Dual Turbo Q45 V8 Swap Completed

Sleek Z

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

q45zpower_4.jpgq45z-05.jpg

Guys

I sent a request for more info about the car to the owner almost 3 days ago, but so far, have heard nothing from him. I am not quite sure what he does for living or how well he can read English, but I am working on finding out more about the technical specs and products used on the car.

Here, in the States, I have a buddy with a baby brother version of the Q45 V8 engine sitting in his garage waiting to get transplanted into some old sleeper Datsun vehicle, possibly a 240Z. This engine is designated as "VH-41" I believe. The virtue of the VH-41 over the VH-45 is that it is still a large Nissan V8, but the width of the overall engine at the valve cover width is 1.5" less than the VH-45, I am told, which allows for a signicantly less snug fit between the 240Z's shock towers.

What is holding back my buddy is the issue of what manual transmission can be adapted to the VH engine. As of last year, it was my understanding that Nissan had not produced a manual transmission for the VH engine series. Obviously, my friend and I interested to learn what this guy used. From fuzzy interior pics I have of the car, it seems obvious that the builder used a manual tranny with his Q45 engine swap. Possibly, by now, Nissan has produced a manual tranny for the VH that is available in Japan only. Anyway, myself and others in the States and Japan are working on finding the answers to both this guy's specific swap solutions and others.

One further note that should be added here for everyone to appreciate. As of last year, to my knowledge, there was virtually no performance upgrade products in the market place, either in the US nore Japan, that would signicantly boost the HP of Nissan's current day VH V8 engines. Because of this, I am told, many potentail swappers have been turned off to explore the potential of the Nissan VH engines as a hot rod power plant for swaps.

Frankly, I am not very current on this issue so, by now, maybe much has changed about that bottleneck issue. If others here know about performance engine upgrade products available anywhere in the world for these VH engines, I most appreciate you saying so here or writing directly to me at eric@zparts.com to tell me anything you know that is encouraging. In return I will pass it on to others looking into the VH engine as a promising swap.

btw, in the past 3 years I have been contacted by at least 4 others, mainly based out of Australia and New Zealand, that tell me that they are (were?) working on a Nissan VH V8 engine swap into an S30 body, but so far none have reported complete with the exception of Yuki Komiya in Japan, the one I am featuring on my website right now.

ps, one ambitious swapper was a young woman in Australia that told me she intended to race it on the track and that her father had an entire machine and fabrication shop to back up the project. Last I heard from her, she or friends were on their second trip to Japan to score an engine and related parts.

OK, that's about all I know at this point except that I do have a few more photos to prep and publish at my ZPARTS.COM website when time and energy allow this week.

Sleek Z

Guest Aaron
Here, in the States, I have a buddy with a baby brother version of the Q45 V8 engine sitting in his garage waiting to get transplanted into some old sleeper Datsun vehicle, possibly a 240Z. This engine is designated as "VH-41" I believe. The virtue of the VH-41 over the VH-45 is that it is still a large Nissan V8, but the width of the overall engine at the valve cover width is 1.5" less than the VH-45, I am told, which allows for a signicantly less snug fit between the 240Z's shock towers.

I have heard rumors that the Z32 5 speed will bolt to the Q engine, however I have never been able to confirm it. If so, one would then have to find or fabricated a flywheel/cluctch assembly, and posibly machine the crank for a pilot bearing.

OK, I just got a first reply from the owner of the car in Japan, Yuki Komiya

Just as way of introducing him by his own wording, I have pasted a few of his first remarks, in part, so everyone can understand what we will both be up against as I try to interview him about specifics of his car and solutions he used and why it may take awhile to get everyone's questions answered and published. I believe I will have a Japanese translator available to me to aide us in communication while I assemble more facts and photos for everyone here.

"Eric

hello!

I'm sorry I'm late resent mail.

And thanks a lot.

I'm surprised at such a great thing.

But Its difficult understand english to me.

(My english is O.K?)

And I will answer your question as possible.

But Japanese language is better.

I'm sorry My English is too bad. Do you understand?

But my 450z is parfect!" -Yuki Komiya

One last comment.

"Gheez", you would not believe my website statistic numbers for the past 3 days since I posted the first pics of this guy's finished project. Totally incredible high numbers like I have never seen in the 6 years my website has been online. Somebody is really spreading the word around the internet, because I only announced the photos 3 days ago on 2 car forums and one mailing list. 3 days later, ZPARTS.COM is getting many hundreds (thousands from a few) of hits per forum per day from nearly 15 car forums so far and the number of referring websites and forums is doubling every day! AMAZING STATS ! Never have seen any #s like these before.

