HybridZ

what to do to kill a zo6

I actually had a run in on the freeway, with the N20 bottle on .I was tuning with my wideband.When I got behind a Brand new yellow Z06 and it still had soft plates on it .To make a short story even shorter, I let off when I pulled about 20 cars on Him.N20 is my drug of choice.A couple of days before I was in a friend of mines turbo VW and He put a serious hurt on a Carrera 4 .He got to be the passenger when I burnt the Z06,Hey I felt obligated to return the favor. :-D

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My daily driver to date cost me a total of about $3500 which includes the '82ZXT donor and $1000 rims/tires :) I haven't done anything to the motor except clean it and paint the block. Actually, there's about 100k miles on it and neither the head or oil pan have been removed since it was built... yet. I do love the vette's and their torque. I used to do high-end audio/video in high priced cars years back and i always took them for a "test ride" The ferrari's, NSX's, Porche's, lotus's were all awesome, fast cars but i loved to get into a vette and just get on it off the bottom. None of the others had that bottom pull. I've have raced about 3 of them so far and their owners do have a very funny look on their face when they catch up :oops: Off the line it's hard to keep them from getting a jump (with a 5sp anyway) but once you spool... :D The last guy made me pull over because he bet me i didn't have a 6cyl...so... i won twice that time :) I couldn't tell ya if they were a Z06's or regular newer vette's that i ran because it usually just happens real fast and it's over but, it sounds like i was running the "normal" ones. All in good fun. Determination is going to beat a Z06. If they're running low 12's, the L28 can be right there with it, and then some. These guys here on the board are doing it. And Rick, well... he just crushes 'em :D

Could you beat a Z06? Yes. But you guys are comparing apples to oranges... One day in a C5, ANY C5 would change your minds about the car forever. A couple of guys on this board own them and, Not unlike the Z, if modified (Rather inexpensive to do so), you get into another whole ball game.

Plus, I'm sorry, but the interior of the Z, the Size of the Z, and a couple of other factors absolutely put it behind the C5 in my mind. I've owned Zs every year since 1987, and I love them. But there is no comparison, and to truly understand what I'm getting at, you gotta spend some time in the C5.

And don't get me started on resale... I can't unload my "Priceless" Z to save me, which is why I still have it... 'Cause lord knows I've tried... No, If I had the choice, I'd have another Vette sitting in the garage as a project, or buy myself a sedan and use my current daily driver Vette as the playtoy.

Yea, a Z can beat a vette... :roll:

Mike

Z still loks better, i dont care if you cant drive across the contry in it, or have a super nice interior. I mean after all they are 30 years old. And if you put 50K into a 240z i garuentee that you could make the interior/ride/handling/power just as good. If i had 50K i sure wouldnt buy a vette. i ratyher have a M3 or somthing. But just my opinion, i think of vette as great old people cars who want to drive a american sports car.

*prepared for bashing*

I think we're a bit off topic here... the origional post and question was:

"what to do to kill a Z06" - implying at least, how to make a Z faster than a Z06 in a straight line or around corners, we aren't sure yet

not

"what to do to make a Z a more comfortable daily driver with more resale value than a Z06"

Hehe. ;)

I agree that the Z06 is a great package at an awesome price though.

i have a 1973 240 z with a 5spd from a 1977 280z and i am putting in a 1982 28zx turbo engine in the car and want to know what i have to do to get more power, also what do i have to do to put in larger injectors

Several individuals on the forum have put 370cc injectors in a Z by modifing the stock AFM.If you do a search the info is readily avalable.Do you want to beat the Z06 on the drag strip?On a freeway roll on? road course?.,My receipe for a drag stip kill would be a upgraded clutch,LSD and a set of M&H 24X15X7.5 Slicks.I would run a mild turbo cam on the motor and at least upgrade the head gasket.I would have a 3" exhaust made from the turbo down pipe to an exhaust cutout, from there you can go cheap if you want.Assuming you have gone with 370cc injectors, a 80hp N20 shot running a port nitrous system http://www.dynotune.org ( the solinoids and jets are more reasonable) and Nos has some really trick soft line kits that simplify installation.A smart buyer on Ebay could setup a system with all the saftey system for about a grand.Done right and tuned with a wideband on a dyno should put the hurts on a Z06 on the drag stip.

