HybridZ

which z31 engine

Guest StreetVelocity

Guest StreetVelocity

I have asked about this at z31.com and they wouldnt tell me so i ask the great people here i have a 86 300zx and planning a turbo swap (engine and tranny) what im wondering is what year 300zx should i get for the swap i know i dont want a 88 89 because they use the t-25 turbo and are not as efficent so my qustion is what should i use and what is the diff in the 84 85 engines and the 86 87s and what year was the w series and whats the diff on it. i know I asked a lot of questions but I need to know them thank you very much :-D

StreetVelocity

Well hows this for help!

84-86 300zxt's ALL had 3.54 R200 non lsd diff (2+2's as well)

87+ 300zxt's all had 3.7 LSD R200's. Even the 2+2's

87+ NON turbos had 3.7 NON lsd R200's.

84-87 300zxt's all had 200hp and 230 ftlb of torque.

88-89 30zxt's all had 205hp and a bit more torque (can't remember that #)

84 300zxt's had a T3 that was only oil cooled.

All other years were water and oil cooled.

88-89's ran the smaller t25, and had more compression. 8.3 as compared to 7.8.

Personally I'd go for an 87 300zxt engine. The 86's have TWO different engines in the same year.. 86.5 and newer are the same as 87's... 86.49 and older are the same as the 84-85's. Follow?

Don't forget you need more than the motor! ie front crossbar... the engine mounts different because of the turbo location.

Water cooling was on all 85+ turbos from the factory. It could have been replaced, who knows.

The engines are the same from 84 through 3/87. 4/87 through 89 had the W series engines. Here's the differences: http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~radare/wserieschanges.html

Personally, I'd just turbo your NA block and keep the 9:1 compression. That's what I did and so have several others without any problems.

The '84 body was the lightest. They have all those diff specs posted on Z31.com under the lower group of FAQ's you would click on. I'm using an '89 engine in an '89 with a T3 and do not know what the rear end gears are. It may be rated at 205, but it may have had some internal work done on it to. With the JWT 400-450 HP ECU in an '89 and the 420cc injectors you will get plenty of HP. Those injectors are specified by JWT by the way. And, you can always add nitrous with that same JWT ECU coonversion. The seats and the a/c controls are either GL or GLL models and those wanting speed opt for the lighter GL Model Z Car with a T3 turbo of course. The '88-'89 engine accept with T3 readily with the original T3 ductwork.

Guest StreetVelocity

so you think i should go with a 88 engine with a t-3 turbo what about trannys i know the 88 89s are diffrent but will it fit right in my 86

yes it'll bolt in, all of those cars had VG30ET motors, as long as your car started life as a turbo they will bolt in, if you car startedas an N/A you'll need the crossmember as well, this is all covered in the FAQ over at Z31, might be why you did not get a responce