HybridZ

Sr20det or 1jzgte

Guest Z2nr

For the $$$ you've saved going 1J over the SR, you COULD get a nice turbo setup. . . of course this is stated in comparing the SR motor set and the 1J front clip. (w/ the motor set, you're going to need an intercooler, piping, MAF<most of the time, anyway>, and other misc. parts that are needed to complete the swap)

After all is said and done, I'm thinking you're going to save AT LEAST a grand going 1J front clip over the SR motor set. . . the choice is yours, but if you're wantig the best JDM bang for the buck, I'd say it's the 1J.

We've touched on the subject of down time before, but here's the best advice that I can give anybody. . . If this is your daily driver, and you can't go w/o your car, don't even consider a JDM swap. Your best bet would be to keep the L series or use a domestic motor. B/c no matter how "bulletproof" your motor is, if you drive the car long enough, it IS going to have problems, and it's going to be YOU that will be w/o a car for the month or two it takes for you to get the part you need and install it.

Kenny

http://www.rbmotoring.com

I don't really understand this last post, no matter what engine JDM or USDM if it's you daily driver it will die eventually, especially if you beat on it like a red headed step child.

I honestly think that now and even in the near future, if you have problems with lets say an Sr motor, there will be so much aftermarket support for that engine that fixing it will be as simple as fixing any performance car.

Honestly why would a JDM engine not survive here in the US? The sr20det is similar to many 2.0l performance engines like the Evo 8's 4g63.

I honestly think for someone with a daily driver that an Sr is the better motor, more support incase you break stuff (which is possible if you race/daily drive).

I think what karay240 is getting at is that 'stock' replacement/maintenance parts are more readily available for a USDM motor. That's one of the reasons I'm thinking about the 7M. I know that if I have any problems with it I can run on over to the Toyota dealership and get whatever I need to get it going again. It's a whole different ball game with a JDM motor. Sure... the aftermarket is starting to support some of these motors, but what about stock replacement components?

It is true that there will be more PLACES to locate OEM maintenance/replacement part for domestic engines like the l28et or something like that, but there is a place I use to use that has just about ANY oem Sr20det part you could think of.

I used these people when I had my Sr power s13, Superior Nissan of Puente Hills.

http://www.superiornissanmotorsports.com/store/

If you can't find an OEM part for you car from them, it doesn't exist. They have EVERYTHING for the Sr20det motor.

I will likely be doing the 1jz swap, but for the people that are going to be daily driving their Z's and want some more power, I think that the Sr20det is the best JDM engine choice.

They actually had everything in stock?

That's pretty impressive. That's what were trying to do w/ the RB 26, but there are sooo many variables. For example, the bearings, there are so many different combinations of bearings that, even though they are cheap individually, once you add all of those together, it becomes an astronomical $$$.

I know that's not really the case w/ the SR, since there is a US counterpart when it comes to a majority of the parts. The thing, though, is that any import car, whether offered domestically or not, will take longer to get parts for when compared to any popular domestic V8. That was the point I was trying to make earlier in this thread. The difference may only be a day or two, but you can't beat the convenience of getting the part the same day you need it at (insert your favorite auto parts store). . . btw, this paragraph only applies to ppl that don't live near Superior Nissan. lol.

As I've been bolting on performance parts to my 7M motor I haven't thought, man I wish I could have gotten this stainless steel header from my dealership, or these larger injectors from PepBoys, this front mount intercooler from Wal-Mart. These parts would probably be too much for me to afford buying them new anyways.

You can find nice aftermarket tubular headers on eBay for the 1jz (single turbo conversion ones), bolt on any turbo to any engine, feed more fuel the same way you would your L28. I can't say I know much about the RB engine, but I didn't realize you could pick up say, a head gasket, water pump, timing belt, starter, sensors locally. I don't think it would be crazy to have an extra set of a few of the named parts above.

I agree with the way this thread is leaning about the 1jz being the better choice between the two engines. Even considering other engines that could fit a Z I think the 1jz is really up there on my list for turbo charged engines. I like how the I6 is easy to work on, fits so well in the engine bay. If you weren't stuck on an inline I would consider the GN engine as an option as well.

If you're into fooling people into thinking you have the stock engine put a big Nissan sticker on the 1jz. If people don't know that there shouldn't be a 4 cylinder, or a DOHC engine in your z car then they would probably fall for it. Or just maybe a TRD badge next to a NISMO badge would be interesting, and I'm sure that would have people talking. I agree there is something neat about saying, this is a Skyline engine, or this is the supra engine from the fast and the furious. But I would rather have my car be known for being one of the quickest imports at the track, and putting that extra cash you saved by not spending the money on hype on a larger intercooler, stand alone ems, dyno time, BB turbo, ceramic coating, etc.

As far as swapping the R154 onto the 1jz, I believe all you have to do is find a 1jz bell housing. I'm not sure if it bolts right up to the R154, but lots of MA70 supra guys do this swap. If you do a search on the web you'll find a pretty detailed list on howto. The R154 is a very strong tranny. lately http://www.7mpower.com/ is having hosting problems, but there are a number of MA70 cars on there with 7m-gte/R154 making over 500hp with no problems with drive train, man those cars are heavy, too.

The exhaust on the passenger side I don't see as being any problem. Either way you go the exhaust ends up in the middle of the car right after the tranny, so at that point the exhaust would be just the same bends out the back. I am putting the battery behind the passenger seat, and have moved my brake lines slightly to keep them away from the heat. I think moving the battery was a good idea anyways. Clifton didn't move his battery, and I understand it gets very hot there in AZ.

Really hope someone on this list does this swap, so there are less questions in some peoples minds about doing it. If I had found a 1jz for the same price as my 7M I would have done it.

It is true' date=' it can be done. BUT the cost of doing that far surpasses the cost of a 1jz. A redtop sr is about 2200 plus at least 1,000 for a turbo upgrade then injectors, fuel pump, ecu, fpr, upgraded maf, fuel rail, turbo manifold etc...

It's all the things necessary for that turbo upgrade, where as a 1jz can do it on the stock injectors, turbo, and ecu.[/quote']

I agree on this point.

I made 395rwhp with my SR20DET, but it was with the addition of a full fuel system, standalone EFI, big intercooler, huge turbo, etc... The internals were all stock, but there's a lot of money tied up in the other parts.

The 1JZ can make that power with less upgrades, but will still need similar parts. That all goes back to having another half a liter and 75 more horsepower stock. :)

The's something to say about the exhaust note of an inline six, too.

Hey Tony240ZT, I think you missed my point about the parts availability comment. I was only stating how much more convenient it is for the detroit V8 guys to buy performance/replacement parts for their hybrid in comparison to the hybrids w/ JDM only motors.