HybridZ

Difference between the L28 and the L28ET

1973_240Z

Hi guys,

I have a 73 240Z with a L28 P90 Head F54 Block 1970 SU carbs.

When I Bought the car I had plans on installing an L28ET however I live in Australia and have recently found out that those engines were never commercially imported.

I have managed too find a well used L28ET for sale here but the asking price for it is around AU$2000. I have not seen the engine yet but I am assuming it needs reconditioning and that will cost another AU$2500

It will only cost me AU$2500 too get the engine I already have reconditioned and it will come with a 300,000km warrenty.

My problem is I still want a turbocharged Z and I want too know is there a difference between the engine I have and the L28ET? Is it a simple matter of installing a turbo charger or are there bigger differences between the two engines?

Also how do I tell If I have Flat top or dished pistons?

Thanks,

Mike

I'm doing a turbo conversion on an L28. Currently collecting parts, but all you need is a turbo manifold and turbo really (thats if u wanna go budget++) But difference wise not much, apart from slightly different pistons and rings.

But $2000 is a good price. I've spent 2k+ importing parts. My friend spent even more just to get the engine imported! When the engine costed $300 us!

Thanks for the replys guys.

I did consider doing an RB swap but for the cost involved in buying the engine and the cost of the mods needed it didn't seem fesible.

Also I'm not aiming for a 600Hp weapon I think 300-350Hp will be all I will need and I think I can do this reliably with the L28.

I just want to make sure I get the best L28 I can. I'm just hoping that with the addition of a turbo and a change of the pistons and rings (too lower the compresion I assume) I will have an identicle engine to the L28ET.

So if anyone knows a website that has detailed info on the L-28 series engines or maybe a comparison that would be really helpful.

Thanks,

Mike

I don't know why anybody has not mentioned this, but you already have the head and block from a turbo engine.

The P90 is what the turbo engines use for a head and the F54 block is also the turbo block used.

Now, during the 1981-83 engine builds, the F54 got dished pistons for the turbo and flat top pistons for the non-turbo.

What you could do is take your engine apart and replace the pistons. This will lower your compression and allow more reliable boost. Stick on the exhaust manifold with turbo and run a turbo fuel system with computer and you'll be set. Oh, and replace the distributor.

Either buy a water cooled turbo and run water lines, or get the oil feed lines from a turbo engine and the drain runs back into the oil pan.

I'd recommend finding a set of L28ET piston/rod assemblies on Ebay. I've picked up several sets at a very reasonable price. You're looking for pistons with the same dish as the L28E pistons of '75-'79 but you want P90 stamped on the top of the piston, indicating L28 turbo '81-'83. They will be on rods that are shot-peened; unlike the non-turbo L28 rods. The rings are different for the turbo also, if I'm not mistaken.

Your F54 block and crank are the same as the turbo L28 and with a P90 or P90A head you are mostly there. Turbo injectors flow more than n/a injectors and the ECU is different so you'll want those, but otherwise it's a straight-forward conversion. DAW

• 2 weeks later...
Guest myredzed

Hi, I am also wanting to convert my motor over to a turbo, but i have the N42 head, would it be okay if I used the HKS 2mm head gasket with this head?

Also, how much would it cost to get a turbo mainfold from over there.

So all i would beed would be:

1, HG

2, manifold (do they have round or square ports?)

3, turbo (wanting to use a VG30DET turbo)

4, ECU

5, Injectors

thats all right?

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

That's $1500 US.

All you need to change is the pistons, and that's not even a MUST. Anything below 9:1 CR can be boosted. You'll know if you have flat top pistons because they'll be flat on the tops. :P

Just stick with the engine you have and get the turbo manifolds and ECU to bolt on.