HybridZ

Photos of my '77 Z

Guest 305240

Pretty clean floor? Whazzap wid dat? Seriously, niceeeee!!! Question. Is there room enough for a strut bar between the dist and air filter?

This is my "parking garage", the building garage is definately not this clean.

If you used a smaller diameter air cleaner it would be possible to put a bar in.

I prowled around the garage today and found a set of motor mounts that I made for the Z project. If my camera and modem will keep working I'll try to get up pic of them on the forum.

My Son and I went to the junkyard yesterday and picked up a 5.0 HO motor out of a 89 Lincoln LSC. We've been working on it today trying to get it cranked. It looks good inside, I did a Leak down test on it and the cylinders ranged from 70 to 80 lb. pressure. Trying to find a duraspark dist. to change it over to Carb. I've got several but the shaft on the dist. I took out is longer. Already got the intake on getting ready to go down and put the Carb. on it.

Adios Amigos,

Guest 305240

Mine is getting closer also. I measured a dozen times, then I mocked up the mounts out of wood and duck tape. Then I had the steel cut. I tacked them together and a friend of mine welded them up. I thought I was set to go. Wrong. It sets the motor about an inch too high. God, I think I need trifocals now. I set it up again with plan B for the mounts. I have to say, it sure does look sweet setting in there. I have room for everything. No cutting or modding of the steering, or ehaust. I do have to put a remote filter on it tho. I'm also going to use an oil cooler. This time, I'll make sure it works and fits ok before I take the pics.

305240, Yea I know what you mean. Sometimes I think that this is Aversion therapy. It's great when it all comes together tho.

You might want to check with Summit, they have an oil filter adapter that turns the filter 90 degrees that I would have used if it had been available when I built mine. Think it's around 50 bucks.

Adios Amigos,

Guest 305240

Thanks for the info. I kind of like the remote oil filter hooked up with an cooler. Makes it look bad a$$. I took my turbo to Mount Shasta last weekend. Cool ride down, hot ride back. Of course my AC doesn't work properly. I was running on the hotter side of normal on the way back. Eng temp as well as oil temp. So...My oil cooler will be in front of the rad along with the tranny cooler and AC condenser. I do believe a set of dual fans are in order. Possible a large one in front of the whole mess too? Btw, I'm going to be using Summit's aluminium rad. I'm getting way to old for braving this heat. I want max extreme cold AC!!!

Just picked up a ZX rear disc brake set up with new adapters for 130 bux. Gotta love fellow club members!

10-4 on the oil cooler, it couldn't hurt. Let me know how the Summit alum. radiator works out. I have an old Junkyard rad. on mine and have never hooked up the AC as I knew it would be marginal.

Where did you get the ZX rear disc kit at? I have the plans for making the brackets but have never gotten "around to" making them. I don't think I'd warm up the bridgeport for $130.00.

Adios Amigos,

Guest 305240

I got the whole pakage for 130. rotors, calipers, pads and adapters. The adapters are from nissan. part # 44155-04S10. I can't remember what my buddy said he paid for them, but you might want to give a nissan dealer a call.

Guest 305240

Wow Cap. I can only dream. I'm living in a land locked place and can't build anything perminate. As silly as it sounds, it's in the contract with the easment. This was done over 40 years ago. So...I'm limited to the car shelter things. Btw, you have some really nice cars. One of these days I'll dig out my old street rod pics and post them.

I got the mounts ready to tack up and trial fit again. This time the holes are drilled and bolted to the block mounting pad and the front Z mount. I used 1" spacer blocks between the two. I'll probably end up using Al's mounts tho. Depending on how much his sets up off the crossmember. I've got about 1/4" clearance between the crossmember and front sump. I can get to the oil drain plug also. These look good.

• 1 year later...

The first pics show the positioning of the engine in the Z. When I re-do the mounts I'm going to move the engine back about an inch or two and down a little. My buddy that did his said that the T-5 shifter fit into the hole in the console almost perfectly by doing this.

He made up a quadrant and mounted it to the firewall where the clutch master cylinder was. Then used the stock clutch cable instead of a hydraulic clutch. I'm going to try to get together with him as soon as I get finished taking my Father for his Radiation treatments. Should be a couple weeks if he doesn't have any more complications from his surgery.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Turbo_Lag

wow....thats a really nice Z man im just 15 so i dont know that much ecspecialy just by looking at the engine, and i didnt bother to read a whole lot so forgive me if you've already said this but, what engine is it and how much are you pulling?

Guest iskone

Ahh man..... Come on! :twak:

Don't be lazy if you want to learn about cars get prepared to start your automotive libary. Read everything you can even if your a Ford guy read about Chevys and vis versa

See the subject in the post right before yours!? 5.0 Z CAR ENGINE SWAP

Isk

Guest Turbo_Lag

Oh...man...i feel like :icon52: <===that...lol sorry man super lazienes on my part. I'm not so much for a paticular engine or a paticular car even. I like the Z and i love V8 swaps, they rock. Like for instance i know a guy that has like a 302 or something swapped into a Mazda RX-7 Ifini and it is AWESOME. Like i said I'm not a super car genious or anything but im ont the verge- I hope! LOL

Josh

• 3 years later...

Update: My Father finally passed away, My buddy with the cable clutch plans moved to Texas and I still haven't gotten the 5 speed in the Z. I bought a 1927 Model T coupe and put the LSC HO engine and T5 in it. Got it hooked up today and cranked it up. Had to use a Wilwood 260-1333 slave cylinder to get enough travel to disengage the clutch. It has 1 3/8" pull where most of the others only have 1". Maybe if I live long enough I'll get it in this Summer. I have another HO engine and 5 speed sitting in the middle of the garage ready to go..

Sorry to hear of your fathers passing. I have been lurking here for a while and this is my first post. I am considering building a SBF Z in the future. Don't have the car yet. I need to sell off my Porsche 928 to fund the project. getting rid of a 928 for a z sounds crazy doesn't it? I have wanted a 928 since I was 18 ( 48 now ) and I got my first one about 5 years ago. On my second one now. They are great cars, but the love affair is over for me and I'm ready for something else. This is a very informative forum. Glad I found it.

I installed a cable type clutch in my z using the quadrant and firewall adjuster for a fox body mustang. I dont have any good pictures right now but it works good. Only thing was it took several tries at getting the quadrant mounted where the pull was straight and worked good. I'll be honest, I had a race car builder friend of mine help with this. I dont think I could of got it figured out without his help.

ed