HybridZ

280zx turbo vs chevy v8

Guest SlateFox

Guest SlateFox

in terms of racing, ive heard that the v8 z can beat the turbo z from 0-60 but after that the turbo will rip the v8. is this true? i am kinda researching peoples opinions to see whether or not to get a v8 or 280zx turbo put in my 79 280zx.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....whether or not to get a v8

The term V8 is so loosely used that the uninformed thinks it means instant power and speed. A V8 is not a V8 is not a V8 and there are so many variations of a "Chevy V8" it makes your head spin. There are Chevy V8s that in a Z would have a tough time beating a stock NA L6. Do not swap in "a V8" just to have a V8 if you are after performance. Learn which V8 models have performance built-in so you do not spend a ton of dough just to get it to perform decent or wonder why a lightly-modded L28ET beats the pants off of it.

As for your specific question, it is best answered if you state your performance goal, budget and mechanical skills. No slight intended, but since you are on this forum, a stock L28ET in a 79 280ZX is not a quick car by ANY measure. Any decent performance V8 will outperform it but do you have the skill to pull off the V8 swap? If you have the budget to add the right mods to the L28ET then things get interesting. Bottom-line is, there is no single answer w/o a clearer question and answering some other questions first.

Whatever you do, do not buy a "cheap" V8 because that is all you can afford. The price of the engine is the tip of the iceberg so if you are on a budget go with the L28ET and research this forum for low-$ mods. If yoiu have the $$$ and skill to do the V8, you have come to the right place. Do some research and learn which engines are the best choice and find a member who has already pulled it off and make him your next best buddy.

Good luck.

I have not had a turbo but My 383 chevy V8 works good for me.

Although I am sure there are faster ones around I have yet to run into one at any of dragstrips that I go to.

I do not do much 1/4 mile racing mostly all 1/8th mile but I do go somewhere almost every weekend threw out the summer months. The last 1/4 mile pass I made was a 9.53 with a 1/8th mile time of 6.07 But now that the weather has been getting a little cooler I have been putting together a string of 6.02's the last few weeks. I am bracket racing and trying more for consistency than just ET so I am leaving the line at 3800 rpm to help hook on a less than perfect track. I believe that if I was to turn the leave RPM up to 4500 5.90's in the 1/8th would be no problem.

Add a little N20 and it would really be a wild ride.

Guest SlateFox

If you have the budget to add the right mods to the L28ET then things get interesting.

what do you mean by this? do you mean that if i put enough mods, work, and time into a turbo L28 then it could get really quick? ive read that people say to get a V8 and then ive read people saying to get the Turbo. how quick and "interesting" can a good turbo get rebuilt?

I've owned 2, 81 turbo's. I sold one and am running the second. I'm here to tell you, even my 77Jag XJS with a stock 350 Vette engine will out run both turbo's.

Well I made my decision years ago and am happy with it. Either option built well and intelligently will give you some awesome performance, and without breaking the bank too. There are probably over a hundred 12 second Z cars belonging to members of this site, and lots of them representing each engine option.

1) Decide what you want from the car.

2) Search and read a bunch here on how others have accomplished it.

3) Decide on an engine.

4) Research how to get than engine to meet your goals.

A piece of cake!

If you're looking for something fast, go with a turbo motor. It's much easier, less fabrication, and cheaper in the long run (trust me on this one). If you want something that turns the heads of the in-the-know crowd with something unique, go for the V8 swap.

If you go the V8 route, keep this in mind. It will take AT LEAST 3 times at long as you plan for (probably longer) and cost AT LEAST double what you estimate, maybe more if you get the "while I'm at it" syndrome.

I started out doing a simple drivetrain swap from a 72 chevy PU to a 1981 280 ZX (estimating 3 weeks and 1200 bucks). Three years and $6Klater, the car actually ran and drove, but still had no paint, interior, or suspension work done. The only thing I ended up using from the truck was the engine block itself.

A turbo motor, on the other hand, can usually be swapped in for well under 1000.00 from a junkyard, and everything bolts up the first time. You can get the motor running well, then add a big intercooler and turn up the boost for some go-fast fun!

Just my $.02 ......

Bill

I started out doing a simple drivetrain swap from a 72 chevy PU to a 1981 280 ZX (estimating 3 weeks and 1200 bucks). Three years and $6Klater, the car actually ran and drove, but still had no paint, interior, or suspension work done.

How would you have avoided "paint, interior, or suspensions work" by going turbo?

Let me answer that one for you Labrat. The answer seem very plain to me. Since I have also performed an over budget/over time V-8 conversion I feel I can answer this one.

The 6,000.00 in mods he spent for the V8 conversion could have been done much cheaper for a turbo conversion (1000.00). Then he could spend the "saved" money on the paint, interior, and suspension instead for just V8 conversion stuff.

However, I have also done a turbo conversion and it seem to add up also. Maybe 2K is a better estimate.

So with NO syndrome and just the basic swap with an LSD in say a 70' 240z, how much does the BASIC swap for a V8 cost?

a trubo VG30DETT?

--------------

These to me after YEARS of research are the best ideas here, it took me a long time to figure out wich L6 is the best, rb this 2j that vq this all bull crap - there is a reason the worlds FASTEST and QUICKEST skyline in japan that wins ALL the races has a VG in it... just a note to those guys doing rb stuff and supra stuff. The lower you get the power the better by the way. a 0-60 street car matters more to me...

that's why I've switched to muscle cars quicker for cheaper than all this new import crap.

--

I'm now touching in on the z stuff completley awsome for what kind of milage you COULD get. I was looking at a 70' buick GSX with a 70' Caddy 500 swap. With an aluminum intake the engine onbly weighs 40 pounds heavier than a sbc. And has 425hp with 530 torque at only 2500rpm ...that's almost at idle! You can also pick up this engine for only 200 bucks at the junk yard. The problem is that you get about 10mpg at average 12 even on the hyway... i'm new here just thought to let people know some past stuff so you all don't think i'm a complete newbie at this.

---

--------------

In any case what are the two costs -average time each? And special tools needed? And so on...

I'm doing a 5.0 stang swap into my 72. By doing a lot of research, asking questions, bargin shopping, ebay, 99% of the work myself. I've got around 600 bux, give or take 50, into my car so far. That includes the car also. My goal is build one for 1500.00 or less. I still have to get the driveshaft fabbed, and buy wheels (69.00 each) and have the sidepipes welded up. I have the paint and the tools to do it. This is by far the cheapest and easiest swap I've ever done.

I keep looking at my 76 and thinking.....Damn, I've got that 350 in the Jag I never drive.....

You should use the engine you have the most resources, knowledge, and desire to use.

That does not matter to me I will learn about that engine anyway... besides a 500 cubic inch engine is going to be hard pressed to fit in a tiny 240z heck a 350 is a tight fit from what I have seen.

I just care about cost. (to a certain extent)

Guest SlateFox

hmm... so does anyone know how much estimated hp my car can put out with a turbo engine AND a V8? like ive heard and read so many things but the numbers keep bouncing around... just seeing if itll bounce around anymore... so far its kinda around 180 stock and i can get 300+ with mods... is that about right or am i missing something?

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

You can build a 300hp sbc for $500 including the cost of the engine, and you can easily build a 500hp sbc for $1500-$2k, depending on how good a shopper you are and how much labor you do yourself. Then add a 250hp shot of nitrous on top of that for <$500.

Guest Blazer406

As if you didn't have enough to think about...... there is the twin turbo V8 that I plan on doing. There are many people on the net in the past few years that have made 750-1000 HP at the rear wheels on pump gas. I can't wait. :twisted: