HybridZ

Sr20det or 1jzgte

Guest Z2nr

I have been pondering for weeks of what engine would go best in a 240z. I have been debating between the sr20 and the 1jz.

They both seem to be promising engine, I previously considered the vg, but it's a little bit of a tight fit, seems hard to work on and expensive to install.

Are there any real differences between teh 1jz an Sr engine? I have heard that the Sr stock bottom end can take 450+whp, is the 1jz just as durable, after all the 2jz is a monster, I am guessing that the 1jz is no different.

I know that the Sr is proably a bit ligher being a 2.0l 4cyl and having an alu. block, but the .5l of displacement and almost rb26 like stock horsepower are tempting.

What are the pros and cons of each swap, the 1jz seems to be cheaper also, 1600 for a front clip from venus auto.

What is the general concensus?

I don't understand, you think that putting a 2.5l turbo JDM engine is sacrilegious, but it's not to put a Chevy 350 small block...

At least the engine is similar and is it is from Japan. I know it's a toyota, but fast is fast. If the Sr20 is costs more and makes less power, then why? I know the sr20 is a cool engine, and really stout for a stock engine, but so is the 1jz.

It's pretty much an rb25 for about the price of or less than an sr20, and with better stock turbos. I think it would be nice. plus later on if you wanted that real supra power, you could do the 1.5jz-gte conversion and bold a 2jz short block right up to it.

The only weak link is the stock turbo, which is no good and has been known to shatter past 1bar, and the stock head gasket has been known to fail at about 1.6 bar.

The 1jz just seems to have more to offer IMO.

Well... comparing 1jz with sr20 is almost like comparing apples and oranges.. it really depends on how much modification you want to put on it. 1jz imo tends to give you a little more torque for its mere consumption on fuel..

Now that I think about it CrayZ, it is an unfair comparison, what about the rb25 and the 1jz, that is more comparable.

Turbo straight 6 2.5l vs twin turbo straight 6 2.5l. That is a more fair comparison. The Sr and the Rb are both great motors, but if you can Rb power for an Sr price why not do it, is all I am saying.

You can get a nice 1jz front clip between 1500-3000 it all depends. Who cares about rules, and following the norm. Why is putting a toyota engine in a datsun so bad?!

It isn't bad at all man, do it!!!!!!! There are a few around here allready done, it's a sweet swap and makes tons of sense to me. I'd never put an SR20DET into a Z... and I know the potential of that motor. The severe lack of anything resembling power below 3500rpm is a bit of a turn off for street/autocross duty in my eyes.

The 1JZ has the best sounding exhaust note of any japanese engine in my opinion. Not to mention, The Tourer V 1JZ-GTE is about 3300-3400 pounds... and with a tuned ECU and boost up, the car hauls ass!

When I lived in Japan, one of my favorite things to race were 1JZ powered cars... they go fast pretty easily. I bet it would rock in a Z!

I've always wanted to put a 1JZ in an old Celica. That would keep the Toyota thing in line... I prefer to stick with the original company... but whatever you want do, who cares? Fast is fast.

The exhaust is on the passenger side in that engine, so downpipe clearance is easier, but pipe running to the muffler wouldn't be.

The 1jz just sounds like fun. I would go rb, but they are crazy expensive, for the samething.

What is the best year 1jz to get, I heard the trannys are kinda weak (w58) but I heard the tranny from the 7m (r154) is bulletproff, is that true.

The 1jz is a far less tuned engine, which is good making them cheap, but there is not as much aftermarket support here in the states for it, but I think it's worth it.

Hey Z2nr, what exactly do you mean by the 1J being cheaper b/c is a "far less tuned engine?" The only reason the 1J is cheaper than the RB is supply and demand. The two reasons the RB motors are expensive is that they are from the infamous Skyline, and there are kits to install the RB motors into the 240SX. The skyline swaps are "cool" because you can tell ppl that you have a skyline motor in your car.

The reason for the RB swaps in the 240SX is that is a lot easier than sticking a 1 or a 2J into it. A stand alone ECU is almost a requirement in doing cross breeds. Onece you factor in the cost of the motor, ecu, and tuning, it's worth going w/ an RB.

On a car that has no ECU to speak of (like the Z :D ), doing a cross breed is almost as simple as plug & play (except for the mounting, of course).

