HybridZ

SHO-Z project update. Engine test fit, SUCCESFUL!!!!

BRAAP

• Administrators

Gang, I finally got around to test fitting the SHO engine into a ’76 280 Z body. This is going to be very slow long process. I wont go into the details, suffice to say this project will not have updates for extended periods of time. Don’t worry, I plan to complete it, I also have to take care of the several other obligations I have.

Back to the project. Here is a little history on the donor engine and the test fit car. The engine came from a donor car that was purchased cheap. Shifter cable was broke, tranny stuck in 1st gear. The car drove home. The car itself was cut up and hauled away for scrap. I removed the engine from the transaxle yesterday and using my trusty John Deere tractor with the Fork Lift attachment, I dropped it into one of my Z car hulks.

Any how, in general the engine does fit and the hood will close! The crank height is close to optimum and set back is aesthetically pleasing, to me any how.

Here are the initial issue that arose.

1) The oil filter goes right through the OE Datsun steering shaft! The fix, Relocation kit. Maybe.

2) The drivers side exhaust collector flange is right on the OE Datsun steering shaft as well. The fix: Redesign the flange, maybe.

The fix for issues 1 and 2 might be able to be solved in one swoop and the benefit of less steering effort gained as well…How bout just installing an OE Ford power Rack as per Terry Oxendale which will move the steering shaft over further away from the engine all together. I have one of these racks at my disposal and I own a custom built cross member for the Z that holds this rack. I’ll post back after I try this.

3) In placing the engine as far back as I did, this puts the throttle valve in the firewall, right into the wiper motor and partly into the horizontal shelf/floor under the wiper motor. I have heard that the intake plenum on the SHO engine can be flipped around and with some mods will work. Ok, Now I have been SHOWN that the plenum CAN be flipped so the throttle valve is on the front of the engine. I would like to thank the nameless hybrid Z person that sent me those photos.

4) The oil pan does hang down below the front cross member approx ¾”- 1”. I might end up raising the engine up approx ½” when all is said and done and I’m not afraid to shorten the pan so it doesn’t hang below the front cross member. In Z that sits at stock ride height, this wouldn’t be too much of an issue but my experience with lowered Z cars, and with my Chev V-8 swaps, if the pan hangs below the cross member it will drag the ground and hit on speed bumps. I shorten the pan and clearance the oil pickup and problem is relived, tough not altogether fixed.

5) The A/C pump sits REAL close the driver side frame rail. The car that is going to receive this engine is a ’75 280 that is a factory A/C car and I hope to retain the A/C, (Getting old and now so creature comforts are taking priority over out and out race car performance, LOL).

I prefer to have the engine as far back as possible but there is always going to be some compromises made in doing this. Just how much cutting welding and fabrication am I willing to do? Not a whole lot. It looks as though my SHO swap will have the front of the engine maybe an inch or two forward of where my JTR Chev V-8 swaps landed. Engine looks good in this location as well.

I took LOTS of pics, oil pan below the cross member, under the hood clearance of the intake plenum, etc. and will have them up on the net within a day or so..

BTW…. I am in the market for a 5 speed with the bell housing to fit the SHO engine, (convert it to RWD). If anyone knows where I can pick one up, I can make worth their while…

The intake can be turned around. I got that far on the conversion before I quit due to parts issues. The top of the timing belt cover needs to be trimmed. If the engine does not have EGR, non Calif, the EGR casting needs to be ground off smooth, with EGR will have to have the hole welded shut after grinding. I cut 6 spacers out of 3/8" Fanolic Plastic to raise intake to clear. The wiring will have to be lengthened and shortened to fit the new location. I emailed you some pictures of the engine with the intake turned around.

Also here is the best information I found on putting a SHO in anything you want.

http://members.cox.net/rdgrauman/Healey.html

Good Luck on the conversion.

• Administrators

SHO-Z

Thank you for the pictures. I have corrected my initial post.

BTW, do you still have the shop manual and gaskets for sale? If so, post me off forum. I am VERY interested in these items…

• Administrators

I removed the OE Datsun cross member and installed my custom made cross member for the Ford Power Rack and pinion and attached a borrowed Ford Power rack to it for more test fitting of the SHO in the Z. Clearance for the exhaust flange is much better yet the oil filter is still in the way. Looks like a filter relocation kit will be necessary. I’ll take some more pics tomorrow and hopefully can put them up for you to see. It seems as though my ISP is having ISSUES so I wasn’t able to post the pics I took showing the hood clearance, oil pan clearance etc. Maybe tomorrow…