HybridZ

ZX-R stripes and wing.

ZXR_KiD

I have recently got my hands on a '79 280ZXR wich I rescued from a junkyard.

I have great hopes of restoring it... the big problems are the fact that the car needs new paint wich will result in needing the new vynal and the wing has been pulled from the car.

I have been to a couple dealerships and many websites looking for original vynal and so far have turned up nothing in the way of replacements. does anyone know if they are still availible through any vendors, or by chance have a set of unused factory replacement decals?

my other question I have is if anyone knows for a fact if the wing is still availible. I have been told that courtesy Nissan still has them availible and I don't know if they are still in the NISMO parts catalog.

or I have read posts from owners of ZXRs that have had the wing removed, if any of you still have the wing and would be willing to part with it at a resonable price it would be greatly appriciated.

thanx

WOW, what kind of moron junks a car that there were only 1000 of? :twak: Good luck for you I guess, if you can find all the parts needed to restore it though! :D

I think I also heard that the wing is still avaliable through Nissan.

Guy

Welcome aboard too! :D

thnx for the welcome. I was extreamly surprised to find the car myself. the real shocker is I managed to get a clean title on it, and beleive it or not it is already on the road.

the previous owner never junked out the title when she sent the car to the yard, after lots of tracking the people at the DMV actually found her and got in contact for me, and she ordered a duplicate title and it was done... she said the motor was leaking something and wasn't running for pennies when she junked it but all I did was find a battery and it fired right up and ran fine.

Im sorry did you say the DMV helped you? :shock: Wow everytime I go in there I end up with a headache and high blood pressure because if you dont have everything filled out exactly right you have to go back to the end of the line!!!!!!!!! :x

Thats unbeileveable that the title is clean. Talk about a good luck! :D

Guy

Dude first off all welcome, and CONGRATS... hope you keep it stock!!

(wrong site to state this :lol:)

There is a guy on car domain that IMHO wrecked it with bigger wheels taint and stuff.

I guess when you want to get your hands on the vinyl TONYD might be the only one with a lead... Otherwhise you need to custom remake them at a grafic desing shop.. not cheap prolly ( 200 bucks orso) but worth it!

In the last four years i have seen 3 ZXR tails pass Ebay, i was in on the bid on most of them but the prize was getting out of hand, so sadly i need to get a MSA 930 style..(AKA the BBQ deck). not OEM.. I start to like it more now since my project got extremer but... the moral of this story is... they are out there

any pics of the ride?

Frank

I'll try to get some pics of it up by tonite altho I'll warn you now it's not exactly pristine.

I do plan on restoring it to full stock but adding the basic bolt on performance parts such as shocks, springs, and the recommended airdam for the front, possibly a tempory turbo motor swap for SCCA Autocross competition, I think the only addition that might end up being permanent would be a possible roll bar installation but I'm still considering.

I know awile back I was in contact with another owner of a ZXR who managed to have a set of still sealed stripes for replacement use, but that was on another forum that I have lost contact with.

no those aren't the stock wheels... I beleive they are ARs, the previous owner had those installed.

the ZXR was more or less striped down from the other 280ZXs. they did not have cruise, t-tops (slicktops where still availible on other ZXs) or even power steering.

the stripes are the obvious difference in the pictures but the real difference is that the car had the large rubber whale tail, used on the IMSA race cars, installed from factory. Nissan made the ZXR because the rules for the IMSA race series stated that if the car had more than a 2 inch tall lip spoiler, there must be at least 1000 vehicles with the larger wing availible for consumer purchase and street use. so nissan built exactly 1000 homologation units with the wings

I used to have a ZX-R wing on my 240Z but when I got my carbon fiber hatch the wing came off. It sold for $100 about a week later. Here are a couple of pictures where you can see the wing although not real well...

modules.php?op=modload&name=coppermine&file=displayimage&album=lastup&cat=11963&pos=7

modules.php?op=modload&name=coppermine&file=displayimage&album=lastup&cat=11963&pos=9

By the way my wife found that wing in the wrecking yard when I took her with me... she wanted to do some treasure hunting for the car.

I don't know why the pictures are not coming up but here are the links http://hybridz.org/nuke/modules.php?op=modload&name=coppermine&file=displayimage&album=lastup&cat=11963&pos=9 http://hybridz.org/nuke/modules.php?op=modload&name=coppermine&file=displayimage&album=lastup&cat=11963&pos=7

Dragonfly

Guest glaureglin

Good Luck on finding the wing, but get your rear hatch replaced first! It's spongy under all that duct tape!

I'd let you suck some more of my vapor trail outta the Black Pearl, but I think I've got some rod knock, and am putting it up on blocks (so to speak) until my garage gets finished. Then I got a l28et and a borg-warner T5 lined up for my conversion. :)

Later!

• 4 weeks later...
There is a guy on car domain that IMHO wrecked it (ZXR) with bigger wheels taint and stuff.

Ya, I know him. The car has a totally custom rebuilt performance non-turbo engine. New sound system, extra chrome stripes down the side, stuck right to the paint... lost of window stickers. :? The engine sounds good though... he's a nice guy though. Very Z knowledgable.