HybridZ

radiator troubles

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I've been trying to find the right radiator for 2 weeks now,and every 4 cyl 84-86 Camaro rad I've ordered is too long (30 inches).I even went through the catolog at the parts house myself.I went to the search area and found a modine #952,they didnt say whether it was alum/plastic or copper.Does anyone know what the part # is that J.T.R actually sells.I would rather buy it locally if possible. thanks for any response. rockon.gif

Guest Anonymous

Hey, thanks for the offer,but I think I will call Summit and order a Griffin.I want to keep things as light as possible,and the Summit $ is pretty good. cheers.gif

Guest Anonymous

I gave up on finding the aftermarket Modine 952 which is most likely extinct and not made in the 18 3/4 X 25 1/8 dimensions specified by JTR. The Griffin has no "bolt hole" mounting provisions and relies on channels to secure it to the frame.No auto trany provisions either. The JTR radiator mount or dimensions is not much good. I fabricated my own channel radiator mount to my specs for the Griffin . Also there is a thicker cored Griffin inthe 24X 19 inch size that is unlisted. Member Grog reports that there is a 1977-78 Gran Prix radiator of copper and brass in the samedimmensions as the 952 Modine/1983-85 Camaro radiator.I have since done research on the aftermarket radiators for the Pontiac Gran Prix and it appears these sources only have v6 radiators that would fit leaving the original 1978-79 Gran Prix v8 radiator as a source,

Guest Anonymous

I agree on the JTR mount.I was going to fab my own as well.It does'nt make any sense to me to bolt a rad mount in.Its not like I'm going to change my mind and put the 6 back in.weld it in solid and use rubber pads.Thanks for the tip on the thicker core. 2thumbs.gif

I have ordered from these guys before and have been very happy with the results! Their radiators are good quality and can be picked up locally (in some locations) or shipped to you. I am fortunate that they have a main depot in the SF Bay Area.

Radiator.com

Their prices really can't be beat.

Davy

Guest Anonymous

MSA sells a 4-row radiator for the V-8 conversion, has anyone here tried this radiator? They say that it bolts up in the same holes as the stock radiator. Oh yeah this is Georgia Flash 75 Z8! I changed my profile and can no longer sign on under that name so I had to create a new one. Alas I am a new member all over again bonk.gif

On the two previous conversions I've done, I took my chevy crossflow radiators from the donor car and brought them to the local radiator shop. I had them put a four row core of the dimensions I required. $160 a pop, and it has provisions for trans cooling. I have never had cooling problems with either car. Just another option available.

Guest Anonymous

Looks like Tim H has the Camaro radiator in the JTR specs at a reasonable price.. As far as my research the Modine 952 in the JTR specs is extinct in the overall 25 1/8 X 18 3/4 inches X 7/8 core. Jegs (free catalog 1-800-345-4545) offers Moroso's inline radiator hose filler with radiator cap receptacle for $23.99 which is required by my Tomahawk Z application with the Griffin radiator or any radiator modification without a filler cap.. Which brings up another problem: the Griffin has no drain plug! AS Z law points out MSA has a direct bolt in heavy duty radiator based on the Z radiator (which may be duplicated by a radiator shop) Or as fureher pointed out a cross flow can be cut down. There has to be some other GM cores out there with the correct dimensions. Nezzie 76 runs a stock Z radiator with his 305 SBC and without a problem this summer. I made some block off plates out of fiberglass to restrict the air intake thru any holes on the radiator mouint chassis cross member other than the radiator and it appears I will make a custom shroud out of fiberglass and use a high flow mechanical fan.

Guest Anonymous

In the last 3 days that my computer was geeked out,I went ahead and ordered a griffin.So I'm commited to go that route now.Thanks for all the input. cheers.gif

Guest Slvrhase

I just got my JTR Manual (7th ed. I think), if I remember right, it shows radiator for 85-92 full size Chevy van with 4.3L V-6 to fit. It is a sinlge core over an inch wide. Anyone had any luck with this one yet? Just starting my swap and looking at pro's and con's!

I got a Modine 347 four core for $220. That's the number on the box. It's brass and copper and very beefy. I do not intend to ever run hot. It fits like a glove between the frame rails, but I am going to have to move the tabs on the lower support in about an inch because the tanks sit on them. I plan to run a mechanical fan with a shroud. Any suggestions on the shroud?

Guest Anonymous

Georgia Z.. You mabe able to fabricate some Gm shroud parts together to fit the the Modine 347. What does #347 radiator fit? I also plan to use a mechanical fan and fabricate my own fiberglass shroud by using (thin) metal roof sheathing as a mold ie: pop rivet a wide sheet together to make a circular mold in a larger diameter of the fan and then hand lay the fiberglass resin and cloth to the interior of the sheet metal circle and then bond the new fiber glass shroud to a flat fiberglass mounting piece.