OK Gang, Please start sending me all the kinds of questions you want answered about this guy's project because it is not going to be like I can ask him often.

SLEEK Z

Tim

Yes, I believe I have that base covered well. My Datsun engine swap buddy goes to Japan once a year to buy up "half cuts" with RB engines in them to sell in the US. Both of his partners in his small performance engine import business are Datsun-Nissan car and engine swap freaks like my buddy. One of the partners is native Japanese citizen now living in Japan. I am first going to try to work to interview the Q45 V8 project owner through my buddy and his Japanese partner, if possible.

SideNote, Tim, someone just showed me a picture of a 2001 Jaguar F prototype convertible that at last illustrates the key design philosophy of what I have been trying to explain to others about what I want my 2+2 Z based convertible concept project to start from as a basic. Can't believe I had never seen this prototype before, but because I could not realistically draw the concept in realistic 3d style I just could not manage to explain it to others here. Soon as I scan this picture I am going to post it in my 2+2 Z convertible concept section to help others get what I have been drive at for so long. Link will be at http://www.zparts.com/showcase/sleekz/szconcepts/2_2project/2_2intro.html Sorry for the unrelated topic aside, but this guy's project just got my design juices flowing again.

SLEEK Z

funny you should metnion a manual transmission for the VH45DE. 240sx VH45De swap someone jammed one into a 240sx. its a thread on NICO. ignore the first post, it gets interesting about 1/4 way down the page. interesting exhaust system. I wouold like to see more of this far east wonder-z. that looks like the true Akuma No Z! I bet its a straight up weapon on the highway.

McAdam

Hey mack:: someone should post Yuki's Z pics on that site.. I think they would probably flip.. hahahaaha sounds like they were trying to compete being the first ones to do it with turbo.. I think Mr Komiya beat them to it..

that looks pretty good in the 240sx as well.. But WAY better in a Z for sure.. :D

If only I were ready to start my swap, I'd buy this. And if I could weld better and had enough money for some turbos to put on that thing. And a transmission, differential, a shop, some more tools....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2473174227

Besides, I'm still holding out for a ferrari v12 to stick in my 240. And the JTR conversion manual for it... :frown:

Guest comeandzpa
Besides, I'm still holding out for a ferrari v12 to stick in my 240. And the JTR conversion manual for it... :frown:

Hate to break it to you, but the ferrari V12 is too long for the Z's engine bay, hence the lack of a manual...

Hate to 'break this to ya'll", but I know a very frustrated Z owner and enthusiast in Detroit who works for a major performance exhaust system designer/manufacturer which numbers Lamborgini, Ferrari and few other "notable" marques as major clients. This company maintains a secondary support and design facilities in Italy to which this poor chap must travel to frequent as a "head honcho" in the design dept.

What frustrates this fellow Z compadre so badly is that at this secondary facility in Italy, there is a back room wherein the company has mothballed aprox fifteen V12 and V8 engines supplied them over the years as "test mule" engines for custom exhaust system design projects developed for Ferrari and Lamborgini. Everytime this poor man visits this facility, the manager there reminds him that he could have his pick of any of these older, but outragously exotic powerplants cheap for the taking if he so desired to ship one back to the states to swap into his favorite classic sports car, a 240Z.

So, anyway, year after year goes by in the same fashion with the guy returning home with a longer face each time and every time I ask him, "Hey, Tom what's it gonna be a Ferrari or Lamborgini V12 in your Z next year?" For some reason he just doesn't seem to find my question as inspirational as I hoped! Decisions, decisions .........

End of Story,

Good Night

Scottie

I've been wondering the same thing about why the builder seems to have gone on a welding rampage when building all the ducting? Almost seems like it chose to do it that way for decoration purposes, crazy as that sounds.

I run a 3" , custom designed & welded up, stainless exhaust system on my 240Z turbo car and the builder of that system obviously used mandrel bent sections as often as possible as he built and installed that system.

I have no experience with welding aluminum nor stainless, but can anyone tell me if all that gold and blue color along stainless steel ducting on the dual turbo Q45 car could have been caused by some other tube forming process other than heat from seam welding? Does welded stainless always look like that after the heat process?