HybridZ

Dual Turbo Q45 V8 Swap Completed

Sleek Z

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a post from the Nicoclub.com forums.

On the 3rd age it looks as if it says Z31 right under the small pic of the transmission. Considering that the car is making 700+hp I am suprised that a Z32 transmission isn't being used. Perhaps the Z31 tranny can be built up for cheaper? Maybe referring to the differential?

What is that below the oil pan? looks like some kind of oil return pump for the turbos driven off the flywheel or just placed there for convenient mounting?

Also looks like the oil pan was just notched for clearance of the crossmember.

TD06 turbos...

Maybe someone that has more knowledge of the Japanese language can figure out some of the specs better than I can. I can just tell between the Japanese characters and the Chineese ones in there.

Speaking of Komiya-san's Z... I don't think I ever posted these here...I scanned these from the Dec '05 issue of Cal magazine.. it's a feature on his car with some more close-up pics of the mechanicals. The lower runners are stock' date=' with sheetmetal plenums. Notice in Japan they tend to avoid using the big square (or as I call them, mailbox) or plain cylindrical plenums. They actually used formed ones that actually look good and flow... form AND function.

[img']http://www.onetongarage.com/misc/z01.jpg[/img]

z02.jpg

z03.jpg

Here is a post from the Nicoclub.com forums.

On the 3rd age it looks as if it says Z31 right under the small pic of the transmission. Considering that the car is making 700+hp I am suprised that a Z32 transmission isn't being used. Perhaps the Z31 tranny can be built up for cheaper? Maybe referring to the differential?

The later Z31 turbo trans are basically the same internally as the Z32 trans.

What is that below the oil pan? looks like some kind of oil return pump for the turbos driven off the flywheel or just placed there for convenient mounting?

It's not driven off the flywheel. That's an electric motor on there. It may be there for convenient mounting but if they have any speed bumps in Japan it won't be there very long.

There has always been a couple things with that car that bothered me. The bodywork is really great looking with the Porsche rear fender.

I'm pretty sure tht the welds were laid with an orbital welding machine to be that consistant. I've never seen hand laid beads all the way around a tube that were THAT consistant.

Like this:

AMI-M84000A.jpg

I've seen a small one in action and then one big one on a piece of 316 stainless steel tubing that was 3 feet in diameter with 1.5" thick walls. They used a TIG setup with a MIG wire feeder and made continuous welds all the way around. It made a very cool "S" or "8" weave pattern that was 1" wide.

If you look at the weld on the tube that leads off to the wastegate from the header it looks kind of globby compared to the other welds. Nothing like the nice machine welds...

I bet he paid a LOT of money for the setup and it is quite interesting.

I doubt that the car has even 1500 miles on it to date though. Looks more like a show toy.

• 5 months later...

I'm gonna bump this. If anyone is wondering, with those turbos sitting so low, he is using a sump pump (bolted to the front of the trans at the bottom) to siphon the oil draining out of the turbos and push it up into the oilpan. Otherwise, the oil would stack up and push out through the turbo seals really quick. I'm not a big fan of that (cost, complexity), but I am still trying to find an alterntive for the S30 chassis with a VH45. Anyone installed a VH45 in the S30 that can comment on locating turbos forward, etc. I'd really like to avoid low-hanging turbs like that.

Anyone installed a VH45 in the S30 that can comment on locating turbos forward, etc. I'd really like to avoid low-hanging turbs like that.

Either install the turbos where the battery & master cylinders went(relocating those inside the car) or mount them in the wheelwells behind the front wheels. Those are both good places.

Or you can do a traditional setup with twins mounted up front at the top of the engine.

Either install the turbos where the battery & master cylinders went(relocating those inside the car) or mount them in the wheelwells behind the front wheels. Those are both good places.

Or you can do a traditional setup with twins mounted up front at the top of the engine.

Yeah, traditional is fine with me. Just wasn't sure if there was enough room between the block and the frame rails and strut towers on each side for the exhaust manifolds to run forward and the downpipes to run back rearward. If that's the case; it's all good. :-)

Yeah, traditional is fine with me. Just wasn't sure if there was enough room between the block and the frame rails and strut towers on each side for the exhaust manifolds to run forward and the downpipes to run back rearward. If that's the case; it's all good. :-)

Yes you can run exhaust manifolds in there as there is some room, but not for the stock manifolds. (which you don't want to use, trust me)

You can route the exhaust either above the valve cover next to the strut tower or route it inbetween the frame rail and the strut under the fender. (thinking 3" downpipes)

You could also run it back under the engine banks if you aren't using power steering or A/C.

