HybridZ

LS1 Fuel tank install

CruxGNZ

My impression was that the 'maro tank was lighter than the datsun unit. I presume you weighed the whole assembly, including the beefy brackets, to arrive at 41lbs.

My 14ga (overkill) tirewell cover weighed (by feel, not scale) more than the old tirewell. I'm hesitant to weld the cover in place. Mine's installed with screws so I can remove the whole thing if I need to get at something.

Your 73 240 must have a much different filler than my 71. Mine had a very, very large, stiff plastic filler that I had to remove just to get the 'maro tank in place. And it was a huge pain to remove too. Had to cut it up with a sawzall.

None of you felt compelled to put in a crash brace behind the tank?

I know at some point I will have to put in a fuel cell - which is a damn shame since this fbody tank fits so nicely.

Yes, I weighed the whole thing, the tank and brackets to get at 41 lbs..

I figured that all 240Z's had the same filler? I guess not.

I didn't even think of putting a crash brace behind mine. Just more weight anyways :lol: .

Why do you have to install a fuel cell?

!M!

It would have been SO EASY to do it upside down!

:lol:

Well that makes four of us now with the LS1 fuel tank. Do you have pictures of your brackets? Did you use the two long 240Z straps?

!M!

Here is a picture of my mounting brackets you were asking about.Straps came from a 300ZX...A little wider then most.Still need to get this stuff powercoated' date='all in good tme.

[img']http://hybridz.org/photopost/data/500/5140DSC01613-med.JPG[/img]

My impression was that the 'maro tank was lighter than the datsun unit. I presume you weighed the whole assembly' date=' including the beefy brackets, to arrive at 41lbs.

My 14ga (overkill) tirewell cover weighed (by feel, not scale) more than the old tirewell. I'm hesitant to weld the cover in place. Mine's installed with screws so I can remove the whole thing if I need to get at something.

Your 73 240 must have a much different filler than my 71. Mine had a very, very large, stiff plastic filler that I had to remove just to get the 'maro tank in place. And it was a [i']huge[/i] pain to remove too. Had to cut it up with a sawzall.

None of you felt compelled to put in a crash brace behind the tank?

I know at some point I will have to put in a fuel cell - which is a damn shame since this fbody tank fits so nicely.

I havnt seen the Marco tank...I know the LS1 tank is lighter then the Datsun unit for sure.It's plastic and the mounts I made are pretty light too.The fuel pump is internal so you cant even hear it.I welded the 16ga cover in and thought about fabricating a door to acess it, if I need to.I probaly wont because I can just unbolt the straps.I am going to dynamat the rear of the car.I fabriacted a filler out of 2 mandrell pieces of tubing but I'm going to use the stock Camaro filler.Works perfect.I used to have a huge plastic tube when i got the car from Cyrus but I had to change that real quick.

Never thought about a crash brace behind the tank.There is no room for a brace or anything that is going to help.If someone rear ends me.......they better hope my car blows up with me in it. :twisted:

I like your bracket design much better than mine! It also uses OEM tank straps off of a later model vehicle which I like. Where were you a few weeks ago? :lol:

I believe jeromio was refering to the Camaro tank when he said "'maro". :wink: I see you are going to use the stock Camaro filler also. Are you going to fit it (make it work), in the same manner as I am? Or do you have a crafty way to adapt it to the Datsun filler? Although, I don't think it can get any easier than putting a hose clamp around Datsun filler tube, capturing the Camaro filler when it's inside the Datsun filler tube.

!M!

• 6 years later...

I know this is an old thread but if anyone downloaded the pics to go with this thread I would love to get a copy. It seems I am having to go this route as my 76 280Z tank is junk after being boiled out, there is still too much rust inside.

I have the LT1 V8 conversion and was starving for fuel at WOT anyway

PM or email me thanks

Greg

• 8 years later...
On 8/4/2011 at 6:00 PM, gvincent said:

I know this is an old thread but if anyone downloaded the pics to go with this thread I would love to get a copy. It seems I am having to go this route as my 76 280Z tank is junk after being boiled out, there is still too much rust inside.

I have the LT1 V8 conversion and was starving for fuel at WOT anyway

PM or email me thanks

Greg

I second this, if anyone has the photos.

Doug