HybridZ

searched dont flame 302 swap bellhousing

Guest znow white

Guest znow white

My brother has a 280zxt which I call the zamborgini (really funny looking car) anyways he took the turbo motor out and bought a 92 302 off a 5.0 mustang for 900 CDN (he claims thats the cheapest but I think he got ripped off!) anyway because he had the turbo zx it has the BW tranny which is very similair to the one that came in the mustang. my ques is will this be a direct bolt on? meaning which bellhousing should he be looking for?

Thanks in advance!

The biggest problem that I can think of off-hand is finding a clutch that will work. A bellhousing off of a Mustang should work to bolt it up to the new engine, but the input shaft is different between the Z and Mustang transmissions. Unfortunately, to change the input shaft, the entire transmission guts need to be swapped. There is a possibility that you might be able to find a clutch disk that will work with the Ford pressure plate, but I don't know off-hand what might work or if the input shaft is even the right length. I seem to recall reading some information on the problems with the swap somewhere on the net...can't find it offhand, though.

Another issue to consider is that the old BW trannies aren't anywhere near as strong as the later ones found in the later Mustangs. The one in the old 280zx's is not a World-Class unit, and is rated at a much lower torque spec. If any real modifications have been made to the 5.0 engine, you risk blowing up the tranny in no time!

Gene

Guest znow white

yah I know its bad enough that the mustang trannies are also bad and cant handle allot of torque my bro just dropped in a tremec into his mustang because his stock one just couldnt handle it.

so if the input shaft is different theres no real point to transferring all the guts out might as well get a T5 off a mustang even though the bellhousing will can bolt up? am i thinking logical here someone please chime in....

thanks in advance

so if the input shaft is different theres no real point to transferring all the guts out might as well get a T5 off a mustang even though the bellhousing will can bolt up? am i thinking logical here someone please chime in....

You would be correct.