HybridZ

what tranny to use?????????

Guest storm280z

Guest storm280z

ok i DID a search and couldnt find a stright anwser.

im builting a v8 datsun like everyone else on this site is. an i want a 5 spend tranny i DON'T want a automatic. an i builting my motor for 400-450hp an i wanted to know if a stock t-5 will do the job, or will i have to do some mods to the tranny. i dont have to big bucks for a t56. also if a t-5 want hold that power what tranny will do the job? :?:

• 2 years later...

This ancient thread (such as it is) touched on a question I've been wondering about: Is a box-stock used T-56 tranny stronger than an aftermarket T-5 style tranny? Most of the prices I've seen are very comparable (start around $1500, and go up from there), and I was wondering if anybody had some experience one way or the other. I'm probably going to do the whole junkyard T-5 just to get it going route, but if I come into some cash I may consider an upgrade, and those were the two options I was considering.

That seems hard to define Max without many variables. I think it depends on who's aftermarket T5 and the amount of work done to it. I'm sure a heavily modified T5 could/would be stronger than a stock T56, but how much HP are you pushing that you'd really need a heavily modified T-5?

Here's a link on mating a T-5 to an LS1, not directly answering your question but has some good points that you might like to read....

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=90214&highlight=Muncie

Hope it helps somewhat,

Tyson

Hmmm...

I have pondered this endlessly... I chose a WCT5 for my track monster...

T5/WCT5 have been the choice in the past... but they are becomming hard to find... especially in good condition... though rebuilding them seems relatively cheap and easy to do... $250-$300 kit...

The WC-T5 has some advantages that make it more suitable to ROAD RACE use... The geartrain has a lot more bearings than the regular T5.. so heat should not build up as quickly in the WC unit...

The regular and WC-T5 are the lightest transmissions on the list for V-8 hybrid Z-cars... approx 75lbs...

As far as the G-Force gearsets go.. That will triple the price of the tranny and put you right into the same $$$ range as the Brand NEW Tremec units... The same seems to go for ratio changes... Any change in the 1-4 gear ratios puts you into an entirely new gearset... The money gets wild as you try to further modify the tranny... although 5th gear can be changed without a lot of parts(it will require machine work on the housings)

If you try to use a Mustang T5 you will need to swap input shafts with a chevy unit... Your driveshaft will need to come from a Stang as well... There may be other issues like shifter location, sourcing a bellhousing, clutch kit, etc...

In the end... The Camaro/TransAm WC-T5 is very light and will hold up to road-race type use... but it has a bad rap with the drag racing crew... The Tremec units can be purchased new with your choice of ratios for similar cost to rebuild and modify a WC-T5... The Tremec has some key advantages over the design of the T5...

Why not buy a brand new Tremec??? .....

....Unless you just happen to get lucky with a cheap WC-T5 like I did...

Sometimes buying a car for one part is cheaper than buying one part from the JY... plus Ebay allows some money to be made up... plus you get ALL THE PARTS... and the scrap steel value is close to $100... a sawzall makes quick work of the carcass..

I just found out that the 350 that I was planning to get from my buddy is in fact now just a short block sans heads (and he's not sure he even wants to get rid of it anymore), so I'm thinking I'm probably on the donor car market now. I'd like to do this swap as cheaply as possible, and if I could find a decent manual trans third gen camaro or firebird for around $1k or so (I don't know how realistic that is, I haven't looked at all yet), I think that I could probably come out ahead. I'm about fed up with the state of my L-series right now...I'm pretty sure it jumped time, and I just discovered that in addition to that, two of my injectors weren't squirting at all, and the spark plug on a third cylinder was hand loose due to the threads getting messed up. So a helicoil and some injector soaking got me up to 5 cylinders (#2 injector didn't respond to being soaked), but I still need to break down and re-time the whole engine from scratch...I'm thinking it's going to be about the same amount of work to just swap in a V-8.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I hope I am not stealing this thread, but I have a question. And yes, I have searched for a week straight and still dont have a good straight answer. I have been looking for a T-5 to mate to the 350 I just picked up from a friend. I found a T-5 locally, so I went to look at it. Originally the guy said it was for a V-8, but after getting there and looking at it he tells me that its from a S-10 Blazer, with I am assuming the V-6.

My question is, will this tranny work for a mostly stock 350 if I find the correct bellhousing? He is only asking $100 for it and everything else I find is way out of my price range. Or would it just be a total waste of time and money? I really don't plan to drag the car at all, but would feel better knowing that if I did get on the go pedal, my tranny isn't just going to spit its guts out. Thanks for any info guys!!

The trans you are looking at is only rated for abotu 160lb/ft of torque, and had a different input shaft than the V8 models. You'd have to either run the smaller V6 clutch or change the input shaft. I've got a WC-T5 out of a camaro V8 for sale if anyone is interested...shoot me a PM.

Ok, thats what I was afraid of. Thanks for the help. It looks like the only way to beef it up is to build it to world class specs, but that involves a new case from what I can tell, and after that about the only original part of the trans is the tail housing, but seeing as how I need a new tail housing because the current one is for a 4wd setup, I would basically just be buying a new tranny. O well, back to the drawing board....Thanks!