As for the comparison b/w the SR and the 1J being comparing apples to oranges, I'm not 100% that I agree. True, it has two extra cylinders and 500cc more of displacement, but look @ the price. A FRONT CLIP of a 1J costs as much as an SR20 motor set. The RB25 CAN (not does. . . I know there are exceptions) can cost twice as much, for a front clip, as the 1J. And all that $$$ for what? Bragging rights? I, for one, think that if you're trying to go w/ an I-6 turbo swap, the 1J is the least expensive, yet VERY rewarding way to go. (yes, the RB20 might be around the same price, but the 1J will be much more rewarding)

If you're torn b/w the SR and the 1J, look at the power potential. I don't think. . . well, I hope not, anyway. . . that ppl think that the SR is a "better" motor than the 1J.

The only problem w/ the 1J, and it's a big one, as it's been mentioned in this thread, is the lack of aftermarket support in the US. You can't go to a nissan tuning shop and NOT find at least one part for the SR, whereas w/ the 1J. . . well. . . you know what I mean :wink:

But, I guess, if you want the best aftermarket support in the States, you'd go w/ a V8, huh?

I totally agree with karay240 I personally think that the 1jz is a reasonable swap. I think that it is worth the money IMO. I don't think it's worth the prestigue ($$$$$) to buy an rb26.

Like you said the main problem is the aftermarket support is next to nothing for the 1jz.

I still think the Sr is a great engine, I am even still considering purchasing a Redtop s13, I found 1 for a great price. But the 1jz is tempting.

I am trying to run low 12 to mid 11's on a 1/4mi do you think that it is worth it to purchase the 1jz or should I just get an Sr and do bolt-ons?

It's such a hard choice, both of these engines are so great the only thing about the 1jz that I heard was bad was the the w58 tranny that comes with it is kinda weak, I've have heard that the r154 tranny is bulletproof. Doesn't that tranny come with the 7m-gte, how hard is it to fit up that tranny to the 1jz?

Because if the tranny is weak, and has low aftermarket support, I might just have to go with the sr, which I know has a robust tranny and lot of aftermarket support in case I grenade one.

As long as you can keep the headgasket from blowing, the 7M is capable.

Over in Japan, all the 1JZ powered Supras pretty much crushed 99% of the 7M supras. 280hp stock VS 230?. Bolt ons and ECU tune to 400hp, you can't beat that.

The RB26 can do that as well, though... so its really up to whatever you want under YOUR hood.

Anybody done a hybrid on the 1jz/2jz engine? I have heard that you can put the 1jz head onto the 2jz bottom end? I believe this has been done here in NZ on a Toyota Drag car currently runs high 9s but looking to get to the 8s with more driving and tuning.

I'd not go the 1JZ route. Jim Pearl-AKA BLKMGK has done a TON of research on the 1JZ vs. 2JZ motor and he is actually contemplating getting rid of his 383 stroker in his Z and putting a 2JZ in... I'd either go the 2JZ route or do the SR20-DET...I agree with the others that the Skyline motor, although nice, is gonna come at a premium (As might the 2JZ).

The reason I'd lean HARD towards the 2JZ is that the support in the US for the last generation Supra is HUGE here, and parts resources are MUCH DEEPER than other powerplants... Can you get parts for the RB motor? SURE. How long will it take, and how long are you willing to wait.

Just some things to think about... 8)

Mike

Mikelly, I don't know if I agree with you, yes the 2jz has more support here, similar to the Sr, BUT... the complete 2jz w/6spd Getrag is VERY expensive. It is about a 6500 motor!!!

The main benefit of the 2jz engine over the 1jz are turbo upgrades. If you want to upgrade the turbo and you want a TON of choices, go with the 2jz, but I will mostly likley be leaving the motor stock, bpu 1jz's can make 350-400whp enough to put a 240z into the 11's!.

The main benefit IMO is the bulletproof 6spd, but for the price difference I could just buy a new getrag and mate it up to my 1jz.

I think that the 1jz is my choice. The sr will require lots of mods to make the power of a BPU 1jz could reliably.

It is true, it can be done. BUT the cost of doing that far surpasses the cost of a 1jz. A redtop sr is about 2200 plus at least 1,000 for a turbo upgrade then injectors, fuel pump, ecu, fpr, upgraded maf, fuel rail, turbo manifold etc...

It's all the things necessary for that turbo upgrade, where as a 1jz can do it on the stock injectors, turbo, and ecu.