HybridZ

Got My Z today

I bought a 78 280Z on ebay last week and recieved the car today. It's a little rough, but pulling the carpet shows no rust, the battery tray area is good, the frame rails look good also. Everything else is in rough shape, like the brakes and the engine is running rough. The tags on it were from 1994 so I guess it's been parked for 10 years! It still runs! Tires have good tread but look 10 years old (dry cracking). The turn signal switch and headlight wiper switch is loose and turning on the steering column. The high beams dont work, and the carpet is dry rotted.

Time to get started on the LS1/T56 project.

Dale

Good to see so many people who are also just starting on newer SBC projects, I know I'll have company while I do mine. I am waiting for a new garage and a rotisserie here.... Figured if I am about to make myself vulnerable to the "while-I-am-it" syndrome, I might as well start off on the right foot and completely restore and firm up the chassis. I figure with spring hitting there are bound to be a few LSI cars that get trashed by kids, and I want to be there to pick up the pieces. 8) Plus, I remember all too well starting an upgrade, only to be unpleasantly surprised with more Z-rot. This time around I want to only fix rot once..... Time will tell, I guess. Good luck on your project, keep us up to date on any progress...

tannji

I bought a 78 280Z on ebay last week and recieved the car today. It's a little rough' date=' but pulling the carpet shows no rust, the battery tray area is good, the frame rails look good also. Everything else is in rough shape, like the brakes and the engine is running rough. The tags on it were from 1994 so I guess it's been parked for 10 years! It still runs! Tires have good tread but look 10 years old (dry cracking). The turn signal switch and headlight wiper switch is loose and turning on the steering column. The high beams dont work, and the carpet is dry rotted.

Time to get started on the LS1/T56 project.

Dale[/quote']

Dale,

Congrats on the Z car purchase. It sounds like you got a great base to start with. No rust is the most important thing. The brakes will need to be upgraded to handle the LS1 power. You don't have to worry about the motor. Stuff like the carpet and the turn signal switch can easily be replaced. The little stuff can nickel and dime you to death on these cars but just don't fall into the "while I'm at it " syndrome. It will be great to see another LS1 Z conversion get started.

Please try to document as much of the swap as possible for us and take lots of pictures.

I plan to start pulling my motor next week for my LS1 swap. I will be keeping a full detailed journal on the swap to share with others.

Best of luck!

Well my plan is the following.

1. Fix the brakes.

2. Get the existing engine running good.

3. Fix the turn signals and headlights.

4. Rip out the old stinky carpet and lay down some cheap indoor outdoor carpet for now.

5. Get a seat cover.

6. Put in a rollbar.

Then I will drive it for a while and get a feel for the car for a little while, and then:

1. Install the LS1/T56.

Then I want to work out all the bugs before I start doing the brake upgrade, suspension upgrade, and body work. That should give me some time to think about what I really want in the car.

Dale

sounds like we have the same car, i've only had mine for about a month. and i have found many of the same problems. only i have no windshield wipers, and my floorboard is rusted through, only one small hole though. looks like that is the the worst spot. i should be ordering replacement parsts in a couple of days. once that is done i should be ready to get the ls1.

sounds like a lot of people are starting, or allready waist deep in the ls1 swap.

hope you have as much fun as i'm allready having with this car.

I am having so much fun. Just trying to get the car running well enough to evaluate it is harder than expected. Not that I cant do it, more like "try to find the parts". Local auto parts stores can order parts, but I decided to call around and find some and struck out. Guess I'll order parts tomorrow (Distribuitor cap, All brake components).

P.S.

Got my LS1 kit from Johns cars today too!

Dale

• 5 years later...

Yep, officially hijacking Dale's thread here.

6 years after Dale started his LS1 pursuit, and 2 years after he sold the 280 to me, the car is finally painted.

I hope he comes back to HybridZ some day to see that I kept my promise :mrgreen:

Joe

067.jpg

074.jpg

068.jpg

Thanks guys. Slowly but surely I have been moving forward from where Dale left off. He gave me a great car to start with and had a lot of things done, all the right way!

Since I purchased the car I have; replaced the roof, no more sunroof, installed coilovers, sectioned the struts, camber plates, completed MM 5 lug conversion, installed air dam, installed S2000 seats, changed the dash, changed the interior from brown to black, installed a full exhaust, installed A/C, installed power windows, swapped front bumper for a small bumper 260Z piece, RT diff mount, set of sway bars, roll bar, full weatherstripping set, and finally paint.

Guess I have been a little busy, but I'm not finished!

Joe

Yeah everyone guess where I am heading....Joe's house. Tonight install 240z bumpers on the car!

This car has come a long way since it has been bought and Joe has done a great job finishing up a car that just needed some TLC.

I will be starting a thread soon for a painter.....the guy who painted this car is also the one that painted my car and will start paint on my 70 car in two weeks...two weeks Joe! Gotta get the car to your house! ;)