HybridZ

How much did everyone spend on their V8 Conversion?

Guest Philanthr0py

5000 in 406 stick shift around 1000. 750 in rear diff 3.90 wheels tires . I got 18000 in first build. redoing everything again as far as drivetrain. used best I could afford this time. several years of work. 15000 in 427 sbc,3500 in art carr 2004r 5000 in rear diff,roll cage disc brakes etc.bought 9 inch ford from rousch (they sell nice center sections after 3 races for around 800. all things said and done ill have 50000 in car when done. but 25000 is drivetrain. I think Ill go throw up now!!!! ps a word to the wise, If your future wife is an accountant( like mine) pay cash for everything and grill out frquently using receipts as fire starter!!!!!! Im just sayin :rolleyes:

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This project is never done. At first it was going to be just changing the engine out, then a lot of "while I am here" type stuff, now will tear it all apart and start from scratch.

It really seems like you should just plan for it all. Save up worse then when you save for an engagement and wedding ring. At this point I will tear it all apart and do a full restore of the body and interior, full suspension and brake upgrade, maybe toss the engine to go with a LS series or build up the LT1 to a 383, and whatever else I decide to do. All of this would have been cheaper if I just decided to do this from the start.

• 4 weeks later...

Just surpassed the 10K mark. :( This was just supposed to be a "for fun" car/project.

I haven't touched the body yet.

73 240

400 SBC bored .060 over / aluminum heads

Exhaust

Fully powder coated suspension components

Brand new 5-way adjustable suspension - right down to the washers.

Wheels

Seats

Floors

Trans/ torque converter rebuild

R200 CLSD / CV conversion

upgraded front disc / rear disc conversions

• 2 weeks later...

As to the original poster I have no idea if your even remotely still interested but I will tell you this, with the right bargaining skills you can do one yourself for around 1k not sure if you still have the car but I would recommend picking one up that is already done you will get off super cheap as no one will recoup the cost of building one of these beasts. but as I see we are all flaunting here all share with yall what I have in mine and I would like to add a shout out to the USAF for every one of my pay checks goes into this dam addiction.

Non running complete 280Z $3k

Steering wheel, hub, Auto meter gauges, dash cap, Corbeau seats, and a fuel pump to get the l28 running again $4k

SBC 383 free with labor but spent about 3k at machine shop an on better parts (carb intake cam oil pan ect)

Kesler engineering T-56 with clutch alum flywheel bell housing $5k

1-4 T56 strait cut gears/install $4K

GC coil over/tokico inserts an powder coating all front parts $800 (used to work for GC)

$300 spent on gd broken u joints form that F*&%%* R200

Techno Toy Tuning R230 install kit everything included plus 2X R230 $5k

SB2 on racing junk.com $10K tear……

Modern motorsports front hubs and Cobra brake adapter kit $550

Cobra R brembo brake kit $1.2K

Wheels Tires $1.5K

Fluids fuel line, Ign, Mis parts, Parts bout for no dam reason, hardware, metal for fab, (all nickel and dime stuff here) $2.5-3K

So total is about 40K and the worst part is in my mind I still have a ways to go…but it’s all about building to make it yours if you want a junkyard motor botched together cheap ride then you can do one cheap but if you want something truly unique then plan on spending quite a bit.

post-18426-079634000 1324946973_thumb.jpg

post-18426-007435800 1324946989_thumb.jpg

post-18426-050433800 1325028431_thumb.jpg

post-18426-071696900 1325028538_thumb.jpg

Edited by surpip

• 1 month later...

Prior to engine swap $1500 into completely great running, rust free 78Z.

4.6 mod engine & T-45 5speed $450

Reprogrammed ECU $100

(2nd) T-45 Transmission $50

Clutch etc $65

Driveshaft $300

Clutch slave & master $80

Misc Gauges, junkyard parts $150

Thrush Muffler/exhaust bits n pieces $50

Money back from 280 engine sale $400

At the end of the day, for the whole swap I'm in under $1000, which was my goal. I'm sure little bits and pieces here and there will bring me closer to $100, but don't be scared away from doing a swap looking at some of these guys who build RIDICULOUS cars for $20k+++. Don't get me wrong, they're awesome machines in the end, but you don't have to spend that kind of money for a daily driver sleeper car :)