HybridZ

The GNZ Is Dead, Long Live The GNZ

Scottie-GNZ

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Say it ain't so! I keep using you as a good example of what a well engineered Z can do, and I was hoping to be able to say you ran 9's. :D

I hope you stick around and that we get all the details on the next hybrid project, whether it is a Z or not!

BTW Pete, I see you sporting a new 1/4 time, nice. :D

Scottie,

I am a little blown away :shock: but totally understand where you are coming from. I too have entertained the idea of change. Keep us up to date on your new project and please find the GNZ a safe home!

Mike

Scottie, ive been in the same boat. I considered selling my z about three months ago to make way for a bimmer or something. I have to say I am really sad to hear that there will be no more GNZ. If you get a different ride, and stop showing up at z events, I will be seriously upset. Its a sad day... and this will always be your home.

I guess I also wanted to say thank you for all your help in the past, and all your help in the future! you are one of the few hybridz members that I look up too..

Evan

Man oh man. I can't beleive it. I understand it, but still can't beleive it. Scottie you are the reason that I am doing the turbo car I am doing. I am basically copying what you had so I am hoping for similar results. I hope you stay on the board. You are a great asset to this forum. I would hate to lose your wealth of knowledge.

Scottie, I do hope you will stick around despite the change. I know where you are coming from, but I want a V8 240Z before moving on to something else. You've had that car for ages, so maybe something more refined is better for you in the long run. Please stick around and share the knowledge (and the love :D).

Davy

• 5 weeks later...

Well I'm coming at this from a totally different perspective I suppose, but here goes...

Scottie.. YOUR NUTS if you sell the Z.

Sound harsh? maybe...

Let me tell you.... You have had this car for how many years? More than my measly 15 years with mine...

You have successfully done exactly what I did to mine about 5-6 years ago.. (not the wicked speed part..I can't compete with that.) You had fun when racing the car, but it sounds like to me, you have taken the rest of the fun out of the car.

I'll bet I'm right. I had so much fun modding my Z and racing it on a road course. That I took all the daily driver characteristics out of it to a point where I didn't want to take my wife out on the town or some important function... and she didn't want to go in it either (and she loved driving it around the track as well) It became to uncomfortable for long trips.. It didn't look all that nice when looked at close.. not everthing worked right, or fit properly...

I had turned it way to racey..too sensitive..to finicky..(dare I drive it in the rain and slide off the road and die in it)

Times change...

Change the car to change WITH you...

I may still not like getting my car wet, but some rain will not stop me from driving it...

I have made it much more comfortable to cruise in as well... Heck my CD player almost never skips!

Speed bumps don't scare me very much...

I've taken as many "quirks" as I can out of it so it can be a more normal car...

I enjoy driving the car more now than I did 6 years ago...

If you sell it mark my works folks... you WILL regret it. PERIOD.

Sorry to be harsh on ya Scottie....

I had to do it for ya...

Good luck in what ever you choose.

Scott.

WOW! It's just a hunk of metal :D :D J/K :malebitchslap:

Scott, your para on going too far and the wife not wanting to ride in it was dead-on. While I would have no concerns about the reliability of the car if it had to be driven to CA tomorrow, I certainly would not drive it. In the past 3 yrs with the car in its current form, I have driven it once to Montgomery (1,000) and a total of 6 trips to Reynolds (800 miles) and every trip was an absolute nightmare on my old creaking bones and senses. I certainly had the option to put back some civility in it and compromise some outright performance. That is actually what I doing, just with a different car.

I know that smacks of disloyalty to the model but look at it from my perspective. I have been wrenching on this particular for 25yrs and it was brought back from the dead for a buddy who was fascinated with my Z that I built the year before, That was a 73 with a Scarab kit and a 350ci. That was followed by a JTR in '90. For me, the excitement is in the thrill and challenge of building a car in my backyard. Most do not know me that well but I change project cars as often as some of you change your underwear :D and I know will soon reflect on this decision and wish I had it back but there are other cars that I also wish I had back, some even more so than this one. My 302 SBC-powered 914, '67 Sunbeam Tiger and '90 M3 are cars I wish I could have now to replace the Z. So, do not feel sad for me and enough already, I am starting to get sentimental.

Sad to see it go and several had an opportunity to get it and carry on the tradition but it never worked out. All my projects are funded by the sale of the previous project and as it turned out the sum of the GNZ parts exceeded the car and instead of one lucky recipient, there will be several.

I plan to stick around and even continue to help organize and grow the SEZM even though I will be a "non-Z outsider". Maybe I can tweak the rules for non-Zs :D

Gabe, you are too kind.

Tim, photoshop. That is funny. Freshly rebuilt, but I do try to keep everything looking like that.

BTW, for those of you who think you need a sewer pipe for a TB on your turbo car, check mine out in the 2nd pic. 62mm and gets the job done. The engineers out there can calculate the flow of a 62mm cylinder and factor in that it is ported and has knife-edge blades.

Maybe those pics are from when he dropped the motor in. :?

But seriously, my opinion is that times change and people along with it. Some of us see Scottie making this big change and feel that he is making a big mistake. I myself believe that I will never get sell my Z but you never know. The guy I bought it from had it for 15 years and had told his mother that he was never selling it. I have the car now...he has a boat. LOL Each one of us knows what is best for ourselves. So do what you have to do.

Marcos

Wow, I missed the update the other day. The end of this era is just the begining of another. Keep us informed on the new build and your progress. I know you hate to be without a driveable project so I suspect you'll go pretty quickly. :D

Times change and so do people.

This is exactly what I fear may happen when My car is back together... Driving my Vette on an almost daily basis, getting used to leather, very nice accents, on demand power and some of the best balance and brakes on the planet, I'm affraid the raw and harsh setting of my Z will be a turn off instead of a turn on... But we'll see. I'm still enjoying climbing on my ZX9R and hammering the back roads on it, and that thing is a torcher rack compared to a car.

In a perfect world we'd all be able to have a stable of cars to tinker with, and build and keep to ourselves. But our world isn't perfect and sometimes the toys come in step, one replacing another.

Scottie, We've met in person, and I've enjoyed your company and the hospitality of your family, and I think I speak for everyone here when I say not having a Z, doesn't mean you are dis-owned... You've paid your dues in spades... They've come in 10 second passes over and over and over again!

Gonna miss the car, but I'm glad we'll have your expert knowledge base around to bounce ideas off of!

Mike 8)