Guest ON3GO

my dad paid 47K for a brand new Z06.

sure its a great car, i love it..

but will my dad race me in the green Z when its running... sure he will.. will he beat me... NOPE.

mike

Guest bastaad525

You know, I dunno if it's just because I'm a pretty big guy or what, but I got to sit in a Z06 the other day, and to me, it was not the most comfortable car. I didn't get to drive it, and i'm sure ride quality is probably nicer than most quick early Z's, but I did feel kinda cramped in the Vette, and while the seat felt supportive, it also felt way too slippery, and the seatbelt receptacle was poking me in the hip pretty bad. I felt very low in that car (and I"m 6'3"....) I had other little nitpicks but I'll sum it up by saying... that as much as I love the way they look, the body, and that I KNOW they have fantastic performance, after all that, I was really rather let down by the interior once I sat in it, and was actually really rather surprised. I wouldn't have said it had a "super nice interior". Matter of fact, one of the few gripes you read about the Vette all the time is that the interior really isn't up to snuff with the rest of the car. Would I say a Z is 'better'? No... but... I feel very comfortable in my tiny little japanese 240... oddly, again given my size, but so far the longest I've ever sat in it was for about a two hour drive. But I was IMMEDIATELY uncomfortable in the Z06. Performance wise, lots of guys here have proven it doesn't really take much to get the same levels of performance as a stock Z06... but how many are left stock?

Well, if someone offered a straight trade or anything, Z06 for my Z, even if the cash value gap was not a factor, I'd trade, hell yeah :) But don't make driving a Z06 sound all smooth and cushy like riding in a Benz or something because it ain't even close.

Last Friday I lost to a Z06 in a qualifying run. Time-wise that is, he redlighted with a -0.091 to my 0.090 reaction time. Usually I'll beat a stock Z06 up here at 5800', as they'll only pull a mid-13. This one ran a 12.5@112 to my 12.9@110, so he was a couple lengths ahead and pulling at the traps.

Damn - thought I was gonna put the hurt on another!

I ran against a mildly prepared Z06 at Texas Motor Speedway and there was no comparison. He smoked me. Better cornering, much better braking and all the while able to listen to a much better sound system in a generally quieter car. Accelleration was close but I still got passed! :(

I think Phantom has a pretty realistic assessment of the Z06. He has the same basic engine/tranny with less weight and is faster in a straight line, but you've got to really push the Z to the limits to go faster on a track. John's car will do it, I've beaten regular C5s myself, but if a good driver were in the Z06, I think he'd stand a good chance at taking me down on a big track.

The Z06 is a really fast car stock. I'm sure you could make one extremely fast given a little $$$, and I do mean a little $$$. 30 years of technology and suspension refinement is tough to compete with, even with the weight advantage of the Z.

thanks for everything u guys

what i got out of it was that when i put my 1982 turbo 280zx engine into my 1973 240 with a 5 spd from a 77 280z, along with an inercooler(front mount), upgraded t3/t04 turbo, psi at about 12-15, lsd rear end, and 370cc injectors.

my only other ? is how do i put biiger injectors in, i know i have to upgrade the ecu or something but what do i do

:D It's called AADD - Adult Attention Deficit disorder - :D

Guess you never did get it answered, did you?

BTW - I got into it with 3 'Vettes in the last 18 hours - a C-5 that was lots of fun because he wanted to play, a Z06 that was a real quick shot, and a C-4 that was just a power demo. Oh yeah, that isn't the question you were asking, was it. :oops:

thanks for everything u guys

what i got out of it was that when i put my 1982 turbo 280zx engine into my 1973 240 with a 5 spd from a 77 280z' date=' along with an inercooler(front mount), upgraded t3/t04 turbo, psi at about 12-15, lsd rear end, and 370cc injectors.

my only other ? is how do i put biiger injectors in, i know i have to upgrade the ecu or something but what do i do[/quote']

Go searching and reading in the turbo and fuel delivery forums. Your questions have been discussed at length, and you will get lots more information than we could just spell out in a quick response.

This is a little wild but is 650HP do able with a seriously modded L28. I'm talkin as if the L28 is milled out of Aluminum, and twin turboed (T3/T4 turbos). Would that be to much power to drift with?. How nice it would be to blow by a GT3 or Lambo in a 280ZX. Worthy of drooling if you ask me.

Guest ON3GO
This is a little wild but is 650HP do able with a seriously modded L28. I'm talkin as if the L28 is milled out of Aluminum, and twin turboed (T3/T4 turbos). Would that be to much power to drift with?. How nice it would be to blow by a GT3 or Lambo in a 280ZX. Worthy of drooling if you ask me.

if you want to drift it then yes thats to much power if you ask me, and the wrong engine setup for it also.

can i ask why you keep talking about milled a L28 out of Aluminum???

mike

For 650 hp, you'd be better off with an RB or V8. It'll cost you thousands less.