HybridZ

Supra 2JZ-GTE swap into 240Z (pics)

cyrus

BLKMGK' date=' your pics of 240Z 1jZ on your site were a big part of me deciding to do my swap. Last run the car was at 12.1@122mph. I think I can get more power out of the setup. I enjoy the thrill of turbo, too!

Presently, the car is being rollcaged right now. I have tons of pics. and[/quote']

Heh, post pics! More pics! :D that 1JZ car is pretty cool, I need to reread that article myself actually. I do recall they said go 5spd but I am not sure how that would be any better since I'm pretty sure the trans is the same length. Am very interested in mounts and whatnot. Wiring, *if* I do this, won't be too bad as I'll have a donor car (SC300) at least and be running a standalone EMS.

Looks like you're getting your times down. IMO you need a taller rear gear. The Supra runs a 3.17 gear for stick cars and a 3.2something for auto cars - those gear ratios never changed BTW. The Supra also ran tall 17inch wheels so I'd bet that you have a WAAY different final gear that's not letting you stay in any gear long enough. I could hit 60MPH top of 2nd gear in my car as I recall - "lazer verified" :D

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

when you pulled the ecu fuse and reset the ecu you ran the best time right? It sounds like you have the shitty california ecu, my friends supra is the same way, he pulls the fuse and resets the ecu and it runs really good for a minute.

I really like this build too. Im doing a 2jz in a datsun 1200 or an rx3. Are you using the stock supra o2 sensor?

when you pulled the ecu fuse and reset the ecu you ran the best time right? It sounds like you have the shitty california ecu' date=' my friends supra is the same way, he pulls the fuse and resets the ecu and it runs really good for a minute.

I really like this build too. Im doing a 2jz in a datsun 1200 or an rx3. Are you using the stock supra o2 sensor?[/quote']

an Rx3 with torque that will be a first

when you pulled the ecu fuse and reset the ecu you ran the best time right? It sounds like you have the shitty california ecu' date=' my friends supra is the same way, he pulls the fuse and resets the ecu and it runs really good for a minute.

I really like this build too. Im doing a 2jz in a datsun 1200 or an rx3. Are you using the stock supra o2 sensor?[/quote']

BZZZT! Sorry, the Cali ECU hasn't got a different calibration. Yeah, it runs better when you reset th eECU because doing this resets all of the knock sensor "learning" and it starts back with the most aggressive timing. That is until it hears knock and dials it back - the knock strategy is fairly aggressive BTW. ALL 2JZ Supra do this and it's pretty common for Supra owners to reset ECUs on the dyno or when moving to a higher octane gas since the ECU is slower to add timing in than it is to pull it.

Hell I have an extra and complete MkTT running gear from a 93 that I wrecked and after reading this thread, this look like a good violable option. This thread is inspiring!Cyrus the cage looks great and I really have enjoyed reading the progress that you have made moving through this entire transaction! Like BlkMgk said you should move on to a small/medium single and possibly an AEM. With the reduction of weight and the potential of the 2JZ powerplant your car should have 9 second potential.How about an update?

Hell I have an extra and complete MkTT running gear from a 93 that I wrecked and after reading this thread, this look like a good violable option. This thread is inspiring!Cyrus the cage looks great and I really have enjoyed reading the progress that you have made moving through this entire transaction! Like BlkMgk said you should move on to a small/medium single and possibly an AEM. With the reduction of weight and the potential of the 2JZ powerplant your car should have 9 second potential.How about an update?

Hey BamaDave - I recognize you from the SF board!! Welcome to our little corner of the world. I wouldn't mind seeing a 3rd or 4th 2JZ powered 240z around here :-)

BLKMGK - nice to see you pop in now and again also!

Z-Gad you have an awesome ride without a doubt!!! ____ I’m actually considering it, as I need to do something with the equipment that I have cluttering the place. I also have a SP400 that I could use in the swap. Mine is also a foot brake version but is has a reveres valvebody and a 3800 multi disk lockup. Has anyone been able to utilize the MkIV rear end? I have a friend that has a 240 that has been sitting in his shop for years and I might be able to working something out with him. I see where Mazework built your mounts. Can I assume they can build some additional? I owned 2-240’s and 1-260 back years ago and I have always loved their style. ____ BlkMgk has always been an excellent contributor and has gone out of the way to help me in the past. Hell one time he put his car on a lift to take photos of his 4-row piping to help me out in figuring what it would take me to run mine. I hope he worked out the problems that he had with the insurance company when he got hit in his MkIV!

