HybridZ

This 240Z was stored in a chicken coop since 1987

LS1240Z

Are you on crack!? That's more than 3x the cost of the car when it was new! A $10k Z is a rather valuable car.

http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/bu2/inflateCPI.html

I tried this calculator at a starting price of $3000, I think the Z might have cost more like $3500 in '70. 2004 cost equivalent for $3000: $14,226. So the value of the Z hasn't kept up with inflation.

The May 2004 issue of Grasroots Motorsports has a Z article that lists the 2004 price of a 240Z at $17,287.50 (new was $3526).

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bastaad525

Heck' date=' even Bastaad agrees: "guaranteed you will find someone selling a done or very-close-to-done V8 swap Z, usually in the $3000-5000 range"

[/quote']

heeeeey... what am I notorious for being disagreeable now or what? :P:D

Well it is true that I have seen I'd say around ten 70-90% done V8 converted 240, 260, 280z's and a few 280zx's as well, selling in the SoCal area all for less than $5000. A few of them were touted as rust free, and a few of them had a few spots. Most of them were carbed and automatic tranny's. Most common thing that was needed amongst them was paint, many were in primer, many had already had body work done on them. A few also needed interior bits as well. Almost all of them had a LOT of $$$ worth of suspension, brake, and engine upgrade mods, as well as other stuff like roll cages being not uncommon. I take note of every single one of them, as I have to kick myself when I see them going for so cheap, and remind myself I could have had a really quick Z so easily, for way less time and money than I've spent on my turbo conversion (turbo coverted Z's, on the other hand, you don't seem to see for sale very often.). I'd say not more than one month goes by at a time w/o one of these killer deals popping up here.

The one thing I personally have a hard time with is seeing that car go for $7000. I mean it is a NICE car... but I dunno... just taking into consideration the many many early Z's I've seen bought and sold, that price doesn't seem reasonable to ME... then again... there's always somebody out there who will pay the high prices for old/rare/collectible/classic cars. Personally I don't think ANY stock 240z, save the first year ones, is worth more than maybe $5000. Or at least, I'd never pay more than that. Maybe if it had super super low original miles and literally looked brand new inside and out then maybe. But that's just me. I think guys like us might all feel similiar because we know what we can buy with that same $5000 :D:twisted:

If he can get $7000, then selling it is the ONLY way to go, buy a near done conversion for maybe $3500-4500, and use the remaining cash to take care of finishing whatever the previous owner didn't.

Guest bastaad525
Hey khashabi1 ' date=' send the haters this email message

(clock ticking sound) " hack,hack, hack,hack" times is ticking! bid on this or [b']HACK![/b] :D:D:D a V-8 is born!

Do what you want to do, it's YOUR car. :2thumbs:

ROFLMAO

I agree 100%. You know... the :twisted: side of me almost hopes you dont get what you're asking for it, and do end up dropping a V8 in it, just to piss all the hate-mail-dropping-a**holes off!!! People need to mind their own business!! Man I would send such a nasty email to anyone emailing me some stupid crap like that... telling you what to do with YOUR property! Like you said.. if they are bothered so much, then let them buy it... put up or shut up! The nerve of some people.

If you end up keeping it and doing the swap, document everything with pics, and post a nice before-and-after over at zcar.com or wherever. Bastards... choke on that.

Know what.. I changed sides. Chop into it.

I was thinking about it... Even a $10' date='000 Z really isn't that vaulable of a car. Thats only a new Kia.

You got a great deal, its a damn solid car.... I think you should cut into it and make it a HybridZ![/quote']

Are you on crack!? That's more than 3x the cost of the car when it was new! A $10k Z is a rather valuable car.

Are you on crack!?! Ever hear of inflation? :roll:

It's a car, not a house. Cars DEPRECIATE in value unlike realestate which APPRECIATES in value (there are certain exceptions of course, classics/antiques). Go buy a new car and try and sell it a few years later for more than you paid...you should be able to due to inflation right? NOT!! :evil:

It's a car, not a house. Cars DEPRECIATE in value unlike realestate which APPRECIATES in value (there are certain exceptions of course, classics/antiques). Go buy a new car and try and sell it a few years later for more than you paid...you should be able to due to inflation right? NOT!!

What is your POINT? The Z only depreciated 60% in 30 years, so we shouldn't take a sawzall to one and flare it? We shouldn't make it faster because of the magic 60% depreciation number?

You obviously don't approve of what khashabi1 is doing. I've got 2 ideas for you:

1. Don't put a V8 in your Z. Should be easy enough.

2. Don't watch this thread. Also easy enough.

You aren't making any sense. You don't like it. We get that. It's not your choice. It's not your car. You were given an opportunity to buy and "save" it. You didn't take it. Get over it.

It's a car, not a house. Cars DEPRECIATE in value unlike realestate which APPRECIATES in value (there are certain exceptions of course, classics/antiques). Go buy a new car and try and sell it a few years later for more than you paid...you should be able to due to inflation right? NOT!!

What is your POINT? The Z only depreciated 60% in 30 years, so we shouldn't take a sawzall to one and flare it? We shouldn't make it faster because of the magic 60% depreciation number?

You obviously don't approve of what khashabi1 is doing. I've got 2 ideas for you:

1. Don't put a V8 in your Z. Should be easy enough.

2. Don't watch this thread. Also easy enough.

You aren't making any sense. You don't like it. We get that. It's not your choice. It's not your car. You were given an opportunity to buy and "save" it. You didn't take it. Get over it.

