HybridZ

How can we stop HybridZ from turning into another Zcar.com ?

Forrest

Guest plainswolf

I must have at least a third of the entire Ford forum saved in notepad and wordpad files. Not to mention more files and pics from the chassis and other forums as well, And each different forum has it's own folder loaded with reference pics. :D

This place is a GOLDMINE of information to save!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you don't like same old questions' date=' don't read it. It gives me something to do, and its what keeps this site going..

When I read through HybridZ posts, it gets me thinking on things I would never have searched for before.... so its the reason I like repeat posts. If it bothers ya'll that much, why don't the Admins just delete irrelavent topics and send the searcher to a usable link?[/quote']

I wish we had AI that could do that, but I would never expect people to. Please have a little consideration.

If you have questions about a previous thread - why not post in that one? There is nothing stopping you from reading old posts. I do it all the time.

As for your comment about "just not reading it" - if the board becomes filled with things people don't want to read - what do they do? Spend twice as much time as they used to, filtering out junk? No. They leave, and stop contributing.

I really don't want to see that happen. That is the reason I posted. It was not because of my personal opinions as much as what I have heard from many other people that I respect, who come here. When they say that this site is getting too much like Zcar.com, that concerns me a lot. This is currently the best thing we have going, and I don't want to see it go down the drain.

And no offense, but rehashing tired issues that have no room for further exploration is NOT what keeps this site going.

I hope you can see that I'm not trying to "attack" anyone, I am asking for your help.

Thanks,

-Forrest

I'm confident in the following statement...

The Admin Staff agrees with Forrest by and large on this one... The biggest complaint new members coming from other sites had ABOUT THOSE sites was the constant NEWBEE posts. No one likes seeing the 84th thread started on "Gee Guys, just got a Z and what motor will fit?" Or a recent favorite... "All you SR20 Guys, How'd you do it?" :roll:

Come on guys, USE the FRIGGIN' Search feature, R-E-A-D, as it IS FUNDAMENTAL, and it HELPS US HELP YOU! :shock:

On top of that, NOTHING is more frustrating than spoonfeeding someone who is to FRIGGIN' lazy to put forth the effort. :twisted:

Tough Love baby! TOUGH LOVE! :shock:

Mike :lol:

"I'm Sorry" isn't a word I use often! :lol:

So, back to the topic of HELPING keep HybridZ as it was intended... One thing I would recommend EVERY new member do is find out WHY HybridZ came to be in the first place. It is well documented. I think that would help a lot of folks understand our lack of patience when dealing with some of this kinda crap... And it would also give some guidelines on what we expect from our members. I can't tell you how many times people we've had to ban, warn privately, or publicly about conduct, will argue that they didn't know what they were doing was wrong.

I always assume I'm going to meet each and every one of you face to face someday, and depending on your conduct on the site, that tells me if I'd welcome you into my home, or not. Think about that for a second. That, to me says it all. I've had probably over 100 members from all over the coutry stop through here at one time or another since 1999, wanting to see the cars, the control arms, meet me and shake my hand, and I'd like to think it is due in large part to the no nonsense way I approach the board and helping to run it. One thing is for sure, there are no surprises in dealing with me... Ya get what ya get! :lol:

So if you are 15 or 85 years old, it doesn't matter. Conduct yourself as if this place WERE like gold. I've had several people say "Man, I need access to the site, You can't ban me, it will hault progress on the project". Think about THAT for a minute. And the next time you want to post some emotional temper tantrum, log off and walk away. DON'T post. If you MUST blast someone for something, do it in private, take it offline, but don't do it in public. It will draw the negative kinds of attention we hate to give (Well, others hate to give... I'm cold hearted, or atleast I've been accused by one or two of that! :lol: ).

Read the Mission Statement... READ EACH Stickie... READ Everything Site specific as it guides you through the murky waters of HybridZ conduct. It IS THAT SIMPLE.

And as always, Have fun! :D

Mike 8)

• 3 weeks later...

Funny, You guys asked how we keep this site from becoming "Like XXX Site!" and yet a number of folks came out of the woodwork in defense of another young kid who was repeatedly getting more and more argumentative on a NUMBER of subject. This afternoon this individual posted a flame-fest, attacking the "Elders" of this site...

I'm gonna make myself CRYSTAL clear, so I'd like those who consider themselves part of the family to take note, and those who take issue with how this site is run to TAKE NOTE...

We're NOT, N-O-T gonna let this site go the way of every other garbage, waste land on the internet... If that bothers you, then you may want to consider yourself a target. I am NOT gonna allow the conduct promoted elsewhere to permiate our website and I want ANYONE who feels something is out of line, off color, or inappropriate to funnel all posts to me or any of the admins and moderators...

This is my house, and I consider those who do NOT have intentions of living up to OUR mission statement to be trespassing... If this is you, Consider notice served and your days here numbered.

Mike Kelly

Mike, I totally agree with you, but I'm sorry to say that your warning will only be effective for a little while and then fade away. THEN you'll have to do it all over again!

Yes, I'm guilty of bad mouthing others on this site, namely ZCCA. We all do it one time or another. We also had the issue of inappropriate language and content too. "Kids today are pussies" for example is a new topic.

FAQs are good, stickies are good, the search function...well it hasn't always worked for me either. A lot of the stuff has just disappeared. But I'm sick of seeing "what engine will fit", "how do I mount my gauges", "what wheels will fit", etc.

I think it's time to re-visit a topic we had way back when HZ was only like 40 members strong. Membership fees. Yes, I believe it has come to that...pay up or get deleted into cyberspace.

