a few years due to wanting to buy a house and my girlfriend of 4 1/2 years would like to get married some day! LOL :lol: But I would love to have a HEMI Z! :D

Guy

• 3 weeks later...

i was just thinking how cool a hemi would be in a z-car today becauce i found a 03 hemi engine and trans,ecm ,all the wiring everything for $6700

damn, a hemi in a 240z :eek2: ,

is anyone truly sane on this site?, or is it that we all just that damn smart :weird:

• 2 weeks later...
Oh and if I wanted to get a used 2.7 Liter I could get one of those! :roll: Those engines are the biggest POS's that Chrysler can make! We have done a lot of heads/engine swaps due to sludge building up and cause the timing chain tensioners to stop working(the timing chain tensioner works off of oil pressure) Anyways....

Haha. We just had a 2.7 in here for that exact problem. Owner changed the belt on his own, then a few miles down the road it died and smoke poured out from the cover. His tensioner froze up and melted the belt down.

• 3 weeks later...

I love this idea....first on the block with a very powerful engine. Not only is it powerful but it is one sweet looking engine. I saw one on a Chrysler 300 and i almost couldn't keep my eyes off of it.

hemi.jpg

enlarge_1.jpg

There are some sweet performance parts for these engines.

Keep us posted

"Its time to think of something different when the idea becomes the institution"

Oh and if I wanted to get a used 2.7 Liter I could get one of those! Those engines are the biggest POS's that Chrysler can make! We have done a lot of heads/engine swaps due to sludge building up and cause the timing chain tensioners to stop working(the timing chain tensioner works off of oil pressure) Anyways....

Haha. We just had a 2.7 in here for that exact problem. Owner changed the belt on his own, then a few miles down the road it died and smoke poured out from the cover. His tensioner froze up and melted the belt down.

Are you guys talking about the 2.7 V-6 most common in the base Intrepids?

Yup that would be the engine we are talking about. We just had 2 more engines go bad last week! One was a wrist pin let loose and the other was knocking like you wouldnt believe! Those motors are absolutly junk. If you have the option to buy the 3.2 L or 3.5L get one of those! Both are 10 times the motor a 2.7L is!

Guy

I was just curious, we bought a new 2000 Intrepid ES with the 3.2 in and had no problems with the car except for nickel and dime problems like power windows and lock motors going out. The only big thing that ever happened was a sensor for the tranny went out and a hub bearing and a ball joint went out at 40k. Everything was covered by a warranty, factory and also extended. It was a good car, but due to all the fleet sales to rentals and cab companies of the base model, the car had no value, we could only sell the car for $6000 at March of this year compared to a same year Maxima which sold for $4k more. And yeah i heard a lot of horror stories about the base models 2.7.