HybridZ

Still no ZX/SBF' swaps?

Guest RunninOnEmpty

Guest RunninOnEmpty

As far as I can tell there still are no ZX/FSB swaps. Is there a practical or technical reason for this? My interest in the FSB is not a Chevy v. Ford thing as my wife's Yukon has a Vortec and I love it.

For the swap, my Ford preference is because its lighter and the ZX, which I have, is heavier than the 240/260's. The fwd dissy is another factor. Also, I want to go with a five speed. They may be slower, but I like them. I'm pretty sure I can deal with header-steering box issues, but are there any known show stoppers hindering a ZX/FSB swap? For example, I don't want the gear shift too far fwd and don't want to have to bend it to place it in a desireable location.

I've seen 5.0-5speed Mustangs that were priced right and would've made good donors. So, why has the ZX been left behind?

John

I can't speak for anyone else, but I haven't done it because I don't have a ZX. If someone's willing to donate one to a worthy cause, I'd definitely be sure to investigate! Matter of fact, I've got access to a car that would be more than willing to donate an organ or two...

Good luck!

Gene

The firewall is about 3" further forward, they are heavier cars as you noted, and bumpers or not I am not as much a fan of them visually. Perhaps it being a little newer is another reason, its not as "classic," like modding a muscle car kind of :shrug:

I'm sure it could be done though, they still fit that big old 6 in there.

As far as the firewall being 3" further forward, I can't see that as being much of an issue. I just dropped a 351W into my '75 and have roughly 1 foot(not measured, just eyeballed) between the very tip of the water pump pulley and the radiator. Even with 3" less, there would be plenty of room.

I think the age, as you mentioned, is probably the biggest factor. One of the biggest issues for me is that my ol' '75 is old enough that I no longer need to have the sniffer test to pass inspection. (I live in Texas) That means basically no inspection of any emissions equipment, and the hood rarely even gets opened during an inspection. Another aspect of the age is that there simply aren't as many of the ZX's laying around otherwise dead. Many of them are stillin good, running condition and most people have a hard time tearing apart something that works.....fortunately, I'm not one of them!

Gene

Guest RunninOnEmpty

All good points. I too much prefer the earlier models both from an asthetic point of view as well as that they are just older and more classic. But, when I bought the thing, I didn't know jack squat. My neighbor had a Datsun that didn't run, I always liked and wanted a "Z" (didn't know difference between "Z" and "ZX") so I bought it, got it runnng like a bat-outta-hell, and became addicted to speed (the automotive kind.)

So, the ZX is what I'm stuck with. The OL is still pissed I bought it so I can't even think about swapping for a 240.

I ordered the Jags That Run manual for the SBC/Z swap and hope to begin cutting metal this summer. The SBF would be a sweet swap but may prove to be impractical, else it would've already been done.

What has me concerned bout the 3" fwd placement of the firewall is not so much radiator etc. clearance. I think those issues can be delt with, but rather positioning of the gear shift too far fwd of a natural location. I want it straight vertical and not bent or otw kludged to fit, and no way will I go with an automatic. Its an "old school" thang.

The SBC-ZX has been done while the SBF-ZX remains an unknown. At my age this will likely be my last shot at building a car. That great American philosopher Dirty Harry said it well: "A man must know his limitations."

Just have to study the Jags manual. Thanks to all.

John

Shifter location shouldn't be too big an issue. If you get a bellhousing from a SN95 mustang ('94-'95), that sets the tranny back another inch or two. Be sure to get the transmission or at least the input shaft for the same year car because it is longer as well, to meet up with the clutch.

Gene

Guest RunninOnEmpty

Thanks, that's very helpful. I really think the SBF should swap into the ZX w/o too much sweat and the weight and balance should be close to stock. Anyway, if the SBF is too much trouble, I can always stuff it into my V6 Fox-Bird, aka "The gutless wonder."

John