HybridZ

GM V8 Swap 500CI small blck

well subject says it all. been tinkering with the idea of doing a v8 motor swap in my 280 cause my 280 motor goes into the 240 i am getting. Would like an opinion on a motor. Everyone wants to be uniques with their Z so i think this is unique enough. as follows:

Oldsmobile Diesel 350 Block

Gas conversion

Bored out 125 thousandths i think not sure

425 heads??? not sure again

different crank

114 octane gas

Kit says it turns it into a 493 CI small block, pushing out 892 HP at crank, and 765 ftlbs all under 6000 rpm. well like i said thinking bout being original. if anyone is interested let me know or have any other suggestions, i also have a 500CI cadillac EFI motor with 70,000 on it. Thinking bout being unique with this car seeing how it is my Toy. any response would be great.

Thanx

i'd love to sell it man. actually it is a '76 cad sedan de-ville with 69??? miles al original. the interior is in mint condition and the paint is pretty sweet. needs a trans over haul somethin bad though. i have been asking 2k for all of it. i have all the original FI and ac. right now it has a double pumper 850 holley, edelbrock intake biggect comp cam you can buy for it. had it on the dyno when the trans let go was in the neighborhood of 450 rwhp, and 500 ftlb's. if you interested give me a shout.

triple_threat311

Member # 791

posted October 13, 2002 09:40 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Get a Rocket Block

why are they called rocket blocks?

i have a cupple 455 olds motors. i have heard people calling theses rocket motors. i have never run these motors and do not know w whole lot about them. can you hook me up with some info?

i sure can. the kit i refer to is from mondello racing. when i go to work tomorrow i will bring the catalog home.the company that offers the kit is called Mondello. i believe their website is www.mondellotwister.com they are the oldsmobile gurus in my opinion. if their is anything else or if anyone has any other suggestions please let me know.

Thanx

Guest jc280zxt

The Olds Twister motors are awesume to say the least. 2thumbs.gif I built one back about 15 years ago based on his specs and ran it in a 1984 Camaro with NOS. If you are going to run this, they are heavier(Diesel block) and larger in physical size than a sbc. Mine was based on a small block diesel(350) with a 425 crank (special machining) and .128in overbore (.060 over 455). It was a tight fit in the Camaro. Olds also has a big block diesel which would be even larger! Not sure which is used for that kit but probably the BB. These motors have mucho torgue and will tear up alot of equipment if not set up for it (been there, done that! :( ). I had to weld in frame connectors and roll cage for strength.

In short, the olds motor is big, has high torgue, and expensive but is a great motor. This would be one "bad to the bones" Z. cheers.gif If you love a challenge, go for it!

Guest shortyz

haah when i was looking for a caddy i looked at a beat up one with a 500 block in it. the guys like "i went to alberta and it cost me over 300$ in gas"

i laughed. but that thing hauled some sweet ass!! ah the joy of smoke shows in the caddy.

i should have picked it up for the 500 block at the time but it needed new rings :(

Guest JAMIE T

I've had my hand in a Olds Diesel block/ 454 cube motor. Like stated above the motor is wider than a small block chevy. The one I did had a Diesel block, modified 425 crank, splayed 4 bolt main caps, Crower rods made for a Big block chevy, and Arias pistons. The top end was Batten Performance aluminum heads, and a special Edelbrock Victor series intake that is VERY hard to get. The motor was BEAST. We never got any HP numbers, but it beat a 9.80 Camaro on the street. With a poker face and a wad of cash we had guys thinking it was a regular small block Olds at the street races. It was in a mid-late '70's Omega(remember those). Untubbed, with a 4 link and the motor set WAY back, it would do killer wheelstands in the parking lot. That would be after we took some schmucks lunch money.

The Rocket block is a GM Performance Parts Race block with an Olds logo on it. It uses Small block chevy parts, and can be had as a tall deck with raised cam journals to clear stroker cranks. It can make a 500+ cube small block Chevy.

Guest Anonymous

In a few months I will know what a Cad 500 runs like in a 280Z. I didn't know anything about Grumpy, but I've been working on this swap for a little while now. At one time I couldn't make up my mind about whether or not to go with a small Ford or the Cad 500. The 500 won out. The motor is in the car now with only small "problems" I had to use 2 driver side exhaust manifolds because the pass. manifold wouldn't clear the frame. Turned the manifold around backwards on the Pass. side, and I plan to run the exhaust in front of the sump on the pan and into a 2 into1 exhaust. Had to use an Eldorado pan because it has the rear sump. I really belive the front sump pans will work too. The way I'm doing my exhaust works out better w/the rear sump pan. The motor fits like a glove, plenty of room, the Caddy's plugs go in from the top ,so I don't have to worry about fighting to change them. I made mounts out of aluminum plate. Sanderson Header makes a Block-hugger header for the 472/500 Caddy that would work fine in the Z

• 2 months later...

any more info on this swap. Pros cons and performance part sources would be a huge help. Like the idea of big cubes but I dont think the big block swap is for me. Any figures on weight difference. To the one who started this post how is the swap coming along these days would love to hear about it. What tranny can be used in this application??? Thanks guys

Guest 2002sentraSER

idnevno where in reston do yuo live because i don't live that far from you maybe we can hook up next track season and take our cars together and i live in leesburg and my dad lives in reston off of lawyers road and i come visit him about once a month so hey email me back at magicman60@aol.com and maybe we could work something out because hey we have to show the tracks around here that datsun can still kick some a$$ in a major way