HybridZ

Motorcycle V-8's

240jz

This is what I want for my car :twisted:

Cyclone+Motec1medres.jpg

I know it is not the most cost efficent hp, but 320 at 11000rpm, 73kg weight still makes the autocrosser in my very happy. This is a two liter v-8 bassed on two 1000 cc Yamaha motors. There are a number of companies experimenting with them including some using the Hyubusa barrels and heads. They are primarily built for radicals and hill climbers in the uk. But I WANT ONE!!!!

Matt

ps about 22000 dollars

• 3 weeks later...
Guest quadcamZ

it is well yes sweet and a realy nice piece of engineering but the lack of torque would not be realy practical for a zed car. i know they are light but not quite light enough for that. IMO

There's a guy in a one man welding shop in Dalton, GA that is in to racing dune buggies and I happened to need him to weld a 4130 hollow sway bar I was making for the ITS car. Good old boy had a V8 he had made from two Kawasaki motors. Made his own dyno and was tuning it. Cool.

Heck, if you can weld two motors together why not 4 for a V16?? Now that would get you a crowd at the local Z club meet!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 570Z

lol that would be wicked AgentZ!

My friend and I were planning on putting my Z's L28E on his go-kart chassis, but I hd to saw the shifter off to get it out of the car :( we could have had a lot of fun with that

That little V-8 would scream, man. I would put it in one of those little Triumph Spitfires or a datsun 1600... hehe

• 1 year later...

It almost looks 2 good 2 be true....

But man what nice work. Love it.

....I mean even if it could make torque...How could that tiny crankshaft journal hold the power of serious race tires combined with the weight of even the lightest 240z chassis?

Hmmm just a thought.

• Administrators

I couldn’t help myself when I saw this thread so I had to add a few more pics of this particular Bike V-8 project. It is a Formula SAE project, and if this one is the same as the rest of the Formula SAE field, it is limited to 600 CC, and a very small single throttle valve! This team scratch built the entire car “cept” for the heads, cylinders and pistons and tires. The Crank, rods, case, transaxle, chassis, etc are all SCRATCH built!!!

Formula SAE is a Solo-II class open to colleges and the cars are built around defined limitations such as engine displacement, throttle bore size, wheelbase dimensions, etc.

More info on this SOLO-II class can be found at…

http://students.sae.org/competitions/formulaseries/

These things are BLOODY quick around the autocross track when in capable hands. Time wise they are capable of competing with A-mod cars as well as the Formula 125 shifter KARTS!!! We have one that competes at the Eugene Oregon events, though this particular one isn’t very quick, YET, (most likely an in experienced driver as it should take “top time of day every event”), as I have beaten him in my 13.08 HP Briggs and Stratton powered Kart every time he showed up. He should be KILLING my kart!!!!

For those who lust after designing your own competition 4 wheeled vehicle, Formula SAE is a great place to be….

Mockup.jpg

YEAH.jpg

Here is an EXPLODED view of the entire powertrain… (note the single plane crank)…

EXPLODED.jpg

Here it is on the run-in stand…

Dyno.jpg

The transaxle housing in various stages of machining…

Trans.jpg

The engine in the car it propels…

Carback.jpg

And the car itself.. YEE HAAA!!!!

Carfront.jpg

Yours truly at opposite lock in my SOLO-II KART!!!

OversteercopyCustom.jpg

• Administrators

Sorry I don’t have any info on this particular car. I found it online one day while surfing, forgot what school. You may find the FSAE home page and find a list of entrants and be able to find the info that way.

Good luck

PS, and a pair of turbos would be WAY FRIGGIN COOL!!!!