Z-Gad you have an awesome ride without a doubt!!! ____ I’m actually considering it, as I need to do something with the equipment that I have cluttering the place. I also have a SP400 that I could use in the swap. Mine is also a foot brake version but is has a reveres valvebody and a 3800 multi disk lockup. Has anyone been able to utilize the MkIV rear end? I have a friend that has a 240 that has been sitting in his shop for years and I might be able to working something out with him. I see where Mazework built your mounts. Can I assume they can build some additional? I owned 2-240’s and 1-260 back years ago and I have always loved their style. ____ BlkMgk has always been an excellent contributor and has gone out of the way to help me in the past. Hell one time he put his car on a lift to take photos of his 4-row piping to help me out in figuring what it would take me to run mine. I hope he worked out the problems that he had with the insurance company when he got hit in his MkIV!

Mazworx can do the mounts for sure. My mounts were made by making a cradle under the motor for my 71 frame and welded in place, so you may need to get the car to them to do it. I would say contact them (http://www.mazworx.com) if you are interested and see what they say. I also see you are on the Gulf coast, if you haven't heard, there is an event coming up in Reynolds Georgia at the Silver Dollar Raceway on March 26th. There will be some very cool Z car swaps there, and the guys from Mazworx are attempting to have their 2 cars together to come up and test for the upcoming race season. I'll be there with mine as well.

Cyrus has done an awesome job on documenting his swap. He is a real credit to this site.

I too wonder what happened w/ BLKMGK's insurance claim...

I don't believe anyone has installed the Supra rear end into the early Z car yet... I would think that the track would be kind of wide and would require substantial narrowing. A stout 300ZXTT differential with custom half shafts should be able to hold what you throw it as long as you footbrake and can preload the drive train. I am currently running a 300zx turbo LSD (87-89) with 3.36 gears and 300zx turbo half shafts and it is holding up fine at my current power level. I will be going to the R230 (300zxTT) differential with 2.93 gears very shortly.

BTW, if I can help out in any way should you choose to do the 2JZ swap, don't hesitate to ask.

Mike

It’s kinda funny as I just spoke with my wife about going to the meet in Renolds and even posted a reply to the thread you created on SF. We were committed to going to TX2K6 next weekend but they have changed the scheduled events around where it isn’t looking as enjoyable as it was last year so we may end up no attending. Its about 350 miles from where we live which isn’t far at all considering where most meets take place. What do the folks attending typically do the night before?David

There is going to be a meet and greet Saturday as people will be arriving throughout the day. Here's the thread...

http://www.topbb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21&mforum=sezshootout

My sis decided to get married that Saturday in Pa (I know, the nerve!!), so I am catching a flight into Atlanta where a buddy is picking me up Sunday morning so I can attend. My car is coming up with the Florida caravan on Saturday on another buddy's trailer.

I think there is an open test-n-tune Saturday night at the track, atleast there has been in previous years.

The track personel are very accomodating... Good people...

Still going through hell with my car - trying to get a pretty reputable appraiser to look at it but between Barret Jackson and other things he's pretty busy. Still working it though, car sits in my garage making me sick every time I see it NOT giving up and not letting them rip me off! I have pretty much kissed off participating in most car forums though, too damned depressing at the moment :(

Still going through hell with my car - trying to get a pretty reputable appraiser to look at it but between Barret Jackson and other things he's pretty busy. Still working it though, car sits in my garage making me sick every time I see it NOT giving up and not letting them rip me off! I have pretty much kissed off participating in most car forums though, too damned depressing at the moment :(

Hey "John Doe" :D, which car are we talking about and what happened? Bring me up to date.

Hi all,

First

. I will be going to the R230 (300zxTT) differential with 2.93 gears very shortly.

I did that. Very difficult check out the post in the drivetrain sect.

As far as the ecu, yes it runs faster witht ecu reset even with 100 octane. I have no idea why...

The status of the car is, it is caged, stripped, and is now being painted. Then it will be assembled, Lord willing, in 2 months.

And on supra's I have driven a few supra and was always impressed at how slow they are. My was a slug with a great exhaust and air intake, until got a boost controller. Then I was AMAZED. Sadly, it requires ~96 oct to work correctly.

Hi all' date='

First

I did that. Very difficult check out the post in the drivetrain sect.

As far as the ecu, yes it runs faster witht ecu reset even with 100 octane. I have no idea why...

The status of the car is, it is caged, stripped, and is now being painted. Then it will be assembled, Lord willing, in 2 months.

And on supra's I have driven a few supra and was always impressed at how slow they are. My was a slug with a great exhaust and air intake, until got a boost controller. Then I was AMAZED. Sadly, it requires ~96 oct to work correctly.[/quote']

I'm the 2jz pro :mrgreen:

when you reset the ECU it resets timming to the msot agressive setting and it's quick to pull timming when the engine knocks just a little bit. and is VERY slow to advancei t again. i put 87 in my car supra once and it pulled so much timming i had to reset the ecu when i got a fresh tank of good old cali 91 :icon44: