HybridZ

This 240Z was stored in a chicken coop since 1987

LS1240Z

CLEAN IT AND SELL IT!

JeffP had a car in nice shape like that, and it sold for $7K to a buyer on E-Bay in norway!

I'm sure you could pick up a NICE donor vehicle forthat, and have plenty of money left over for some moer LS1 goodies when you have that money in your pocket!

I would not hybridize it, would SELL it, make a buttload of money, and then buy something that perhaps was already formerly molested for a swap. Chances are you will be no worse off for it, and you pocketbook will be in much better shape.

This has absolutely nothing to do with "preserving" a 240...this is totally economics. This is money left in your lap, and to not take advantage of it, and buy another for around $3500 (leaving the remaining $3500 for that Vortech Supercharger kit for the LS1) would be a REAL sin!

And on the subject of Petaluma...

Dude, you SUCK! :lol:

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

then again, what's your plan for those steel wheels? i got money for ya when I return form Taiwan. I need a set of early wheels for the Fairlady I'm restoring---won't have the right datecodes, but they will "look" close enough.

When was the last time anyone here saw factory trim rings and center caps on steel wheels with 6.45-14 Bias Ply tires? Talk about Skinny Tires...

And yeah, Bias Plies sound SOOOOO much better than radials when you do a "spite burnout" :D

And I couldn't resist: it's at CarTalk at ZC.C. This find is just to good. One of the hoaxbusters kind of stories.

Almost like something I run into.

Oh, and did I say "You SUCK" yet? :lol:

I though I would add my story I had been looking for 8 months and I even tried to buy back my old car from khashabi1 (John). Then I responded to an add in the getto of Oakland. The owner told me he had 2 orange 240z for sale. I parked and was affraid my car was going to get stolen. Ever car in the hood, new or old was dented up. I saw one of cars on the street it was horribly dented, it made me want to leave, but I rang the bell. The ower started yelling at me. He thought I was the previous guy who looked at the car. He took me to a back garage where I found this car.

http://hybridz.org/nuke/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=32659&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=140

It was a 918 orange 240z. The dash even has no cracks! This car was sheltered. This was straight nice and only had hardly any rust. This was the donor I was looking for. We agreed on $2300. He said I could have bof'em for the same price. But I had no need of the other one. So drove this car with my girlfriend following me. I then noticed the car was very much out of gas because I think he siphoned the gas out. I only need to drive 4 miles to the gas startion. This would have been fine except I have to go over a hill to reach 580 the freeway home. So I got a run at the hill and made it over to gas station. I fill filled and left!

Great story! I wouldn't feel bad about putting an LS1 in that car. The 73's had the early emissions stuff and the flat top SU carbs. The power was way down that year and so I would want to modify the engine anyway. I found an automatic '73 that had been stored for years in a parking lot under an apartment building with no rust and matching numbers engine also, for $850. Someone had gotten fed up with the flat top SU's and swapped in the earlier round tops. That engine still runs really well with +120k and I am having fun driving it while I build my SBC. I just finished replacing all the bushings, springs and shocks, and it drives great. You'll have a lot of fun with that car. Starting with a rust free 240z is a real blessing.

Dave

It's your damn car, do whatever you want to it. These cars aren't worth enough to justify getting a stick up your butt about modifying one. If anything you'd be driving the price up.

The only car that I wouldn't modify would be a car that ALREADY has it's own history, like taking the Bob Sharp car and putting a 350 in it, or doing an RB swap in the #46, and even there, if it's your car it's still up to you...

I posted a link to this site on the classiczcar.com and alot of guys were not happy with me...I dont want to start drama,just thought I would share the story with them.

I dare you to go over to 240z.com or that other board and post this. Then come back here and post a linkto it so we can all sit back and enjoy :>

I think it will be hilarious. :D

I took the interior out of the car cause it was just not my color.I figures I would ebay it.When I was cleaning out the car when Mike (mas280) came over and couldnt believe I removed the interior.He's trying to convince me to sell it to someone who wants to restore it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2486216197&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT

WOW thats awesome! So whats the plans for the body/interior? Leave it the same colors or change them?

VERY NICE FIND! I hope I get that lucky when I go looking for a 240Z to do a V8 swap to! :D

Guy

normal_new%20Pictures%20244.jpg

Your right,I know.It make sense.I have been getting tons of emails and even hate mail because I want to drop a LS1 in it. :?:

I am sooooo confused on what to do.I'm not sure if I should ebay the car like it is or with the interior.I like the car because it's a good foundation for me to start with,but the problem is that it's to good......to good to hack into.I want to put a full cage in it and cut and weld a whole lot of stuff and even put the car on a rotisserie.It a pretty tough decision and not sure what to do at this point.I have been still lookin for another 240 in the meantime

I'm not sure what I would be able to get for it. I took all the interior out and not sure if it was a mistake.I think i might have screwed up according to some guys..... :emo: . just cant decide...John

CLEAN IT AND SELL IT!

JeffP had a car in nice shape like that' date=' and it sold for $7K to a buyer on E-Bay in norway!

I'm sure you could pick up a NICE donor vehicle forthat, and have plenty of money left over for some moer LS1 goodies when you have that money in your pocket!

I would not hybridize it, would SELL it, make a buttload of money, and then buy something that perhaps was already formerly molested for a swap. Chances are you will be no worse off for it, and you pocketbook will be in much better shape.

This has absolutely nothing to do with "preserving" a 240...this is totally economics. This is money left in your lap, and to not take advantage of it, and buy another for around $3500 (leaving the remaining $3500 for that Vortech Supercharger kit for the LS1) would be a REAL sin!

And on the subject of Petaluma...

