HybridZ

'94 starter wiring connections

74.5 347Z

Can anyone who has used a factory ministarter from the late model 5.0 tell me how it is to be hooked up? It appears that it does away with the starter solonid that Ford used before. Does the battery cable hook directly to the starter and does the ignition start wire hook up to the ignition switch?

Mark

I am using the factory mini starter, and yes the positive cable hooks directly to the large lug on the solenoid. I also have the main power leads for the engine and chassi nelectical systems attached to the large lug on the solenoid on the starter. The only wire that goes to the small tang on the solenoid is the start wire from the switch.

Thanks, that is easy. What wiring did you use for your car?

I bought a harness from E Z Wiring and now trying to decipher the Datsun wiring diagram. The ignition switch has a black w/blue stripe wire that just disappears off the wiring diagram and I can't seem to find where it goes to. Does anyone happen to know where it goes? The wiring harness has five wire that goes to the ignition switch and the switch has five wires, I am not sure where this one wire goes. I will post in the wiring section also.

I appreciate the help.

Mark

I am using most of the factory datsun wiring, although I have simplified it where ever I could. I am also using the Ford engine harness and computer. I got rid of the Ford alternator and went to a Powermaster 1- wire alternator (no external regulator). There is very little overlap of the Ford and Datsun wiring. The computer really only needs power, ground, and wiring from the fuel pump relay to the fuel pump. I also added a relay in the ignition circuit to protect the Datsun switch as I believe the TFI ignition draws more current than the stock Datsun set-up.

From my 260Z service manual, the Black/Blue wire BL goes from the ignition switch to the C-5 connector (green) to middle terminal of the ballast resistor for the ignition coil. This wire is hot only when the key is in the start position.

The Black/White BW wire from the ignition switch is powered while the switch is in the on position, and while in the start position. This wire branches several times and powers instruments, and the interlock relay as well as other things. This wire I cut from the connector at the inter-lock relay and redirected to power the TFI ignition (pin 30 of the ford computer).

The Black/Yellow (BY) wire goes from the ignition switch to the C-5 connector to the interlock relay and to the emergency switch. I assume that you will delete both the interlock relay and emergency switch. I would take the black /yellow wire or the Black/Blue wire and redirect it to the tang on the starter solenoid.

All of the above is from looking at my Datsun 260 factory service manual, and from Charles Probst's Ford EFI book. I would double check my observations before connecting anything.

Good Luck,

Dan McGrath

Thanks,

I was reading the instructions for the EFI harness that I should be receiving this month and do believe that it has connection to power the coil and relays for the fuel pump and computer. I will have to wait until I get that harness to know for sure.

Mark