HybridZ

Duramax??????????????

Guest big_bitty

Guest big_bitty

I have been tossing up the idea of a gm/isuzu duramax diesel engine for a swap. I know it is a diesel but think of this, it has 300 hp and 520 ft lbs for '02-'04 and 320 hp and 600 ft lbs for 05. I have found them on ebay for around $6500 for everything needed to do it, and add another $600 for the computer programer to get an extra 150hp and 385 ft lbs to reach an ultimate of 450-470 hp and 905-985 ft lbs. I think after seeing the 472 caddy in a z, i could makie it fit. Any opinions would be great!!!!!!!! :)

I've got one in my truck. Lots of torque, red lines at 3200 rpm. I saw and engine and tranny on the back of a flat bed, I was supprised that thing fit in my truck. It was huge!!. It would really be a different swap. I would reccomend that you measure before you buy. That allison tranny is really big. If a viper engine and tranny will fit why not a durmax. What will you be using the car for? Do you have a huge budget? You wil need lots of cash to buy new rear tires. Mark

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

DIESEL MOTORS ARE TORQUE PRODUCING MOTORS.... THEY ARE DESIGNED FOR EXTREME TORQUE FOR TOWING/HAULING APPLICATIONS SO THEY REALLY HAVE NO NEED FOR THE TOP END POWER.

THE DURAMAX AND POWERSTROKE MOTORS ARE REALLY LARGE, ON THE OTHER HAND THE CUMMINS INLINE 6 THAT BANKS PERFORMANCE USED TO GET 1300 FT-LBS OF TORQUE AND THE WORLDS FASTEST STREET LEGAL TURCK RECORD IS SIMILAR IN SIZE TO THE L SERIES MOTORS JUST HEAVIER.

I drive a turbo diesel truck every day. Not one of the huge U.S. ones but a ford courier with a 2.5 lt. It has around 86 kw and 280 nm at 2000 rpm. This truck was the best torque to weight avalable on the N.Z. market when i bought it 3 years ago. It actually gets along well as a daily driver but has similar characteristics of the big ones that i think would be unpleasent in a sports car. First the usable rpm range is very low, only 2000 rpm. There is no point in taking it past 4000 rpm and its of boost at 2000. So to keep it going you need to change gear a lot. Its inability to rev out would take away any sporting apeal. My truck even could use a 6 speed to give it a bit more top end and make open road driving more pleasant. You would also need to find a higher rear gear so you would run out of rpm at higher speed.

Douglas

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

SOME OF THE TURBO DIESEL TRUCKSHAVE GEAR RATIOS AS LOW AS 2.78 AND 6 OR 7 SPEED TRANSMISSIONS. I PERSONALLY WOULD ONLY LIKE A TURBO DIESEL WITH AN AUTO.

Guest Brian260ZT

I have a 2004.5 Chevy with the Duramax (LLY version) and Allison tranny.

590ft lbs of torque at 1600rpm.

It's an awesome engine / transmission. It would be interesting to see in a Z.. just for grins. But they're expensive. I've not seen an engine/transmissino combo for less than $8k on the Diesel boards.

Unless your building a stump puller, it would be pretty pointless.

As for a turbo diesel with a 6 speed tranny......yeah wouldnt recommend that either unless your pulling a huge load. With the new Cummins and 6 speed gear box.......1st gear only gets you to 6mph then you shift again, then at about 13mph you shift into 2nd then at about 25 mph you shift into 3rd! Yeah 3 shifts before for you get to 30mph! Now I know these big trucks have some serious gearing in the rear but damnnnnnnnnnn! :shock:

One day at work we put a 2004 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins 4X4 Duelly in 4 low to see how fast it could go.........3mph top end! in 1st! :shock: But it would pull the house right off your foundation! :twisted::lol:

Diesels are for trucks if you ask me!

Guy

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

2001 FORD F350 DUALLY:

WE START THIS BEAST IN 2ND UNLESS WE ARE TOWING AND IT'LL TAKE US UP TO 26MPH, 46MPH, 60MPH, AND I HAVEN'T GOTTEN MUCH HIGHER IN 5TH OR 6TH BECAUSE BOSSES ARE ALWAYS AROUND.

Yea, most SERIOUS dielsel motors with lots of tourque end uo not using 1st gear when not hauling.

I could only see an auto being used though, because a good auto will shift faster than you can, and that little bit will make all the difference with such a small powerband.

• 3 weeks later...