HybridZ

Painless harness to Z column harness (headlight combo switch

georgiaz

oops :) sorry for not responding earlier...I didnt even know this thread had come back again. I have some time this weekend, so I promise to take lots of pictures, compile my notes and post regarding this. In the future though Its probably best to just PM me, guaranteed I will respond much faster :)

Thanks Sparks.... I'm greatfull

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 months later...

Hey Guys, I have a 72 240Z that is in dire need of a new wiring harness. Have by passed starter relay that fried along with a few other things such as all lights. She'll start right up and goes like stink but the wiring under the dash is totally shot. Doing some weird things. I want to do this myself and feel with the right amount of patience I can but don't know what aftermarket harness to get or to try a used one from salvage yard. Any advice you can give would be appreciated. Thanks

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

On the following wires I think it's important to know how to energize them... This drove me nuts...

932 is the Brown FEED for parking/gauge lights and needs a switched 12v source. On the stalk, as the guys have mentioned the green/white and green/black wire are the two you want to use for 927/929/930. I ran a jumper off the main red/black feeder to the red wire on the stalk and jumped it over to the green/black. Then I ran 927/929/930 (all brown) to the green/white.

Now all my parking/gage lights work off the switch!

Mike

Mike, Glad you got it sorted.

Can anyone explain how the painless harness hooks up to a 280z alternator/voltage regulator? Not really sure where the wire labeled: 'Alternator Exciter' or 'Solenoid Power' goes. Thanks.

Not sure, most of the painless kits are built towards rewiriring utilizing GM alternator with the internal regualtor. I personally went w/ a 1-wire hook up. There is no reason you couldn't swap your alt over to the GM one.

Can anyone explain how the painless harness hooks up to a 280z alternator/voltage regulator? Not really sure where the wire labeled: 'Alternator Exciter' or 'Solenoid Power' goes. Thanks.

Pusher, did you see my simular posts on the ALT stuff? Exciter wire probably needs a 6Amp diode with the strip towards the Alt, hook the wire to the #1 post. For the #2 post, make a little jumper to the BATT post.

Other thread...http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=128977

• 8 months later...

First off, I just want to say thanks and show my appreciation to those who have posted on this thread with answers. It has really helped. Thanks again.

Okay, I cant find anything on the wiper "Amp assy INT. wiper". I just need to know what wire does what so I can finish installing the painless wiring harness. If anyone know or can direct me in a better path. Please let me know. Thank you in advance.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

hey i'm new to this forum and i have a 72 240z. I decided to go with a not so painless wiring harness 18 circuit and can't seem to figure out where a few wires go. i've got most of the answers i was looking for on this thread but i wanted to know if anyone has a picture of the wiring between the voltage regulator and the alternator. original wires or painless wires. this is the only thing left for me and i can't seem to get this down right. i don't know what wires really go to the voltage regulator. diving me crazy.

I took out the old alt, voltage regulator, and am swapping in a GM 12si unit. Search Gm 12si and there are a couple threads on the subject and other Gm altenators.

I found the one by hizandherz very helpful. Im having a friend and electrician wire mine but i purchased the EZ 21 circuit harness and it had an altenator circuit in the fuze box, forgoing the need for the fusible links and the altenator has a voltage regulator already built in.

The Ez wiring harness I have is Gm based to the altenator wired right up. When Its all finished Ill try to put up pics in a seperate thread.

• 6 months later...

Anyone having any issues with fuses tripping on thier painless harnesses?

Currently my turnsignal fuse will last about 10 minutes, and when it goes, I loose the dash lights, guages stop working, turn signals stop, and brakes stop. I don't recall having this issue in the past, but to be honest, I just got the car back home after having it in storage for a year or so.

Any thoughts? I think I might have too much of a load on that circuit and didn't realize I had everything wired up on the same one. But the wires are labled, so that doesn't make a lot of sense, but this was my first wiring job...

Thanks.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry to ask such a stupid question but...

On the combo switch, are the wires on either side of that 9 pin plug the same colors?

I dont have the harness side of it! Havent been able to find one at a yard either :\