HybridZ

So does anybody want to know what a stock 280Z dyno's!!!!!

Guest ON3GO

I'm not giving up on this issue yet. Edelbrock sells 350 Chevy crate engines that put out 425 hp. That works out to 74 hp / liter (425/5.74). With that number we should get:

2.4 l 177 fwhp 151 rwhp

2.6 l 192 fwhp 163 rwhp

2.8 l 207 fwhp 176 rwhp

3.0 l 222 fwhp 189 rwhp

OK so these numbers aren't steller but this is compared to 30 year old tech. With some serious tweeking an N/A 3 liter should be pumping out 200 rwhp. So what will it take to hit this magic 100hp/liter mark? I realy want to know.

Actually those edelbrock numbers are pretty crap considering they've had HOW MANY YEARS to egineer those parts? Now, here's the fact though, all those crate motors have alot more potential that's untapped, so i'm not knocking them at all, I'm just stating that it has no real relevance to the subject.

If you look at motors with the same setup the L motor is right on par with similar technologies. If you want 300NA hp out of an inline 6 buy a BMW motor. It's simple, it's all about air. The L motor isn't crossflow, and as braap on the board can teach you that doesn't matter all that much. BUT the head is short, with small ports that don't allow for much increase in size. Braap and others understand the limitations of the Z head much better than I ever will, but I'll guarentee almost all of the HP limits of the L motors comes down to the head. Sure the stock intake and exhaust might not flow perfectly but they're not the culprit, those can be modified or replaced alltogether. The head can't.

And chevy owner has a plethera of heads to choose from. Any ford owner has many head options, even dodge guys get in on the action. EVO owners can buy cosworth made heads. Honda guys have good heads to start with and there are hundreds of people out there porting them.

It isn't impossible for a B16 motor to reach 200hp on pump gas with high compression forged pistons and some good supporting head poloshing and port matching the intake/exhaust. So that's well beyond the 100/liter range you think it attainable with the L motor.

I say don't press the issue much further if you admittingly don't understand all of it. If you wanna know more do as others here do and use the search feature. :D

I don't mean to be rude, but I admit I don't know a ton about the L motors but at least I can show even you thier limits and limitations.

Sonomaz,

My motor is far from fresh, it's just a crappy, oil burning, oil leaking N42 block/N47head L28 that came with my car...which I bought out of the junkyard, and did a few bolt-ons. I never even pulled the rocker cover to adjust valves. It had an odo showing 01,500 when I bought it and now shows around 42500 so I have 142K if I'm very, very lucky. The motor is now sitting in front of the car at the base hobby shop, as I'm swapping in an 81 L28ET.

The timing chain was so loose that when I installed MSII I could only approximate the timing because the mark jumps around so much. So, when it put down 166rwhp that day I almost crapped myself.

I'm sure the dyno was reading high but I still had 166 and the guy with the built L28 had 164. He was mega pissed. :)

It also put out a super torque curve, 179lb ft if I remember correctly, and it never dropped below 140 unless it was at idle.

I could get it to run consistent 15.2's at 90-91mph in the quarter, and it ate two nissan transmissions along the way.

I also don't know everything about these L series, but don't sell them short. They were way ahead of thier time when they were designed. (in the early sixties, as the first L-powered car was a non-us market car called the Cedric, back in 1966, before then the Cedric had OHV engines)

That's why I always tell people the L-series engine was the "small block Chevy of Japan" (since nissan used them in literally everything and people still hop them up, over 20 years after production stopped) not the B-series (which in 20 years will be about as remembered as the friggin' 8-track) like everyone says. The b-series is more like the LS1 of Japan.

Just my two cents.

I think the L-28 does impressively well considering the year it came out, also. The stock cam is very mild and compare it with other engines that came out around that time?

stock 78 Z L28 had around 115-130hp and 150-170lb ft, right?

Here's some examples of typical late-1970's horsepower figures.

1978 Buick Regal 3.8L 231cid 2bbl- 105hp and 190lb/ft

1978 Chevy 250cid straight six 90-100hp and lots of torque

1978 Corvette L-98- 200hp!

1978 Buick 350 2bbl 155hp and 260lb/ft 4bbl 165hp and 275lb/ft (wtf)

1976 Buick 455- 195hp and tons of torque

1986 buick regal 307olds(5.0L) FOUR BARREL (I actually owned this one) 130hp 260lb/ft...car did 0-60 in about 15sec and was light for it's size at 3300lb

and here are these little datsuns putting out an honest 1hp/cid (albiet gross hp) during this same time period.

What the hell is the complaint about again? So what if they don't put out modern numbers or comparable to an engine (chevy) that's had an aftermarket continually improving the design for the past 60 years?

I think it's commendable considering that terrible smog era.

I couldnt even guess at what you'd have to pay to get one of those heads. But why doesnt some one copy them?

I mean they are out of production' date=' lets get some more maid!

~Alex[/quote']

i would pay $20,000 if someone had one whole kit to sell me :shock:

i want the whole kit and would do pretty much anything to have it

its not about the hp it would make or being cool

its about Z history !

+ reving to 11500 rpm would be the sickest s@%$ ever:burnout:

Honda boy- yea I have a 9K revlimit, its pretty heavily modified and ported. I have 152ft ftlbs and 240HP

Z guy- yea thats nice and all, but my Z has a DOHC head from 1986 mildly ported and my redline is 11,500RPM and I make 200FTLB's and 310HP out of 2.8L:flamedevi

I just rough estimated some cool numbers but you get the idea:twisted:

This is why Ive always like balanced 6cyls, they can rev as much as 4cyl's and make way more TQ doing it.

I-6 FTMFW!!!

Yea the setups would be pricy but omg it'd be SICK, I cant wait to see what happens with the KA->L28DE custom head project too.

~Alex

• 2 weeks later...

thats really cool that u are puttn out that much power...i wonder how much mine is puttn out?...bored and stroked to a 3 liter...high compression pistons...motorsport headers... high out put coil...wires...distributor.. intake...no cat...straight mthrough muffler...3 inch piping...and stuff i dont remember lol...any guesses? im guessn at least 240rwhp cause i can beat a porche boxter S in a race...

If I were you I wouldn't base your car's speed/hp on who you can beat, unless of course you've driven both cars.

Racing is racing and in the end it comes down to the drive. I can just start naming off insane kills but they're meaningless because all that tells you is how bad of a driver the person I was racing was.

I don't mean to hack you down, I just thought you could use this bit of advice.