HybridZ

Question?

My friend went to the junkyard tday, and picked up a fuel pressure regulator for me, the thing that i thought was wierd is, it came from a straight-6(rare at the local junkyard), it also has the same bolt pattern-so it will bolt rite up in the stock location-no modifying, but the wierdest thing is- IT WASN'T A Z, he says it had the exact same engine setup as mine. I'm guessing its a Nissan, or a car that sum1 put a nissan engine into-did nissan make ne other cars wit an L-series engine, besides Zs and Maximas(510)?[/u]

Just the Z, Datsun 810, and 1st Gen Maxima

1977-84 is the 810/Maxima 2.4L L24 like the 240Z with fuel injection.

80's BMWs also used the same fuel injection setup as far as the AFM and computer go. They use a straight six, but the fuel rail is very different.

Well, i replaced the FPR tday, and now the car doesn't wanna start, i previously had the fuel system rigged witch a Vice grip-so that it would build enough pressure for fuel injection. I finnally got an FPR, i looked at my Haynes manual, and it said disconnect the Fuel pump relay, then crank the engine till it dies-i did that, then put in the FPR, and now it doesn't wanna work, and it had worked like 15 minutes before, any words of wisdom?

Hook up the fuel pump relay again. Turn the ignition on and depending on what model of Z you have you might hear the pump go for a couple seconds. Try cranking it for a few seconds. Then stop. Then crank again, then stop. When you disconnected the relay and started the car, you basically drained all the fuel from the lines. You'll have to work all the air out of the system.

Did you hook up the vaccume hose from the FPR to the intake manifold?

Try starting fluid to get it to fire up.

my dad suggested that i had air in the lines, so i cranked it over and over, and it doesn't wanna do nethin. Nethin else i can do?

I did use starter fluid, and it did a few turns, but died out, i know that i have gas in the fuel lines, and i have spark-i think my injectors crapped out? wht do u think?

Ya, sounds bad if it does fire up and then dies just on the starting fluid. You're not getting fresh gas in there.

Pull the return line off (near the fuel filter) and have someone crank it for a second. See if you have fuel pressure back out that way. Maybe use your vice grip idea to build pressure(just for a test). The junk yard FPR could be stuck open...? When I had one go bad, it got stuck mostly closed. I had really high fuel pressure.

The car ran before you replaced the FPR, but only with the vice grips on the return line... correct?

And you changed nothing else except to unplug and replug in the fuel pump relay.

Check to see the ECU has power (not sure how) maybe clean the contacts on it. The coil is obviously powered and not all six injectors will stop opening at once, unless they just are not getting a signal to open from the ECU.

i finnally figure out y my car doesn't run now, but did b4, my mechanic had switched the fuel lines on my car(at the beggining of the fuel rail he made it so that the incomming line was on the ongoing port), so that the incomming fuel was put under pressure by the regulator, and there was no outgoing fuel pressure, so there was not pressure on the injectors, just on the fuel pump line. It was running b4 cuz i was manually building pressure wit a wrench, this time it was backing up the fuel to the pump........switched the fuel lines, cranked it a few times, and BOOM-fired rite up, no more problems, cept i need front brakes.