So there are plenty of options.

Yes you can run exhaust manifolds in there as there is some room, but not for the stock manifolds. (which you don't want to use, trust me)

You can route the exhaust either above the valve cover next to the strut tower or route it inbetween the frame rail and the strut under the fender. (thinking 3" downpipes)

You could also run it back under the engine banks if you aren't using power steering or A/C.

So there are plenty of options.

Power steering?! Air conditioning? Pssht... My datsun doesn't even have interior, wipers, audio, etc. There's a perfectly good air conditioning system actuated by the cranking handle on the inside of each door. :-)

I'm aware of all the various ways to route it, but you've personally seen a VH45 in an S30 and you can fit the piping where the A/C and P/S pumps are? Three inch minimum, of course.

Power steering?! Air conditioning? Pssht... My datsun doesn't even have interior, wipers, audio, etc. There's a perfectly good air conditioning system actuated by the cranking handle on the inside of each door. :-)

I'm aware of all the various ways to route it, but you've personally seen a VH45 in an S30 and you can fit the piping where the A/C and P/S pumps are? Three inch minimum, of course.

check out this link!!!!

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/338148

my terrorising of the s30 until my mate sadly passed away, put everything on hold bigtime, as i we were in the workshop we rent together. he was also the one who talked me into the swap and to get rid of the boat anchor chev.

the blue car was some of his inspiration to have a sik vh45 240z, and was/is mine too. i almost had the vh mounted so that the hood still shuts with stock inlet, although i was still planning to make same one as shown on the blue car as it is stock runners with a custom cover with throt bodies added at the front, you can re-arrange 2 sets of stock runners so the line up like that.

have a look at the link, in the link and youll find the photo gal on photophuket!!!

chers nate

check out this link!!!!

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/338148

my terrorising of the s30 until my mate sadly passed away, put everything on hold bigtime, as i we were in the workshop we rent together. he was also the one who talked me into the swap and to get rid of the boat anchor chev.

the blue car was some of his inspiration to have a sik vh45 240z, and was/is mine too. i almost had the vh mounted so that the hood still shuts with stock inlet, although i was still planning to make same one as shown on the blue car as it is stock runners with a custom cover with throt bodies added at the front, you can re-arrange 2 sets of stock runners so the line up like that.

have a look at the link, in the link and youll find the photo gal on photophuket!!!

chers nate

That is awesome! Just what I was looking for. I appreciate you posting the link. I am going to have to get into NICO some more. I was thinking of having a machine shop make half a dozen sets of engine mounts or something once I get a decent location if anyone else was interested.

Sorry to hear about your mate. I know that takes the wind out of your sails to say the least.

That is awesome! Just what I was looking for. I appreciate you posting the link. I am going to have to get into NICO some more. I was thinking of having a machine shop make half a dozen sets of engine mounts or something once I get a decent location if anyone else was interested.

Sorry to hear about your mate. I know that takes the wind out of your sails to say the least.

Ha ha,

i WAS already in that process, mocking up the engine mounts with hand cut plates, then laser cut all req'd shapes to click together like lego and take to work to weld on the robotic welder i have full pen weld that look like they were painted on! about 4 or 5 sets, top & bottoms.

I was also going to do the sumps but came up with a nifty lil trick with spinning it to make it well 'spinnable' as it wasnt feasable with a straight cut.

Yea on the vids i have on youtube you can here my mate, pretty likeable character and was a devastating loss to all, he had only just had his 2nd child, a 12 week old girl, talk about merciful god! wtf???

Will hopefully get back onto the Z in a few weeks, just finished fixing this steal of a almost new hatchback for the miss', piked it up for 4.5k and once fixed and painted (which it will be next week) will sell for atleast 15-16k, will keep it for a while as it has 12 mnths reg, and only just over a yr old!!!! haha only owes me 7.5k on the road so yea will have a bit of spare cash soon!!!! ya bout time i scored!!!!

cheers for acknowledgement of our loss here, what can we do but move on..

nat0

• 1 month later...

I noticed in the images of this one that they really notched the frame rails down to essentially half of what they were. This makes it a triangular cross-section frame rail. I plan to mount twin turbos as well. I need to find a way to avoid this if possible, however. It seems like it'd be really weak in that area. I was going to build a cage with points running up to the strut towers and from them down to the frame rails up close to the rad core support, but that still leaves some weakness. Hmm...