HybridZ

four piston front brake question

I just did the 4x4 upgrade this weekend. Like Trevor says, the spacers are needed between the hub and the rotor hat to align the rotors inside the S12W calipers. Alex's pic shows them pretty clearly.

The stock steel wheels did rub slightly on the innermost cooling fin of the 4x4 caliber. I imagine a thin (may 1/4 inch) spacer between the wheel and the hub would fix that. But 60 seconds with a die grinder on the innermost caliper fin yielded adequate clearance.

Nice, meaty looking brake set but heavy as all get out.

• 4 months later...

I'm going to make the switch to the toyota calipers and vented 300zx rotors, my dilema is whether to use 12-8 or 12W calipers. From this thread and a few others, it appears that the 12-8 have one large and one small piston, while the 12W has both large. That makes me think the fluid requirements are greater for the 12W, hence the recommendation for larger M/C.

I was all set to order the 12-8 as I believe they will be more than adequate for my needs, when I checked availability of pads. It looks like there are a lot of choices for the 12W and very few for the 12-8. That concerns me, especially if there will continue to be performance pads available in a few years for the 12-8.

I currently have the 12-8 non-vented calipers installed with the stock master cylinder on my '73 and have no issues with a long pedal. However I wonder if the 12W might need the 15/16' master cylinder upgrade which adds additional cost. I'm sure it's better, but is it required?

So my question is if anyone has tried the 12W caliper swap, and used their stock M/C with good results? For now, I'm going to leave the drums on the rear, if that matters.

Thanks.

• 3 months later...
:burnout: I have had the S-12 system (on a 280Z hub) on my car with solid rotors. It all bolted right up. We used a 15X7 wheel with zero offset and didn't have any fit problems. I am now using the S12W system with 300ZX vented rotors running a 16X7 rim with a 225x50x16 tire (front wheel drive offset) on it (Had to use a 1 inch spacer on the wheel mounting area because of the front wheel drive spacing it had). Again I was able to bolt it right up. Didn't have to use any flat washers to align the calibers (both makes, S-12 orS12W) to the rotors. We did use a .375 size spacer to mount the rotor to the back of the hub. Thats because we used a 280Z hub on the 240Z spindle. On the 240Z hub you have to use the .50 spacer to fit the rotor to the hub. If you are using a 15" zero offset rim. You may not need a spacer to move the wheel out into the wheel well area for the wheel back spacing. On most front wheel drive rims, you may have to use a spacer to put it out of harms way. Good Luck, Rich.

Now I'm confused about searching. The only search button I see is on the blue line between new post and quick links.

I don't see the magnifying glass.

I don't see search between member list and FAQ.

I don't see a place to select "search all terms" even in the advanced search section.

When I search for "toyota caliper part number" I get 5 results.

What am I missing on how to use the search feature?

Brad

board was running on different version of software 2 years ago when the topic first surfaced. Look at the sticky at the top of the page, and all your questions will be answered. You may also want to look at the FAQ section where jmortensen has posted a write up of the brake info

• 1 month later...

USSBHR... Uh, you're getting the ol', "search before asking dammit", responses here. It's good advice though. So don't take it personally:? We realize you're new to hybridz and may still be learning forum etiquette. So am I, BTW:redface: Just take the beatings with courage and a stiff upper lip. Once you learn the ropes, no one will try to hang you with them:wink:

So anyway NOOB... welcome tho the best dang Z-car forum on the planet. And be sure to search next time, dammit:mrgreen: :icon54:

For a solid rotor with Toyota brake install you can buy the calipers from Napa.

Napa p/n:

442-6648

442-6640

They fit:

79-84 Toyota 4x4 pickup and

84-85 Toyota 4Runner

Use KVR pads for the 84-85 4Runner

You should replace your stock MC with a 79 280zx MC with this set up.

You should replace your stock MC with a 79 280zx MC with this set up.
I've read this many places, but when I ran the stock MC with 4x4 calipers and solid rotors it was just fine. When I did the swap to the vented rotors with the 12W calipers, THEN I needed to do the MC swap. See my post #22 earlier in this thread.

No need to swap the MC if you're staying with the solid rotors and drums in the rear.

Daniel

I have the Toyota 4 x 4 clipers with solid rotors and stock rear drums.

With the stock master cylinder what is your pedal like?

The reason I ask is with the 79 280zx MC braking requires more pedal pressure due to the larger piston, but my car hauls down fast. However, I can not lock the front brakes.

I am planning on going to the MM vented set up soon so I am debating if I should keep the 79 zx MC or go back to the stock MC.

Miles

I have the Toyota 4 x 4 clipers with solid rotors and stock rear drums.

With the stock master cylinder what is your pedal like?

When I had this setup, my pedal wasn't much different than with the stock calipers. I suppose it might have gone down a little more, but nothing significant. I didn't think there was any need to go to a larger MC.

I am planning on going to the MM vented set up soon so I am debating if I should keep the 79 zx MC or go back to the stock MC.
When I switched to the vented discs with the 12W calipers, the pedal went down a lot farther. I found that sometimes my foot would also hit the gas pedal while braking which caused a few "moments" ;) Once I put in the 15/16" MC things were more normal again. Actually, I wish I had a 1" MC, but that's just being picky at this point.

Note: Switching to the larger MC didn't make any difference in my stopping distance that I noticed. It only changed the feel and distance of travel of the pedal.