HybridZ

Head erosion

Has anyone ever seen a head erode like this? The head has only been run for a few months. 4 out of 5 cylinders show some signs of this. Most of it is at the head gasket seal but some of it worked into the chamber. There were no signs of water leakage.

head%20erosion.jpg

wow! I have never seen anything like that on an Lseries head, and I have a head that blew a headgasket violently.... There was some small erosion around some of the waterjackets, but nothing like that. what brand of headgasket did you use? perhaps it was built with a metallurgically incompatible metal or something to that effect??

Mack

I had that on my heads too. (V12) I milled the heads and switched to a gasket with a S/S ring on it last summer. I wanted to switch to the pure glycol coolant but couldn’t find it up here.

Time will tell.

Guest Hubbo

When I bought my 280zx it never seem to run quite right.

I finally came around to pulling the engine apart. Apart from broken rings, some scaring etc, the water passages had eaten through to a couple of the cylinders cambers on the head.

If you want any pics, give me a yell. I'll have to grab the head and put it in front of the web cam.

EDIT: Your pic looks like a new head compared to mine. :)

I don't think it is from water. Everything looked like it was sealing and there was no leak path from the water passages. I still had great compression and no signs of a gasket leak although I suspect it would be coming soon. This head has about 1-2K miles since I last took it off. I am wondering if the copper gasket sealer reacted somehow with the aluminum.