HybridZ

Dual Turbo Q45 V8 Swap Completed

Sleek Z

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been contacted several times over the past 2 years by 3-4 persons claiming to be either planning to or alreay seriously working on their own VH engine swap into a S30 body, but as of yet, not single one has contacted me with fresh updates. 2 were in Australia, one in Washington /Oregon border area and one other in either New Zealand or Japan?

I know the guy in the Wash/Ore region to be a classic act, more than capable to pull off a beautiful swap, but his family life is taking up more of his time than in the recent past so it's a bit difficult to ascertain whether he will complete his in the near future. btw, this guy also makes 1-2 trips per year to Japan to buy up RB engine half cuts, other rare Datsuns and might be open to importing some critical VH engine swap parts if many swappers put in requests. Send them to me at eric@zparts.com and I will forward them on.

I'm surprised that with all the replies, someone didn't mention anything about the oil pan!!! Looks pretty low to me. Granted, the caz is pretty awsome, but don't you think that with a lowered Z and an oil pan that looks to be about 1.5" to 2" below the front cross-member is surely asking for trouble. Maybe he intend to drive it on billiard table. To me, it looks like an accident waiting to happen. Other than that little issue...........WOW, NICE Z!!!

Hopefully he made this as a track only car and even then... a dry track only car. If is going to race on a road course or drive it daily when it is raining with those turbos low like that water could potentially splash onto them pretty easily. Hot cast iron dislikes water a lot.... I'm sure most of you knew that though so. :lol:

While searching for some headlights I somehow came across a nifty post on the Q45 section of the Automotive Forums. The post that stuck out to me went a little like this:

"The VH45 weighs 3 lbs less than an L28 engine.

I am currently putting one in a 1970 240Z, I have twin turboed the engine and it was dynoed at 765bhp at the flywheel @ 18lbs(on pump gas), and 950bhp @ 26 lbs boost(on Avgas 130oct)."

If that is true.... that's incredible! What is nice is you are basically taking the stock weight of the engine and moving it further back in the engine bay and also lower in there.

What's even cooler is (if this is true) he's pulling a shit load of power out of that engine. Definitely makes me feel even better about this swap.

The original post started here http://www.automotivehelper.com/topic52633.htm where a guy with a 260Z was wanting to swap the engine.

Who sells fender flares like that?

That z is bad! as far as price break down what do ya think this guy spent in parts? what kinda tranny and rear end is he running? isn't the q45 auto? I would love to do something like this but the q45 engine alone would set me back a few g's not to mention all the custom parts needed! But its nice how he kept it all nissan!

I'm working on a VH45 swap into a 280Z myself. I'm using a 300zx Twin Turbo transmission and for now the Q45 rear diff. The rear diff. has a pretty low ratio (something like 3.53:1) so, according to another person's calculations, in 5th gear at 7,000 rpm it would be possible to have a top speed of 200 mph... if you had the aerodynamics and power to get it there. I'm going to need to get a different rear end in the future to bring the top speed down to about 160 or so for some better acceleration on the bottom end.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest binchillin

So, you see the PTO on the diff(erential)? I built PTO's for awhile(only assembly) and I never thought about installing one on the rear-end. That is a PTO ......right? What else could it be?

• 1 month later...

Can anyone direct me to a thread about a VH45 swap in a Z32. I'd like to compare notes. I'm in the process of swapping one in my Z32. I have 3 Z32's, but got this one with a blown engine. After looking at the price of a low mile JDM desided to go all the way and build a as* kicker. I've had the engine in 3 times for test fittings but not running yet.

• 1 year later...

WOw...keep puttin' ideas in my head, guys. I recently bought a '95 Q45 and love it but man could it stand to lose about 1500lb. (it weighs about 4300 without me in it, gross is like 5250 or something)

I am currently trying to get it to run on all 8 (rats chewed wires, I fix wires, replace knock sensors, and am currently replacing the rebuilt injectors that decided to not work.) I am amazed....this thing, despite it's weight, running on 6cyl and dragging 2 dead ones, can still do 90mph without breaking a sweat, and will pass 100 if u floor it...imagine what it would do in a 2900lb Z car.....

Twin turbo it to boot? That is insane....but I LIKE it

Can't do it yet though....gettin out the navy in about a yr. going back to PA (allentown) and still have to pay off the Q and than I can think about swapping that engine into something.

Actually was thinking of keeping my Z l-powered and putting that thing into a '95 240sx, and tell people it's factory.

Dammit, gotta keep my mind straight...still have to pay the Q45 off before I rip the motor out....