HybridZ

Hey ford guys, need some help here! Bad lifters in 5.0

labrat

Ok, I just bought a 1989 mustang LX 5.0 with a bad miss on two cylinders. Good straight body, excellent interior, and brand new super duty T5 with a hurst shifter. The only thing wrong with the car was a bad miss on two cylinders and a nasty tick under the passenger side valve cover.

I tore into the motor (pulled intake and valve covers) and found the cause of the tick. I have 2 bad roller lifters (the needle bearings in the roller are completely gone and the rollers have flat spots) as well as another lifter that is badly galled on the roller.

My question for you guys is:

Should I just replace the lifters and cam, or should I go through the whole motor and put bearings in it too? My take on it, is those needle bearings had to have gone somewhere. I'm inclined to just find a shortblock for cheap somewhere and go for it. On the other hand, I could put new lifters and a cam in it for under 300 bux.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bill

Come on guys, throw me a bone here! Is this cause by oil starvation, over revving, or what? Has anyone else had roller lifters fail this way? I know the tick has been going on for a while (as per previous owner), will the needle bearing have torn up the rods and mains?

I've never worked with a roller motor before (and I had to look up the pedestal mounted rockers... wierd) so I really don't know what these could be a symptom of. I'm guessing the rollers ate up the cam lobes too, but this is just my flat tappet experience talking. Anyone have any input?

Thanks!

Bill

I'm not exactly sure what would cause the roller bearings to fail in the lifters. That is very strange. Hopefully any shrapnul caused by the bearings ended up in the oil filter. If I were you, I'd drop a couple new lifters in (maybe even the whole set just in case) and a cheap cam. I hear these are excellent cams, and cheap too!

http://store.summitracing.com/product.asp?p=3789&searchtype=ecat

You can get a set of used lifters for real cheap from swap meets or through ebay.

Gene

Guest 305240

Just a thought here...I'm going on the theory that if a few of them went, the others won't be that far behind. I'd change them all. Also, I think I would drop the pan and clean it out. Hopefully, you find the bearings there.

Thanks guys, appreciate the input. On further examination, the car has 0 oil pressure at hot idle, is overheating on the highway, and has evidence of exhaust in the water... that thick red scum of rust and soot that floats on top of the coolant. I can get a stock shortblock for only 450 (plus cam), whaddaya think?

Bill

Thx!@!

• 2 months later...
Guest Muscle Z
Thanks guys' date=' appreciate the input. On further examination, the car has 0 oil pressure at hot idle, is overheating on the highway, and has evidence of exhaust in the water... that thick red scum of rust and soot that floats on top of the coolant. I can get a stock shortblock for only 450 (plus cam), whaddaya think?

Bill

Thx!@![/quote']

A) go to your local junkyard and see how much you get get lifters and a new cam for.

B) sounds like a nasty nasty block crack.