HybridZ

Shaking doors...

Hey everyone,

I've got a problem with the doors on my 1981 280ZX shaking with just about any bump in the road. Whenever you got over a bump a rippled sort of road service the doors shake around a lot more than what i would have thought they should and on the drivers side has even started chipping the paint on the lower door sill from where the door has hit.

I've tried playing around with the striker for the latch and the hinges and only slightly improved the problem. Is there something else i should be looking for to get the door to lock more securely into place?

Thanks for your help

I've checked for rust and there was a little bit on one of the frame rails but from what i can see it only appeared to have surface rust. The car appears to have had a minor front end hit at some stage although i wouldn't have thought this would be enough to put the allignment of the doors aout badly enough to be the problem??

I would guess that the pivots on the hinges are loose. If you open the door you should be able to grab it near the handle and lift up and see if there is any slop in the hinges. If your weatherstripping is bad or gone that would make the door rattle too.

the weatherstripping is still in reasonable condition but only as good as you can expect for 23 year old rubber. I'll try having another look at the hinges and see if i can line the doors up again as it says in the manual and hopefully i can fix it...

Guest 570Z

Yes, my doors are doing the same exact thing. So far, i've brought it down to that the back latch that grabs the locking mechanism on the door gets worn out after 20 or so years, you know. Even tightening the nuts helped on mine, but thats because i'm stupid :cry:

I'm not sure about the ZX, but the 240Zs have a little rubber bumper in the lower rear corner of each door. They keep tension on the door to keep it from rattling. They are always poping out On the 240Z.

Hope this helps,

Pete

Also, the striker post can wear down over the years to no longer have a tight fit with the door latch. That was the problem with my ZX, the doors would rattle like they were not closed good over the slightest bumps. I used a few layers of electrical tape to make sure that was the problem, and then bought some plastic bushings for them. They are nice and firm now.

• 5 years later...

So for ZXs if everything else is good, the worst rattling can come from worn out striker posts. Replacing the striker post fixes the (im guessing) up-down rattle that happens over bumpy roads. I tried the electrical tape over the 'remains' of the post and it cured the noise so tomorrow I'm going to see Oliver and pick up the brand new striker posts. His price $24/ea. Nissan dealership quoted me $30. It is part number (P/N) 80570-41L00 (those are zeros not Os). Here is a link to one: http://minkara.carview.co.jp/userid/240838/car/133512/674077/parts.aspx

p1.jpg

Whatever is holding that outer ring taught on this one has disintegrated and gone missing on mine which causes the rattle. I didn't know because it's like that on both sides, as was always the same on every ZX I saw in any junk yard.

• 3 years later...

I've found pretty much the same thing with the door strikers, I ordered brand new ones from Nissan (didn't cost too much either) and bought part no 8057041L00 as described above. The didn't completely cure the problem but have made it much better. I think the next place that I will look is the hinges as some people have suggested.