HybridZ

1JZ Engine Conversion in 260Z

DeusEx

Hey guys,

I have a friend of mine who is offering me a excellent stock 1jz (Twin Turbo) and im wondering if anyone knows anything about this conversion. Im aware that the main things are mounts, exhaust manifolds, breaks and drive trains. But i was wondering if there are any knowledgeble people out there with this sort of knowledge.

As far as manual gearboxes go, i was informed that a W58 from a N/A supra would be my only option. But would it need to be strengthend.

I assume i would need CVs from a 280 to strengthen the back end.

A rough price would also be great or if anyone knows someone who has also attempted the job...

Thanks guys

Theer are loads of questions answered here

http://www.blkmgk.com

Click on pictures and you'll see some scans of the zoom article about the car I now own

Thanks again blkmgk for hosting these!

I have a W58 and it works fine, but if you can get an R154, this is a stronger gearbox, and you can get it to bolt right up with the right bell housing (buying a manual 1jz is your best bet though!)

My car has an R200 LSD from a DR30 skyline, and has the shafts modifed to suit. CVs from a 280 would definitely be a worthy upgrade though, but I do recommend the LSD too!!!

I bougt the car 'done' (well, did a few things myself to finish off) so have no idea of total cost.

Any more ques just ask! :D

wow,

Thanks heaps for that, the article will come in very handy, i bet there were loads of people gunning for that car, youve dont very well. Just a couple of questions about the car itself, how does she drive as a daily driver. Is it tight enough to drive around off boost?

Im sort worried about planting my foot coming out of a corner and just crossing the thing up, i am worried about too much power. AS it stand my L28 makes (a very spirited) 110kw at the wheels, so the 1JZ standard is gonna make almost double that.

SO yeah basically i just would like to know how easy the old girl is to live with.

Thanks heaps for the info

Ha! :D

I'm sure if it comes to the engine, Majik is the one to ask the questions to!

The car drives great though, with an excellent spread of power. Of course you have to be careful putting the power down at corner exits, but that is all part of the fun!

Since my car is running standard turbos etc. it drives very sedately round town, the power is just there if you need it. see the dyno plot below, it shows figures at the wheels (or rather hubs) on UK dyno @ 14 psi (I believe US dynos read higher?) but shows a nice progressive curve.

402OEU361J_dyno1-med.gif

Just took the car round the track at the weekend as well, which was great fun!