HybridZ

EMI Camber Plates

I've got EMI camber plates front and rear on my 240 but they are noisy. The rears make a loud clunk sound when you hit a bump or even just an expansion joint. Sounds like a hammer is hitting the strut tower. It's got Tokico adj with 250 lb/in Eibach's on the rear plus a strut bar on the top. I jacked the spring perches way up just to make sure the struts were not bottoming out and they are not. I also removed the rear swaybar temporarily because it was hitting the body but that didn't fix it either. There is nothing loose so I'm convinced it's the camber plates making the noise. I'm thinking that since the top hat is a little loose (it's only held in by a rubber o-ring and the weight of the car) that it's moving around enough to make this sound.

Is this normal or do I have something going on here?

Thanks

Cameron

I've got EMI camber plates front and rear on my 240 but they are noisy. The rears make a loud clunk sound when you hit a bump or even just an expansion joint. Sounds like a hammer is hitting the strut tower.

Thanks

Cameron

This seems to be the case with other Z`s I`ve been in with camber plates installed.

As long as things are tight and installed correctly you should be good.

That's not normal. Check the gland packing nut and make sure its tight. That's the most common cause of the banging sound you're hearing. You have to get a wrench on it to check and its difficult, but no impossible, with the springs in place.

Second most common cause is the nut on top of the strut coming lose. Use a strap wrench on the shock shaft if you can't get an open end wrench on the flats and torque the top nut to about 20 ft. lbs. Don't go too tight.

The thrid most common cause is failure of the teflon lining of the monoball in the top of the camber plate. Lots of times the teflon fails as a result of one and two above, but a few times its been the primary cause due to a manufacturing defect.

If it looks like the monoball has failed you can send the plate back to Erik and he'll fix it. If the failure is from a bad monoball, the fix is free.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the suggestions John but it ended up apparently there needs to be a thick washer between the bearing and the nut otherwise the nut bottoms out on the threads before it actually clamps the bearing (yet another half-done previous owner blunder). I simply added a washer and now the nut actually clamps the strut in place and no more noise.

Cameron