HybridZ

Roles in life...

Mikelly

It seems we go through periods of growing pains and adjustments. Membership grows. Folks, who are accustomed to the free for all way that life is on the rest of the web, aren't ready to be reined in and worlds collide.

The last few weeks have seen some stresses brought to the board in the form of suspected scammers, people being disrespectful of each other, and down right rude behavior.

In the early years, I spent time thinking it was the younger generation. Then we had some serious conflicts with some middle-aged members. Then the thirty something crowd butted heads with us, and so now I'm of the opinion that it is not generational... People just suck. OK, well some people just suck. How's that?

This site is what it is. We're all here for the love of creating, inventing, and in general, modifying cars. Mainly the Datsun generation 1 Zcar, with the other models following suit. Reality being what it is, many members have other cars they are building as well. We are evolving into a car-engineering site, regardless of the fact that we don't often want to admit it.

However, this evolutionary change has not changed our values, rules or intent for the site.

Further, Recently (As recent as this past weekend, but not just one incident) we have had several members feel they were ripped off by other members. If you sell an item represented as in a specific condition and the buying member can prove that you were dishonest, I'm gonna recommend banning of the person from here on out. The proof MUST be there in the form of documentation, pictures, and any other e-mail evidence. I really detest the thought that some members are preying upon others and being dishonest about the items they wish to sell. This isn't "LAW" yet, but I'm pushing for it, so be forwarned.

The most recent flame wars by a few members have brought about the dreaded "BAN" word again, and this always leaves a bitter taste in people’s mouths... Yea, I know, I know... Free speech and all. Bottom line is read the rules and live by them. Plain and simple. You are free to leave if you don't like them, but stay if you can live with them.

Finally, I know it always seems that "Mike is at it again" , but I really don't mind reminding folks why we are here... and as far as that goes, remember guys, they are just cars. We lost a member this past week... A life, a HUMAN BEING. It could be you, or the loved one sitting right next to you. It could have been me, which in some cases would probably have brought about cheers, but remember they are just cars, and these are just discussions about them. Be objective when you post, and don't, under ANY circumstances take things too seriously.

Thanks, and now back to our regular programming! 8)

Mike

It's not just Mike. All the Admins and Moderators I've spoken and emailed with each other are aware of what's going on lately.

Mike, all, I have a rather pragmatic observation to make:

ANYONE that breathes and can use a computer or WebTV appliance and has an email address can join HybridZ. That hardly makes a "community", until "we" all agree on the way things should and should not be done, and whether we want to follow the rules. Those that don't want to abide become disenfranchised from the "community". This might mean that people post negative things about them, that they get warned by members/moderators/admins, etc., or that they get banned.

The rules are here to let new "members" of our "community" know what is expected of them. The members/moderators/admins from time to time have to step in and say something or do something.

It's not just Mikelly or pparaska.