Dude, you SUCK! :lol:[/quote']

Dude, I don't really care one way or another what you do with the car, but like many people get stuck in a rut, step back ad THINK about your goals.

Now JM was saying it was your car. He's right. But he is also being very closed to what to me is the most obvious choice: PROFIT.

When I see your car, and now seeing the documented photos from the interior, the collector value (STOCK CARBS EVEN!) is VERY high with this vehicle.

Some anal-q-tip up their butt concours guy will spend in my estimation 7K for this car!

Could you USE that $7K to defray the costs of the buildup you plan on doing?

Could you find a NICE SOLID fairly rust free car in SoCal (Or even Nor Cal) from someone who has already started a modification routine and now has to sell for whatever reason?

I think so.

I believe your project while requiring some more time to prep will be FAR better off if you PROFIT from this purchase, and use the proceeds for the buildup of another car you can get that is just as nice, but with a roll cage ALREADY IN IT!

It's not that the car is "too nice to cut up" FAR from it! But the condition it's in will ATTRACT suckers to the light and get you a LOAD of cash in the process.

I would SERIOUSLY post the photos on E-Bay with a reserve of $10 or $14K, and see where the bidding goes. if you get nibbles above $7K, contact the biddres, SELL IT, and reap the rewards of a find like this!

That is what I would do! You amy do something else, but for me, having a $7K return on a $500 investment is just TOO GOOD to walk away from.

You can always say "no" to any offer below what you think is fair. :D

that's an awesome find!! 8) i have an orange '70 240 that i found similarly. that is, stored in a barn for 10 years. good, but not as good as yours and worth every penny of the $600 i paid. tony d is right on in stepping back and thinking about your goals. it's your car now, so do what brings you the most happiness.

again, great find! :D

Where are you going to find another rust free donor that is so clean? Everyone says if you want to put a V8 in a Z, start with a rust free car. The torque it will produce will stress the chassis and a rusty car will not handle it. When I was looking for a Z for my V8 project, I took a nice 72 that is rust free and started from there. I paid alot more then $500 for it too. Everyone told me I was crazy to rip apart such a nice car. I know I am making it better. An LS1 is the kind of power a Z should have been made with. Even Mr. K, when asked what he would do differently if he could change the original Z, said he would have given the Z more power.

That car is so clean it will be easier to do all the stuff you want to it and it hasn't been molested so the stuff like the wiring, fuel lines, guages, suspension pieces are probably in great shape. If you start with a roller or a car that has had many owners and mods, you really don't know the problems it will have. The little stuff will cause more grief and aggravation.

I say build your dream Z from the cleanest base you can find. It will be a nicer Z when you are done and you will be happier.

If you want more money, work a little harder. This is your hobby, not your job.

How much is a dream worth to you?

Guest bastaad525

Okay I think I'm gonna switch sides here and go with the sell-it-for-profit group. If you really can get that much more for it than you paid for it, that would be a great idea. And if you can really sell it for $7000, you could easily hold on to that money, keep your eyes open here at hybridz, and in a very short time you can almost be guaranteed you will find someone selling a done or very-close-to-done V8 swap Z, usually in the $3000-5000 range, which will leave you a few grand to finish and take care of whatever the seller hasn't gotten around to yet. I've seen plenty of examples of rust free Z's with Chevy's in them, carbed and EFI, auto's, 5spd's and 6spd's, go for less than $5000, and most of them needed little more than paint, minor dent fixing, and/or interior bits to really be complete. Almost all I've seen were running, drivable, and currently registered.

And if you keep the car to do a swap with it, figure you're gonna be spending thousands of dollars to do the swap anyways.

I WISH I had done this myself... Before I did my turbo swap I had recieved a few offers on my car for like $3000... I could have taken that, saved up a tad bit more, and bought a V8 Z... instead I took the car and dumped another $4000 to do the turbo swap, and still need to spend maybe a grand more to get the power level I wanted (250rwhp ish) which I most likely would have had that hp easily with a done V8 swap.

And that's just the monetary part... you also need to figure on how much work and time goes into most V8 swaps... if you get $7000 for that car you're just going to be saving all around, and you'll most likely be driving a nice V8 Z WAY sooner as well.

Sell it, stash the cash, and wait.

Guest Aaron

Dude, I gotta go with the sell it crowd here. Any car that is that original is worth a lot of money to the right person. I would list it with Hemmings before I tried ebay. I learned that just a couple months ago. My granddad had a '50 Ford Custom 4 door. The 50 is nowhere near as collectable as the '49 (first year of the car). Has a strait six (not the flathead v8 everyone wants). And is not the 2 door. However the car has original paint, 48000 miles, motor has never been opened, the original wool seats had vinyl covers installed at the dealer, it has tipical rust spots in the front fenders, and a minor dent in the passenger's rear door. It has been stored in his barn and driven a few miles every 3-5 years since the early '70s. My granddad always said he could get $10,000 for it. I thought he was nuts. I guessed maybe $5,000. Since he died, my dad has cleaned the car up, removed the seat covers, painted a few interior trim parts that were rusting badly, fixed the starter, and wheeled the paint. At his first car show (all ford show in Birmingham, AL), he got 2nd place overall (to a frame off restore of a '40 Ford by the original owner's son) and turned down an offer of $20,000.

A friend of mine had a '69 Z number 472. The car was repainted in the original color and had 2 small rust holes, one in the door and one in the floorpan. It had under 60K original miles. When she put it on ebay I listed it here, on the IZCC list, on zcar.com, and at classiczcars.com.

It eventually sold (not on ebay) for $6K.

I don't know if I could have advertised somewhere else, but I was sure that that car would bring 9 or 10 grand.

Maybe JeffP got lucky, but these cars just aren't worth that much IME.