Owen

I have no issue with this AT ALL. It would help fund the maintenance of the site. It would also weed out those who don't want to contribute, and only want to detract from the usefulness of the site...

I can tell all of you that there is a new era coming to hybridZ and a ZERO tolerance rule is in the making...

...And to those who have heartburn with this, you can always buy the hardware, get the service established and host your own site... But you're not gonna ruin ours...

More to come!

Mike :D

I agree with what Forrest and Mike say 100%. This site is my home on the web. I am here several times a day to READ what is new. I try only to post when I think have something to contribute. Because I feel like this place is home, I don't want the 'company' that visits here to deteriorate any further.

I like hanging out with and learning from folks here. It would be a major shame to see this place go the way of some of the other sites I refuse to spend any time on now.

I support making membership paid. I wouldn't want it to be so costly that our younger or less affluent members wouldn't have a place to come and learn and contribute. I'd hate to see some folks go away becuase of costs, but some sacrifices have to be made in an effort to protect the integrity of the site.

It would be nice if there were 'contributing' and 'non-contributing' memberships. Contributing members would have the ability to post. Non-contributing members would only have the ability to ready content at a lower cost.

These thoughts are just off the top of my head and haven't been completely thought through, but they may be worth a discussion.

-Marc

The only downside to "paid membership" is that membbers then have a sense of entitlement, and banning paid members, and/or censoring members will be more tricky.....

I think this is very true. It seems to me that the mods should just bring down the hammer quicker and harder. No changes needed. It's more than apparent that the mods are already watching things closely, they are just seemingly reluctant to make a big stink about it when someone posts something that is "inappropriate". I know that it's subjective, but it's up to YOU GUYS, not up to us lowly members to determine what's OK and what isn't.

As far as $$$ goes, I've already donated and was happy to do so. Obviously I feel that this place has some value to me personally (LOTS actually) but I think I'd be less happy about sending off that check if I my hand were forced.

Back to the search thing--The more I think about it the more I think that maybe sims76 had a point. If you didn't let people post for a period of a month or something, they'd probably get bored/frustrated enough that they would search.

Yah, I agree with the blocking posts for a period of time.. it would cut down on the people that just sign on here to post a for sale add, or ask a silly question right off the hop. And I find most folks will just dissapear if they don't want to search, and find another web site to frequent. Personally, if I had signed on here and wasn't alowed to post for a short period of time, I would wait it out. Look around, and if need be, try to find other ways to get in touch with members if I had a Q I needed answered.. but thats just me..

Hell.. I signed on here way back when cause I had an old Z and figured it was probly the only site related to my car! :lol: I forgot about it for a few years till I picked up my Z last year, and by chance found the site again. (I posted a page on cardomain, someone here saw it, and told me about the site.. I though.. HEY! I remember signing up for that 3 years ago! :lol::oops: )

Anyway, I love this site, and also have a HUGE folder on my computer of saved text info that helped me along the way with my Z. I am guilty of not searching sometimes, I admit it.. but I try not to ask stupid questions that could be answered by comon sence or a simple thought process.. And if I answer a post with incorect/conflicting info, I will apologise.. but getting 'flamed' for something really bugs me.. Im the kind of person to try to help out if I can.. and getting insulted for it just isn't cool. I say bring down the hammer! And seing as I'm back to working steady and am 'financially back on my feet' so to speak, I plan on making a site donation soon.. I just hope it isn't bacause I HAVE to to be allowed to keep coming here...

Guest 2slo4u

I'm new to this site and have already learned a few things that would have taken months or years to learn otherwise. I appreciate all of the positive responses from some of the members and TRY to ignore negatives from others. If I ever get out of line, let me know. I'll still gladly pay to fund this great site, even if I have to put my nose in the corner every now and then!

Brian

81zxturbo(Hybrid, thanks to everyone that helped, and those who tried )

95slobaru

I say no to membership dues. I agree with the reasons already given for not having them (people will feel entitled, how to handle banned, paid members, etc.) plus I think people who can afford to pay can be troublemakers as well. I could name a few examples, but won't.

The hammer will continue to come down from me. I have been working 75-80 hours a week for the last 3 months, so I haven't been on much, nor before that time. But I WILL drop the hammer, and it seems to get quicker as I can see that not doing so quickly hurts the rest of the members.

Please PLEASE email the admins if you feel someone is out of line. We may not be on when someone goes off the rules, so let us know!

I really like the "HybridZ is a closed party at my house" metaphor. IF you wouldn't say something to someones face at the governor's house party, don't say it here. The governor's bouncers are getting less and less tolerant of bad manners.

OK, how about different levels of entitlement. As Mike said a long while ago, "this is not a democracy". Certain members will have more privleges, decide who stays or goes, etc etc. Hell, I may even get kicked off this site one day, but I'm not gonna die from it!

So, top level members have the most control.

Next level down, act as moderators.

Next next level down are regulars who are allowed to post.

(maybe set a post limit per day?)

Lowest level can only read and search.

We can have a message for the lowest two levels saying "you've reached your post limit or you do not have posting privleges yet. If you really need help, contact a moderator to get your question posted to the site"

I know this will probably take more software programming, etc. so remember it's only a suggestion. It's archaic and it's draconian, but we need to cleanse the site right?

How the heck do you spell privleges?? :?::?::?:

Owen

Our moderators here do a great job, I think the current system of letting the moderators know if someone is out of line is just fine. Compared to other forums HybridZ is a pretty tight ship.

How the heck do you spell privleges?? :?::?::?:

Owen

priv i lege

:wink: