HybridZ

Downsides to a sunroof?

Guest Aaron

I think few (if any) of them fit well enough to look "right". That is also many people's problem with them.

I have a factory sunroof in my truck and I love it. Biggest down side is that it is hotter and harder to cool in the summer.

I had one installed into a 2+2 ZX once and it was great for awhile I never noticed any loss of body strength. What did eventually happen was it started to leak and was hotter than H*ll sitting under it during the summer. The glass just fries you during the day. It was enjoyable during the spring and fall to take it out and drive.

I have a 80 280ZX with a dealer installed sunroof. Replced the headliner last year and during the winter rainy season it started to leak. I didn't notice this until it had ruined the new liner because I hardly ever drive it anymore :flamedevil: New seals are $$$$ and hard to find because none of the places that installed them in the 80's are around anymore. Also the latching replacement can be a pain to make or get. Think twice before buying an older car with one.

LARRY

the problem with having a sunroof along all the leak problems and glaring sun is that theh y do infact weaken the stength of the unit body. diagonal strength across the superstructure (everything above the roll center) is the main thing to stop torsional flex. a sunroof removes about 70% of the metal that provides that strength. in other words, the a,b and c pillars of you car work like the coresponding parts of a rollcage, and the roof is like the halo bar that ties it all togather.

pluss the damn metal frame from my sunroof is always a PITA when I wear my helmet in the car. I have to realy slouch down :D

• 1 year later...

Every item that is designed to be outside has to be engineered with a way for the water to "roll" off and down from the top. If you go on top of your house and make a depression that does not leak but lets water puddle up; believe me, it will leak sooner or later. I have had brand new special ordered cars that had factory sunroofs that leaked the first week and could never be repaired. The little word "leak" even sounds like it is not a big deal. Believe me, when a sunroof leaks all over your car and cannot be fixed, it is a very big deal. Unless, of course, you just drive this car as a hobby on sunny days. I am driving an STS I got for a steal and I am just waiting for the damn sunroof to start leaking, and off it goes to another sucker.