You've obviouslly not read all my posts so get off it. Go back and read them then rethink your response.

It's a free country, Right? uh wait I think I'm in the wrong forum...

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Remember what I said at the beginning:

GO FISHING!

If you get what you want, you are ahead, and start the search anew.

Apparently while I was away it didn't meet reserve, but went to a decent $5K.

I personally would not have sold the car for $5K, and would proceed with the conversion. 7K or above, it would have been the minimum I would have taken for a sale.

It is, after all, only a 73.... :D

I just found this thread - really weird way too. I was looking at the http referrals to this site, and saw a few came in from zcar.com. That's always interesting ;), so I went to see what was up.

Glad you guys finally calmed down about the purist thing.

One thing you guys might NOT have considered is that there is an incredibly difficult-to-measure value in BUILDING a car for yourself. I know a bit about this, since I built mine, all but body/paint. I also know of the depression that dealing with a rusty hulk can bring on. I'm not kidding you - depression. Temporary maybe, but depression.

As I was bringing my rusty Z back to life, I had to replace alot of rust that doesn't have shiny blue paint on it now - you know the floors, firewall, inner rockers, bottom of the toolboxes, etc., etc., etc. Dealing with all that rust was NO FUN.

The thought of taking that beautiful Z and not having to deal with rust or bodywork is VERY non-depressing to me ;)!!!!

Yes, that's a rare find, and I'd have some problems getting over modifying it, even though it is a 73. I really do understand that feeling! But I can also see that it would be a real pleasure to just have to do mechanical work on that Z to end up with a really sweet ride. (I'd DEFINITELY have to paint it another color though!)

BTW, why is this in the L6 forum?

Tony...I had the same thought.The reserve was set at 7K.The last bidder was at $5500.It was decent but not enough for me to part with.If it went for 7K I would have sold it.I have looked at tons of 240's in the past 2

months and nothing comes close to this one.I'M BUILDING IT!!!

pparaska was right about the rust....I dont want to deal with it.The wires are perfect and uncut unlike most Datsuns.I am having a cage put in next week and to the rotisery right after that for Linex.After I am done with that,it will be going for body and paint.Soon enough it will be a viper stomper :D .I will be documenting all of the build.

Remember what I said at the beginning:

GO FISHING!

If you get what you want' date=' you are ahead, and start the search anew.

Apparently while I was away it didn't meet reserve, but went to a decent $5K.

I personally would not have sold the car for $5K, and would proceed with the conversion. 7K or above, it would have been the minimum I would have taken for a sale.

It is, after all, only a 73.... :D[/quote']

.I'M BUILDING IT!!!

Pleased to see you have made a decsion - after all your car, money, time and love....err effort. I once owned HS30 00016 (RHD 00016 and it appears that Datsun/Nissan did run the same s/numbers in the beginning) and it was flared, sunroof, rusty etc result sold for a few $$ more than I paid for her. She has then shipped from NZ to Australia I believe it is still waiting the major rebuild by the owner I sold her to.

I believe if you rebuilding a Hybrid-Z, racecar or just restoring a Z you will want to start with the cleanest body you can get. So good on you for the excellent find and good luck with the build.

PS Has any one put an Audi 4.2l V8 into a Zed :?::D Not sure if it would fit :?:

Guest bastaad525

Let the cries of the angry heartbroken purists be heard the world over :twisted:

Cant wait to see the finished project, wish ya much good luck dude!

Yeh...your right.It's easier to work with a car that has no body damage and lots of rust.I already pulled the motor and tranny and the car is getting a roll cage as we speak...NO TURNING BACK NOW :twisted:

I will be documenting everythink with this build,Step by step....I will be putting the car on a rotisery when I get it back and modifying a few things with my new plasma toy I just got :flamedevil:

.I'M BUILDING IT!!!

Pleased to see you have made a decsion - after all your car' date=' money, time and love....err effort. I once owned HS30 00016 (RHD 00016 and it appears that Datsun/Nissan did run the same s/numbers in the beginning) and it was flared, sunroof, rusty etc result sold for a few $$ more than I paid for her. She has then shipped from NZ to Australia I believe it is still waiting the major rebuild by the owner I sold her to.

I believe if you rebuilding a Hybrid-Z, racecar or just restoring a Z you will want to start with the cleanest body you can get. So good on you for the excellent find and good luck with the build.

PS Has any one put an Audi 4.2l V8 into a Zed :?::D Not sure if it would fit :?:[/quote']

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
ROFLMAO!!!!! Anyone want to place bets for how long the thread would even last????

Seriously though, I wouldn't stress the SBC swap thing... it's a '73, they aren't even 'truely' considered the real classics... only the original first year 240's are last time I checked. By real classics I mean as in, collectable and where numbers matching actually makes a difference. On the flipside, that could/would probably change at some point in the not-to-distant future. In the end it's your car, do what you want to make it as enjoyable as can be... you've really lucked out with a great find and a great price there. As for value... well if you were to try to sell it here or zcar.com or whatever, I dont think it would be worth any more if you just restored it as stock, than if you dropped a V-8 in it. Again... if it were a first year model then this would be different... all original '70 Z's get pretty up there in price.

When we took our "numbers matching" engine out of our 73 I tossed it. I could care less if its a numbers matching car. Alot of people thought I was crazy and im like who the hell cares, I sure dont.

Tear those 240z's apart and V8 em. Collector #'s matching car.. baaaa its only a car.