HybridZ

351W a tight fit...

gene_w

My cross members are all in the stock position. I had Mike sut up alsil's mount a little for some repositioning. Now I can fit the 302 just behind the cross member (unfortunatly one of the plugs is blocked now, I will install a new one elsewhere). My block is angled slightly and the pan sits about 1/2 maybe a little more (from memory) below the x-member. The original L motor mount on the driver side needs to be removed to fit my fuel pump or oil filter can't rememeber which as the car is not with me. I willt ry and remember to take photos.

Now for a 351 with its heigher deck height there should not be a probelm. It is all about setting the engine/tranny in at like a 60 degree angle and finagling it into the sweet spot. It takes some work and we use a come along + crane. The only way I can see the 351 not working, is if the pan sticks father forward or the the valve covers somehow hit, althought I am pretty sure they are in the clear on the 5.0. Hope that helps.

EDIT: With a second look at those pictures the block just looks like it is sitting too high up to move further back. Mine is a bit lower which allows the bell housing bolts to acctually sit behind the firewall maybe 1/2"-1". I think you gotta try getting it in at an angle, if you haven't.

UGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I need to start reading dates, people keep bringing up really old posts. Well the answer is in the edit any way

• 1 year later...
Guest Fairlady351ZX

I have seen a 351W w/ C4 in a S130 280zx 2+2. The owner is an engineer. He has kept the engine 4" or so from the firewall and manufactured a sump with a slot in it to clear the standard cross member (rack & pinion). Very little clearance externally for the cross member, and internally for the oem oil pump. I am doing the same conversion, but do not want to go that far from the fire wall. I have bought a remote Johnson single-stage oil pump and I will flatten off the front of the standard sump to clear the standard cross member. As far as I know these are the only two options for 351W into 280zx without modification to the cross member.

I suspect that this is one of the main reasons most V8 conversions into S130 are Chevy. It's been so long, I've forgotten why I went with the Windsor.

• 1 month later...

Or, rather than f**cking around with pans from a 70 econo line or what ever, one could just get http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=FMS%2DM%2D6675%2DA58&N=700+400070+309332+115&autoview=sku

and know that its going to work. As its been mentioned, the 351 is a front pump/front sump set up. The 302 out of a fox body is a front pump/rear sump set up. They sell a pan and new pickup for putting a 351 where the 302 used to be. Simple as pie.

In my swap I used the front-sump pan, which required some front crossmember modifying, BUT the advantages are nice.

1) In a low-slung car and/or motor, the oil pan sump is in line with the front wheels, which means that the pan rises with the front of the car over speed bumps. A rear sump pan would be headed back down toward the pavement about the time the sump gets to the crest of the speed bump.

2) Any angle put on the drivetrain will make the front of the engine higher than the rear. It won't be by much, but every little bit helps.

• 1 month later...

I have a 351 windsor in my project. It is not easy. I realized that to get the engin low enough and back far enough that I had to hamer the fire wall in just a little in the right places. now the oil pan just misses the cross member and the firewall. This put the engin verry low which I think will inhanse the handleing, once I finish. I fabed the mounts after I had the engin placed where I wanted. The engin is in place, but I'm saving to build it. I've been piddling with this 260z for over two years and it looks like it will be another two years before its ready.